$45 tire kit pays for itself

glhs837

Power with Control
Left Langhorne PA about 130pm yesterday. Traffic on 95 cost me 30 minutes, then Google decided the best route was down through Delaware and over the the Bay Bridge through Annapolis. About 6pm (I had a hot drink stop at the Biden Welcome Center and the WaWa in Annapolis) I was rolling down Rt 4 just before Cove Point Road when the back tire started feeling squirrely. About 20 minutes total unpacking the kit and getting the plug in and tire aired up and kit and bike repacked.

If you don't have a tire plug kit and compressor, I recommend one. I was rolling before the wife could have gotten to with the trailer. .
Stop N Go Kit.jpg

Last edited:

limblips

PREMO Member
But you are going to get it repaired properly right? Now way I would trust a plug especially on a bike for any long term.

Clem72

But you are going to get it repaired properly right? Now way I would trust a plug especially on a bike for any long term.
Might be a bigger concern on a motorcycle, but I have been plugging my car tires with the cheapo jelly-covered leather strips and rubber cement plugs for decades and never had one not last the rest of the tire life.

And even if it does fail, it's not likely to cause a blow-out, just a slow leak. If they were a problem we would know by now considering patches have been done that way for damn near 100 years.

limblips

PREMO Member
Might be a bigger concern on a motorcycle, but I have been plugging my car tires with the cheapo jelly-covered leather strips and rubber cement plugs for decades and never had one not last the rest of the tire life.

And even if it does fail, it's not likely to cause a blow-out, just a slow leak. If they were a problem we would know by now considering patches have been done that way for damn near 100 years.
I knew somebody would reply with the "I have always done it this way and never had any problem". Even the tire manufacturers say a plug is a suitable get home short term fix but the proper fix (not on the sidewall) is a plug/patch from the inside. Interestingly you use terms like "bigger concern", "even if it does fail" and "not likely to cause a blowout". Those are not comforting words if I am on the highway.

glhs837

Power with Control

Next purchase is a TPMS system. I'll get a proper plug and patch before my next long trip next month, but I think I'm going to keep this plug in for now and monitor. Being a mushroom head plug, I feel pretty good about. Nice thing about a heavy sport tourers stiff sidewalls. Even when flat its not catastrophic, back end just feels a bit off. This will give me confidence if my next one happens farther out.
I thought this was in Eagle Pass, TX. With extensions in San Diego, Yuma & El Paso.

Sent this to the wife wife "Stopping in here at the Biden Welcome Center for for a hot cup"

Her response, "of senility?"

Clem72

I knew somebody would reply with the "I have always done it this way and never had any problem". Even the tire manufacturers say a plug is a suitable get home short term fix but the proper fix (not on the sidewall) is a plug/patch from the inside. Interestingly you use terms like "bigger concern", "even if it does fail" and "not likely to cause a blowout". Those are not comforting words if I am on the highway.

Propaganda from the tire companies. If you read a bit more, focusing on the NHTS/NIHS articles you will find that they pretty much agree it isn't "permanent", but should last 7-10 years if done correctly. The biggest issue being the possibility for moisture to degrade the steel belting over time.