9/11 - Where were you?

CPUSA

I had turned on the News and caught a breaking story about a private plane had accidentally plowed into the WTC tower.
I called my mom to see if she had seen the News.
Just as she turned on her TV & we were discussing it, the second plane hit.
We both said America is under attack...

Grumpy

I was at work at L'enfant Plaza, wife was working up on K street NW. Son called and said a UPS or Fedex jet had hit one of the twin towers. I logged onto freerepublic.com to see if anyone there had any info. In the first thread I started reading, at about the 15th post, a guy said is was terror and Osama Bin Laden was involved, about 5 minutes later the 2nd plane hit, I had no radio or TV so all I could follow was FR and people were updating from they were seeing on TV. When I read the Pentagon was hit, I walked out the front of the building and went a block away to an overlook looking out over the old fish market and river to the Pentagon, saw smoke billowing. On the street it was chaos, heard a big explosion, people were hitting the ground as it sounded so close. Found out later that it was a propane tank over at the Pentagon. Tried landlines and cell to get in touch with my wife, after about an hour was finally able to. Our car was with me, parked in the garage under L'enfant, She said the streets were total gridlock and she would walk to meet me..probably a good 20-30 blocks. When she arrived, we left, the parking garage toll? gate had been plowed through by someone that wanted outta there. Took us 3.5 hours to get home, most of that time was inching along in DC.

JFK I was in 6th grade, knew something bad had happened when the principal came in crying and whispered something in my teachers ear and she turned white as a sheet. Our room was the only classroom with a TV, soon the whole school was packed in our room watching Walter Cronkite. for 15/20 minutes before school was out. Seemed like there were no shows on TV, just news constantly repeating the same facts for a week..and then Oswald getting shot. Surreal...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Kennedy: I was one day old and in a hospital nursery.
We were watching the motorcade during my brother's 4th birthday party. I was 6 1/2, had been going hunting as a "retriever" with my dad and uncles. I knew why the adults were shocked and crying.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The day before 9/11 I caught a hop to Aviano air base in Italy. I was tired when I got there, so I got a room to adjust to the jet lag. There is a 6 hour time difference. I got a rental car then headed west on the A2 freeway. I had at least a 6 hour drive ahead of me.

Italy has some national radio stations. I tuned in to a station that I had been listening to for a long time. Twice an hour, at the top and the bottom, they have a short news report. Mid afternoon tooling down the road listening to music. Then the news reports that a plane has hit the torre gemelli. There was very little other info than that. Some more music. The next news report said a 2nd plane has hit the towers. I'm translating what is said on the radio in my head. I understood what was said, but I had a moment where I must have misunderstood and translated incorrectly. Because even though it sounded like they said a 2nd plane, that had to be incorrect.

After than announcement, they didn't play any more music. There were 3 people on the radio giving a blow by blow what was happening. Then they announced the pentagon was hit. When ever the announcers paused to catch their breath, I could here the radio station's television in the background. It was tuned in to CNN. And they were speaking English. But the paused were too short for me to hear very good.

They also reported that a dozen planes were unaccounted for or acting strange. They speculated that other places were also being targeted. Who knew what was really going on? I stopped at an autogrill on the highway. I went in to call my mother since she lived 15 miles from Manhattan as the crow flies. The international operator told me no calls were getting through that area. When I got off the phone I remember looking around the busy rest stop. I recall thinking that a lot of the truck drivers at that stop looked muslim to me. I'm sure some were Greek or Albanian but my mind was in a strange place.

The rest of the drive was more of the same news reporting. Reports of fighter jets trying to make contact with rouge aircraft. Then the notice of all aircraft being grounded. They speculated on where the president was at the time.

When I got to my final destination, it was pretty much over. Both towers had long collapsed. I watched tape replays for the next 3 hours.

I bought a newspaper the next day. The sub headline said 30,000 feared dead. I still have that newspaper.

PeoplesElbow

I was on travel, a fairly new government employee at Camp Pendleton. I go in that morning, not knowing anything was going on and had a M-4 stuck in my face.

Went back to motel and found a dialup number for EarthLink and turned on CNN. Ended up having two weeks of vacation in SoCal instead of flight testing.

Odd thing I flew out of DCA on Sept 9th and had a dream the night before of being held hostage at the airport by a middle eastern type person.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was at work, had the TV on and saw the second A/C hit the building.
The door to our office opens and there is the new hire.
A college graduate (Engineer) straight out of school, a muslim.
Me and my co-workers looked at each other just shaking our heads.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I was outside. After awhile though, I was thinking, well, there go all our freedoms. Sure enough comes the un-patriotic Patriot Act. Then the DHS, then the groping and copping a feel,(Biden approved), never-to-go-away-and-worthless TSA. We lost more freedoms in the 20 years since, using that event and Afghanistan as a guise, in one fell swoop that we could ever have imagined prior.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

I was outside. After awhile though, I was thinking, well, there go all our freedoms. Sure enough comes the un-patriotic Patriot Act. Then the DHS, then the groping and copping a feel,(Biden approved), never-to-go-away-and-worthless TSA. We lost more freedoms in the 20 years since, using that event and Afghanistan as a guise, in one fell swoop that we could ever have imagined prior.
True..solidly true,

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Just throwing this out there. After watching this, Building 7 of the World Trade Center, what is your logical conclusion?

Did a small fire somewhere in the building cause the collapse, or something else? What do your eyes tell you?

Comments are turned off in the video to assist one to critically think without the distraction.

Bare-ya-cuda

USS Enterprise. We just finished transiting the straits of Hormuz.

I remember Being up on the flight deck in the middle of the night, pitch black outside when first strikes began, watching all the missiles being launched from subs and ships around us. It was a feeling I can’t describe to anyone. You had to be there. Next morning it was game in for us.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Just throwing this out there. After watching this, Building 7 of the World Trade Center, what is your logical conclusion?

Did a small fire somewhere in the building cause the collapse, or something else? What do your eyes tell you?

Comments are turned off in the video to assist one to critically think without the distraction.

Knowing a big section of battery park was manmade by dumping stuff in the river and the shock from two much larger structures falling that the man made bed for the building was not stable and that more of battery park was going to come down.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I was living in so Cal and working in the heavy equipment dep't at Edwards AF base. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed and called in "sick of work" that morning. Was sitting in the bedroom watching the news when the attacks started. My mind couldn't really comprehend what was going on though I knew it was happening. Shortly after, my boss called and told me to continue to take the day off but that I needed to come in for the night shift. We moved a lot of jersey rails to the entrances and exits/guard gates. I worked nights for awhile because we had to be there "in case something happens".
Though I remember details of certain important days in my life, I think 9/11 stands out the most.

Tech

Knowing a big section of battery park was manmade by dumping stuff in the river and the shock from two much larger structures falling that the man made bed for the building was not stable and that more of battery park was going to come down.
My opinion, the collapsing towers spread out when they hit bottom. Crashed thru the lowers floor of 7 damaging its support, give it some fire that came with the debris, let it cook to soften any remaining support. Bingo, gravity wins.

FettZilla

Was getting ready to go to work and my mom called to turn on the TV. That'll be a Tuesday we'll never forget. I was so upset when I got to work.

black dog

Free America
My opinion, the collapsing towers spread out when they hit bottom. Crashed thru the lowers floor of 7 damaging its support, give it some fire that came with the debris, let it cook to soften any remaining support. Bingo, gravity wins.
I agree, many years ago I installed traction elevators before i went to hydraulics. We would install our rails a floor or so behind the ironworkers stacking main building steel
Many buildings I worked on when the steel floor bar joists were set very few were bolted or welded to the main building steel. The steel concrete decking was welded and held everything in place.
But like a balloon frame house its all good until it has failures in the floor joists, it holds the square box square. With failure the floors just keep clasping onto themselfs.
Gross tonnage always wins.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
One of my 1st cousins worked at Cantor Fitzgerald in One World Trade Center.
Last week of August she had a premonition that she needed to be home in Massachusetts.

These many years later she has a successful second career as a resort manager on Martha's Vineyard.

A friend of mine serviced the vending machines in Two World Trade Center. He had swapped days off with a co-worker to take his daughter to the pediatrician.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I agree, many years ago I installed traction elevators before i went to hydraulics. We would install our rails a floor or so behind the ironworkers stacking main building steel
Many buildings I worked on when the steel floor bar joists were set very few were bolted or welded to the main building steel. The steel concrete decking was welded and held everything in place.
But like a balloon frame house its all good until it has failures in the floor joists, it holds the square box square. With failure the floors just keep clasping onto themselfs. Gross tonnage always wins.
How anyone can not see this as a controlled demolition of a building straight down into its own footprint, is beyond me. Must be part and parcel of why it is so easy to convince people that a deadly virus exists that has a survivability rating of over 98% and that they need a "vaccine" that will not prevent them from getting sick or stop the spread of said virus.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I was at my desk listening to hi/low jackpot. I was certain I was gonna win that MF when they broke the news that a small plane hit the WTC. When I heard that a 2nd plane hit, I got up from my desk and walked into our front lobby area where a TV was on. Everyone was standing around the TV and I asked "is that the 2nd plane." Nobody responded to me... tears on grown men's faces, I knew.

I took classes in the evening and when I returned to classes, I found out much of my class worked at the Pentagon. Our class changed after that - teacher had a miscarriage and students/assistances clearly had PTSD - many of them dropped after that.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

How anyone can not see this as a controlled demolition of a building straight down into its own footprint, is beyond me. Must be part and parcel of why it is so easy to convince people that a deadly virus exists that has a survivability rating of over 98% and that they need a "vaccine" that will not prevent them from getting sick or stop the spread of said virus.

I certainly don't see it that way. I was just interjecting the way loads of steel/ concrete buildings have been built. A building that has its bar/floor joists bolted and or welded to the main building steel will stay in place while collapsing. If not secure once it bends it will just fall to the next floor.
And the buildings main steel box has almost nothing to keep ot square.
Thas what I see with these buildings on 911.
Like take a cardboard box and cut out the top and bottom and put violent loads on the top and sides.