90mm - Great to be American

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Firing inert projectiles; cheaply machined...so other than the reloading cost of the primers and lotsa gun powder, shouldn't be too costly.

Apex has a bunch of artillery pieces for on sale right now...but a bit rich for my blood and I don't have anywhere to shoot one anyway.

Firing inert projectiles; cheaply machined...so other than the reloading cost of the primers and lotsa gun powder, shouldn't be too costly.

Apex has a bunch of artillery pieces for on sale right now...but a bit rich for my blood and I don't have anywhere to shoot one anyway.

Apex?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't see any 90mm Guns

They might not have that exact caliber...but they've got a mess of field artillery pieces for sale.

It's the 23mm twin-barrel aircraft cannons they have on sale that I'm jonesing for right now.

glhs837

Power with Control

Dahlgren? Of course, they have a railgun, so that might be biting off more than you could chew.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dahlgren? Of course, they have a railgun, so that might be biting off more than you could chew.....

LOL. I can see it now..pulling up to the base gate with my artillery piece in trail behind my Bronco. "Hiya fellers!...just wanted to get a little range time, iffen ya don't mind. It's free ain't it?"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
They might not have that exact caliber...but they've got a mess of field artillery pieces for sale.

It's the 23mm twin-barrel aircraft cannons they have on sale that I'm jonesing for right now.

Right ..... FPS Russia on a 40mm Bofors

Auto Cannon comes to mind, not Machine Gun

glhs837

Power with Control
LOL. I can see it now..pulling up to the base gate with my artillery piece in trail behind my Bronco. "Hiya fellers!...just wanted to get a little range time, iffen ya don't mind. It's free ain't it?"

And if they give you any guff, I recommend a loud protest about how your taxes paid for this place. that should go over well. Boys back at the Militia will be pissed if you don't get this thing sighted in....

itsbob

I bowl overhand
90mm is aright.. I guess.

The string is how we used to boresight the M60 and was probably how they boresight the 90mm as well. Twin strings at the end of the barrel and using Binoculars in the breech.

90mm was more a direct fire (anti tank) gun then a Field Artillery (indirect fire) piece.. they are missing the sights.

Later on in life we were issued borescopes, but even the M1 still had the dots on the end of the barrel for string boresighting..

Things have come a long way. 120mm smooth bore gun all that come out of the breech is the bottom plate and the primer rod.

https://youtu.be/67Z7fnNwIgw

Think this shows what comes out

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
90mm is aright.. I guess.

come one Bob its a Towed AT Gun, not a Tank .... just because you got to Crew M60's and M1's
... I suppose if it were mounted on a Hell Cat it would be better

nice most of the shell is consumed ...

a TOW would be awesome .... 3km 17 seconds

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Somehow or other...variants of that have ended up all over Syria. Go on youtube and you'll find countless videos of the various rebel groups blowing chit up with TOW missiles.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
come one Bob its a Towed AT Gun, not a Tank .... just because you got to Crew M60's and M1's
... I suppose if it were mounted on a Hell Cat it would be better

nice most of the shell is consumed ...

Fired a few of those as well.. 17 seconds is a LOOOOOOONG time to have to sit still and watch the missile fly to it's target.. all the while the target may have the ability to fire back with something a little faster. Being wire guided you have no choice but to sit and watch.. and wait.. all the while the HUGE smoke signature of launching a missile surrounds you.

It's also a lot of fun (peace time chore) to have to pick up that 3500 meters of copper wire when you're done.

I fired a couple of TOW gen 1.. they had a tendency to take a hard left turn about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to the target.. made for an exciting time on neighboring ranges. There is no "self destruct" button on TOW missiles.

Dragons were just as nasty, but they sounded cool going down range.. kind of burped their way to the target.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Somehow or other...variants of that have ended up all over Syria. Go on youtube and you'll find countless videos of the various rebel groups blowing chit up with TOW missiles.

LOT of Foreign Military Sales for TOWs.. It's been around a VERY long time.

Russia had come up with a way to defeat the older variants.. not sure of the newer ones.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Fired a few of those as well.. 17 seconds is a LOOOOOOONG time to have to sit still and watch the missile fly to it's target..

Indeed I was an 11 H 84 - 88 M901 ITV @ Carson 85-87 / TOW Hummers 87-88 Korea
when I got to Carson in 85 1/12 inf still had Vietnam Era Analog TOWS, were upgraded to the 'digital' units in 86.
not having to swap Nitrogen Cooling Bottles was nice, but the noisy compressor was nerve wracking on a hillside in an Ambush Position at Ft. Irwin @ 3am

yep we had a couple of inert rounds fly off into never never land .....

Interesting, we never had to police up the thin wire ....