Do people not Understand the Concept of a Parking Lot?

H

Heretic

Ok I just came from Blair Video on the corner of 235 and Chancellors Run road and the parking lot was pretty empty compared to what I am use to seeing. However there were 3 cars parked right along the sidewalk with their 4 way flashers on.

Now I counted my steps to the first open parking space and it was 14 steps from the door. Why is it that so many people think they are VIP's and have the right to park where there is no parking?

red

that's a good question. one i got tired of asking myself. now, i just park at the curb, too. maybe if everybody does it, somebody will start enforcing it. my luck, i'll get the first ticket.

H

Heretic

At Christmas time I saw a cop ticketing cars at Walmart that did this....laughed my ### off.

red

if they'd do that more often, people would use the pakring spaces. the only reason so many people park curb-side is because they get away with it. you know, they could probably dedicate one cop to do this for about an hour a day at each shopping center. it's not like we have a lot of crime to keep them busy, and they'd spend less gas money just tooling around with nothing to do.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Heretic
At Christmas time I saw a cop ticketing cars at Walmart that did this....laughed my ### off.

I think they've stopped doing it now, but for a while I noticed that Wal-Mart had a LONGGGGGGGGGG row of carts on that stretch of curb where everyone used to park. That totally solved the problem. But, I guess with the holidays and MASS amounts of people shopping, the carts were needed and the solution had to be 'put on hold' for a bit. I'm sure the carts will line up again shortly!

K

Katie

Originally posted by Heretic
Ok I just came from Blair Video on the corner of 235 and Chancellors Run road and the parking lot was pretty empty compared to what I am use to seeing. However there were 3 cars parked right along the sidewalk with their 4 way flashers on.

Now I counted my steps to the first open parking space and it was 14 steps from the door. Why is it that so many people think they are VIP's and have the right to park where there is no parking?

It is just sheer laziness...that is what it comes down to. The 14 steps might kill them and they might roll over and die right in the walkway.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Do people not Understand the Concept of a Parking Lot?

Originally posted by Katie
It is just sheer laziness...that is what it comes down to. The 14 steps might kill them and they might roll over and die right in the walkway.
and make a speedbump?

J

justhangn

Re: Re: Do people not Understand the Concept of a Parking Lot?

The 14 steps might kill them and they might roll over and die right in the walkway.

Or lose a few pounds in the process.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Too many drivers use the Hickory Hills parking lot as a shortcut from 235 to Chancellor's Run Road. Someday, someone is going to get run over walking to Nicoletti's.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio
Too many drivers use the Hickory Hills parking lot as a shortcut from 235 to Chancellor's Run Road. Someday, someone is going to get run over walking to Nicoletti's.

I love the yee-haw good ol boys who decide to go 4-wheeling as they exit the Hickory Hills parking lott onto Chancellors run road.. Instead of going out the usual PAVED exit, they decide to go out the dirt "exit" several feet up from the normal exit.. Haven't quite figured out why..

K

Katie

When coming down 235 I avoid that right lane like the plage by Chancellor's Run because it is always SO backed up and I can never figure out why. Is it that hard to make a right hand turn...I mean really what is so freaking diffcult about it.

If you have noticed I am slightly b!tchy today.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
When coming down 235 I avoid that right lane like the plage by Chancellor's Run because it is always SO backed up and I can never figure out why. Is it that hard to make a right hand turn...I mean really what is so freaking diffcult about it.

I believe the plan is to make the right-hand lane a right-turn lane all the way down to Pegg Road. Route 301 in Waldorf is like this. So right now there is no true right-turn lane at the Chancellor's Run intersection. From what I've seen, the backups come from people not turning right on red (because they're not turning right) and from people turning into Sheetz from 235.

K

Katie

OH well...I guess I will just have to remember to get in the middle lane. :smile:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio
I believe the plan is to make the right-hand lane a right-turn lane all the way down to Pegg Road. Route 301 in Waldorf is like this. So right now there is no true right-turn lane at the Chancellor's Run intersection. From what I've seen, the backups come from people not turning right on red (because they're not turning right) and from people turning into Sheetz from 235.

I have mixed views about turing right into sheetz from 235.. Normally I say it is better to turn at a light if possible, but that area is a little different.. If you turn right at the light, then you take a pretty quick left into sheetz.. That is a very busy road and people don't understand the concept of intersections.. So people turning left into sheetz have to stop and wait on traffic (and cars blocking the intersection), then cars go whipping around you and at the same time people are pulling out of sheetz and out of hictory hills shopping center.. Disaster waiting to happen. And in the mean time, traffic behind you is backing up to 235, making the right lane even longer..
So, I think as an exception to the rule, people should utilize the 235 entrance to sheetz (what I REALLY don't get are the ones who want to make the right at the light, then left into sheetz, but will make a U-turn on 235 to go into the 235 entrance.)

K

Katie

That is just a mess down there. I have another word I would use but it is a bad word.

I am glad that I don't need to go near there very often. I live on Pegg Road and my office is Veridian...so I don't go down there much.

Warron

Whats sadder then people curb parking is the people who park in the middle of a highly used road to go into a store. When I was sitting at the light on the corner of Shangra La and 235 a few weeks ago, there was a car parked in the right lane around the corner on Shangra La with its four way flashers on. Then a woman came out of the bank on that corner, got into the car and it left. The saddest part was that the bank parking lot was near empty.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
No, Not necessarily . . .

:burning: I live down Chancellors Run myself, and I can't understand why our stupid, ignorant County folks won't lay down right turn arrows in that far right lane!!?? There are two others on the left, so? To my way of thinking, it would cut down on the amount of traffic in that lane.

Gotta wonder. . . .. penn