9-Year-Old Has Twins Aborted

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/world/americas/05briefs-9YEAROLDSABO_BRF.html?ref=world

"A 9-year-old girl who was carrying twins, and whose stepfather is suspected of raping her, underwent an abortion on Wednesday despite complaints from Brazil’s Roman Catholic Church. The stepfather has been jailed since last week, the police said. Abortion is illegal in Brazil, the country with the most Roman Catholics, but judges can make exceptions if the mother’s life is in danger or the fetus has no chance of survival. Fatima Maia, director of the public university hospital where the abortion was performed, said the pregnancy, which was in its 15th week, posed a serious risk to the girl, who weighs 80 pounds. But Marcio Miranda, a lawyer for the Archdiocese of Olinda and Recife in northeastern Brazil, said the girl should have carried the twins to term and had a Caesarean section. “It’s the law of God: Do not kill,” he said in comments reported by the newspaper O Globo."

The doctor's have been excommunicated.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
In this particular case, she was nine, and her life was in danger. The Church should have offered moral support rather than public complaint. While I respect and agree with the Vatican's commitment to life for the unborn, in this case the mother's life was at risk...They need to recognize that. (That's the part that confuses me. The church does allow for abortion to save the life and health of the mother as a matter of doctrine. Such procedures are done in church owned hospitals...) The rapist stepfather had more of a hand in this than anyone else. He should be the first one to be excommunicated if they're going that route.

In such extreme youth the health consequences of carrying a dual pregnancy to term--assuming it didn't rupture her uterus and kill her--include but aren't limited to: sterility, irreparable pelvic damage, spinal damage (since her spine is still very much developing) that could cause paralysis, crippling leg issues, oxygen deficiency that can bring on brain damage through impaired neural connections. The amount of bleeding that could happen if she was allowed to miscarriage rather than abort could easily cause death.

I'm very against abortion, but in this case I totally agree it was the right thing.

When age isn't an issue medically, the sexual abuse isn't the fault of the unborn children, and aborting them won't heal that. Finding adoptive parents for children born of rape or incest is a better solution. But in this case it was a life of the mother issue.

Oh, and the stepfather--They need to find a hole for him and let him rot in it.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I have reread the short blub the Cut-and-Past Queen posted and find no report that:

(1) the little girl's life was in danger. At 15 weeks of pregnancy and weighing 80 pounds, it looked like she might have trouble later but it had not been shown she was in danger at the tme.

(2) the doctors who performed the abortion were excommunicated. That was a gratuitous comment by the Cut-and-Past Queen himself.

(3) the stepfather was the father of the babies. He is suspected but nothing more was stated in the NYT blurb. There may be more in the print version of the article but it's not in this thread.

So, it appears many people jumped to unsupported conclusions based on the baseless NYT online blurb, the Cut-and-Past Queen's posting and person assumptions by posters to this thread.

ImnoMensa

I stand four square against abortion, but in this case I would agree to abortion.

The child is 9 years old that alone is enough for me. She isnt ready for carrying children in her tiny womb . Sometimes common sense must prevail.