6 year old afraid of hearing about death

tygrace

My 6 year old son recently told me he didn't want to go to church anymore because it was scary to him to hear about dying and death. He also goes to Sunday school before we go into church, and he's been able to go there without any problem so far. We've been attending our church since he was a year and a half, and sitting with me for over a year, listening to the sermons.

Just curious if anyone has gone through something similar with their children, and any suggestions to help him through this.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My 6 year old son recently told me he didn't want to go to church anymore because it was scary to him to hear about dying and death. He also goes to Sunday school before we go into church, and he's been able to go there without any problem so far. We've been attending our church since he was a year and a half, and sitting with me for over a year, listening to the sermons.

Just curious if anyone has gone through something similar with their children, and any suggestions to help him through this.

I'll reserve comment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can't say as I blame him - kids don't really understand that sort of thing. At least mine didn't when they were that young. Maybe just keep him in Sunday school and don't make him attend the service until he's older. Does your church have a program where the little ones can be somewhere playing or getting some Bible stories during the service?

tygrace

Can't say as I blame him - kids don't really understand that sort of thing. At least mine didn't when they were that young. Maybe just keep him in Sunday school and don't make him attend the service until he's older. Does your church have a program where the little ones can be somewhere playing or getting some Bible stories during the service?

That's what I'm going to do for now-just have him go to Sunday School. They have the nursery for kids 5 and younger during the service (ages are broken up and all are in different rooms). They used to have a kid's service for up to 3rd grade, but they stopped doing that a few years ago.

I was just curious to see what someone might have said to help them through it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The question should be WHY is he afraid?

The innocence of a 6 year old is sending you a message, and you aren't receiving it.

If it was any place other than a church that terrified him, would you take him back?

tygrace

The question should be WHY is he afraid?

The innocence of a 6 year old is sending you a message, and you aren't receiving it.

If it was any place other than a church that terrified him, would you take him back?

I don't know why he's afraid. He's told me that hearing about death, jesus rising, is scary to him, and he doesn't want to hear it.
I agree I need to find out why, but like Vrai said, it's a little much for their age. I think maybe he's really starting to understand "what" is being said, and the true meaning.
I guess I didn't ask what I needed clearly enough. Do you have ideas about why he's afraid? I don't allow him to watch anything but G rated. I'm not sure if he's seen something with my husband (we don't share the same standards on the G rate).

I'm just wanting to know how to help my son deal with something that is scaring him.

Zguy28

Good point. Our church has a Junior Church for 4-6 year olds. They are in the congregation for the hymns in the beginning and then after the offertory they are dismissed to junior church.

How much does your pastor preach about death?

Cowgirl

That's a really good point.

:yeahthat:
He's little, death is scary. :shrug:

No kidding. My stepson is 7 and is still afraid of his dark room sometimes. Plus, kids tend to be afraid of monsters and zombies and church is talking about Jesus dying then rising from the dead. Sounds reasonable for a kid to be scared if you ask me. :shrug:

Anabaptist

I would tell you to go to a church that has a service for children, but you are not guaranteed that they will not teach that Jesus died and arose. That would be a fairly watered down church.

tygrace

Good point. Our church has a Junior Church for 4-6 year olds. They are in the congregation for the hymns in the beginning and then after the offertory they are dismissed to junior church.

How much does your pastor preach about death?

He doesn't preach much on death. Today he never mentioned it.

foodcritic

In our country we like to insulate our kids from reality. The rest of the world especially less wealthy nations have to live thru chaos much more frequently. Death is part of life. You need to explain what it is and put it in context to the extent that they can understand.

Fear of death is very natural especially for children. Use your knowledge and the bible to put death in context and the expectation of everlasting life with Christ. :howdy:

tygrace

In our country we like to insulate our kids from reality. The rest of the world especially less wealthy nations have to live thru chaos much more frequently. Death is part of life. You need to explain what it is and put it in context to the extent that they can understand.

Fear of death is very natural especially for children. Use your knowledge and the bible to put death in context and the expectation of everlasting life with Christ. :howdy:

You're right, we do want to shelter our kids from reality, which in most situations isn't a good thing.

I was just doubting my ability to help him, when in fact I should just be asking God to help and guide me.
Thanks FC.

molly_21

4/4.5 years old I think might not really understand the concept of death. I think in the 1.5 years you have been going, maybe he understands the concept of death more. Maybe the Sunday school program at 4/4.5 years old is tailored to "babying" the concept down, so maybe he did not get it 4/5 years old. That age kids have a huge imagination, so he could have been thinking about other stuff during the sermons or just not really paying attention since it is hard stuff to grasp when you are 4/5 years old listening to a sermon with words you probably do not understand, therefore maybe tune out.
Just a thought.