3D Printing Could Save $2k a Year

Clem72

Maybe, could also be a temperature issue. So many things, it can take weeks to find the correct solution.

When buying filament even different colors of the same type, same brand can require different temperature settings, different offset and squish values.

I found it funny how so many people thought of it as a replicator.

I belong to several Facebook groups and one of the funniest statements I e seen was "all I ever use my printer for is to print 3d printing accessories and organizational crap for my wife that she can buy off Amazon already for a couple dollars"

I use mine so infrequently that I spend more time dialing in the settings then actually printing stuff. I think the last actually useful thing I printed was a replacement scoop for my pooper-scooper almost 2 years ago.

I spend even less time actually using my laser cutter/engraver (40w), and for some reason I have to talk myself out of buying a fiber laser almost weekly.

PeoplesElbow

I use mine so infrequently that I spend more time dialing in the settings then actually printing stuff. I think the last actually useful thing I printed was a replacement scoop for my pooper-scooper almost 2 years ago.

I spend even less time actually using my laser cutter/engraver (40w), and for some reason I have to talk myself out of buying a fiber laser almost weekly.
Lol

I've been wanting a laser engraver for my woodworking projects, but I'll probably only use it a handful of times.

I try to keep my printer going but I found a niche market and sell things I print.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm trying to find someone with a 3D printer that will print me a 3D printer. Then I will print two 3D printers that will give away. Then hopefully those 2 people will each create 2 more 3D printers. Before you know it, I will have achieved 3D printing MLM platinum status.

Clem72

Lol

I've been wanting a laser engraver for my woodworking projects, but I'll probably only use it a handful of times.

I try to keep my printer going but I found a niche market and sell things I print.
If you just want to mark stuff, even metal, you can get a 5-10w LED laser for $250-$350 that is actually pretty good quality. Some of the 5w guys can cut up to 10mm of hardwood now (with multiple passes) so they are almost as good as your 25-40w CO2 laser costing 10x as much.

Now if you want to cut 3d challenge coins out of copper you need a 50w fiber laser. They can cut, color, anneal, do all kinds of crazy stuff.

Here's a portable 20w Fiber using a cheap chinese source that can do 0.3mm in high detail. A bit pricier than just buying an import, but they have made about as nice a system as can be made with that particular source. Though if I ever do pull the trigger I will get a larger 50w with JPT that can cut multiple mm with a much higher frequency range (more colors/surface effects)

Clem72

FWIW, you post like someone that could use a fiber laser.

Not sure what you are implying. But you are much more likely to make money with one of those as a side hustle. Engravings guns seems to be particularly lucrative.

PeoplesElbow

If you just want to mark stuff, even metal, you can get a 5-10w LED laser for $250-$350 that is actually pretty good quality. Some of the 5w guys can cut up to 10mm of hardwood now (with multiple passes) so they are almost as good as your 25-40w CO2 laser costing 10x as much.

Now if you want to cut 3d challenge coins out of copper you need a 50w fiber laser. They can cut, color, anneal, do all kinds of crazy stuff.

Here's a portable 20w Fiber using a cheap chinese source that can do 0.3mm in high detail. A bit pricier than just buying an import, but they have made about as nice a system as can be made with that particular source. Though if I ever do pull the trigger I will get a larger 50w with JPT that can cut multiple mm with a much higher frequency range (more colors/surface effects)

My use would be for marking. The creality ender 3 has an optional laser engraving head. I don't have a creality printer though. I got a zyltech.

Clem72

My use would be for marking. The creality ender 3 has an optional laser engraving head. I don't have a creality printer though. I got a zyltech.
Don't buy the LED laser for the creative, I promise you it's crap. Low power non-focused LED and you are limited in space and have an extra z axis to throw off your alignment.

A better alternative would be the Sculpfun S9.
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Sculpfun-S9-Laser-Engraver-481992

It's a 5.5w focused LED that can cut 15mm wood at 0.08mm precision.

Normally retails around $300 though I picked it up for $260 as a gift around 6 months ago. Looks like it's on sale for $249 shipped right now from geekbuying, which is a pretty reputable importer that will ship from a US warehouse rather than drop ship. Looks like several other sites have it at a similar price right now like NewEgg (though it's through a 3rd party).

The S9 is bigger than it looks, around 16"x16" engraving area and super easy to assemble and setup (took the kid I sent it to 15-20 minutes).

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Don't buy the LED laser for the creative, I promise you it's crap. Low power non-focused LED and you are limited in space and have an extra z axis to throw off your alignment.

A better alternative would be the Sculpfun S9.
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Sculpfun-S9-Laser-Engraver-481992

It's a 5.5w focused LED that can cut 15mm wood at 0.08mm precision.

Normally retails around $300 though I picked it up for $260 as a gift around 6 months ago. Looks like it's on sale for $249 shipped right now from geekbuying, which is a pretty reputable importer that will ship from a US warehouse rather than drop ship. Looks like several other sites have it at a similar price right now like NewEgg (though it's through a 3rd party).

The S9 is bigger than it looks, around 16"x16" engraving area and super easy to assemble and setup (took the kid I sent it to 15-20 minutes).
Thanks, I never trusted creality, too many stories about their printers just not working right.

Clem72

Thanks, I never trusted creality, too many stories about their printers just not working right.
Their printers were the first really affordable ones that had decent features, worked with Marlin, and mostly worked correctly out of the box. The hotend might melt if you go above 260 degrees, the board will eventually overheat and die unless you improve airflow, and the table absolutely will have a warp in it, but otherwise it's a decent deal. I usually tell people not to buy it if they plan to make a lot of modifications, but if they want something to work mostly out of the box go ahead and then buy a glass plate to put on the bed to make up for the warped metal. Just run the bed 5 degrees hotter and give it a couple extra minutes to warm up.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not sure what you are implying.

The implication is that I'm trying to give you the nudge that you need to make a purchase that you clearly have considered for some time. It's like a double dog dare. Life is short. Take that vacation. Order the dessert. Buy you a laser.