A bit of good news amongst all the doom and gloom..

Wishbone

On the other hand - I'm hard pressed to think of even one river near a major Democratic city that isn't mostly lifeless.
Schuykill in Philly, Charles in Boston, East River in NYC, Chicago River in Chicago which is so lifeless it's pretty much JUST a sewer.

What gets me about some of these is, the water has been seriously polluted for a VERY - LONG - TIME.
Apparently, according to Wikipedia, there's a fund for cleaning the Schuykill that was set up - by BENJAMIN FRANKLIN!
And it's been on fire in the past.

From what I get about the Bay - the major contributor to pollution is Pennsylvania. Since it's not part of their livelihood,
there's no compelling reason for them to pony up. Cleaning up the Chesapeake is in the interests of industry, so it gets done.

From what I get about the Patuxent - overfishing and such has hurt it. It once was a major source of oyster fishing on the east coast.
Not so much anymore - and the oysters were keeping it clean. Ditto the crabs. Why are people cleaning it? Because it helps them.

From what I can SEE - it is improving. Crab and oyster populations are increasing and the rockfish are back.

I've lived in this area my entire life, from just over the district line in Hyattsville to southern Maryland.

If the federal government, aka EPA, was so ####ing awesome at cleaning up or protecting the waterways the Anacostia and Potomac would be immaculate.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
With no way to meter sewer usage every home paided a month flat fee for sewer.

That's how it is here in Piney Point.

I remember standing on the shoreline on a calm morning maybe 25 years ago, after a night of heavy rain, watching the sun rise and listening to the comforting "hummm" of numerous Briggs and Stratton powered pumps that were emptying my neighbor's overflowing septic fields in to the creek. I was "lucky" and did not have to pump mine...my overflow simply collected in a low-lying area in what is now yard and stunk the place up for a few days. :yay:

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
The part that pissed folks off was the entire community gets torn up to install sanitary and the county says there's not enough water available on the peninsula for our homes. So that is what we got, University of MD was telling AACo not to do sewer without also doing city water because by taking that much water everyday off the peninsula the natural flow of water back through the ground would be changed and we would shortly reverse the flow and some homes would start pulling brackish water into there first aquifer wells... I sold a few years later but I do know that a few homes had that problem before I left.. oh and about 2 years after we got sewer condos, townhomes and single family homes exploded on college parkway.. not enough water.. lol
That was a great little house,, 20' pier with 9' at low...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That's funny, guess you never saw the filthy upper Potomac River say around Carterock in the 70's back when the Park Service Cops took you to get a tetnus shot when you were caught swimming there.

In hte 1970's I lived within walking distance of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, and was constantly down at the the river where National Harbor now stands ....

Mom was constantly lecturing me to stay our of the filthy river ...

Sapidus

That's funny, guess you never saw the filthy upper Potomac River say around Carterock in the 70's back when the Park Service Cops took you to get a tetnus shot when you were caught swimming there.

Do you not realize you are proving my point?

Chris0nllyn

Says the idiot who brags about enjoying his water view.

Hope you like watching all of trash , raw sewage and and additional chemicals and floating by. Glad that will all be finally less regulated The 70's and 80's were a great time for water quality.

What a short sighted moron you are.

The common misconception is that the EPA does that.

In reality, MDE (a state agency) manages things like wastewater, stormwater, and drinking water. They simply load surface and groundwater discharge data into EPA's ICIS system. They also dictate/manage the other things you've mentioned such as industrial wastewater treatment, tidal and nontidal waterways and wetlands, erosion control, etc. They have all the power to enforce state regulations and levy fines if need-be.

One thing the EPA does do is give or facilitate funding to states, towns, municipalities, etc. to update their water and wastewater assets. They tend to offer low-interest loans for that work as well as to not burden a small town with a multi-million dollar upgrade project they likely don't have the money on hand for.

SamSpade

How...exactly?

Kind of when I give some folks a task and - there's little change after forty some years, I don't think anyone should cry if I fire some of them.

Having FAILED that, they continue to find problems to solve by increasing regs that don't actually improve matters.

black dog

Free America
Do you not realize you are proving my point?

Do you realize that now is safe to swim in the Potomac? Lots of good fishing there, one or two fishing tournaments also.. quite a few races use the Potomac River for the swimming part of Triathlons and other swimming events.
I do believe that you dont actually live or lived around DC at all, or your a mini millennial and just don't know $hit.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I do believe that you dont actually live or lived around DC at all, or your a mini millennial and just don't know $hit.

nope sappy thinks because of a few 100 staffing cut backs the Potomac will suddenly return to the filth 1970s

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sappy and his ilk will always believe that more government is better government, more regulation is always better, less freedom is good for everyone...

SamSpade

Sappy and his ilk will always believe that more government is better government, more regulation is always better, less freedom is good for everyone...

Not quite what my more liberal friends and relatives think - just that if you curtail or end a government program - all hell will break loose.
You know, end Affirmative Action and slavery will be back (despite what the Constitution says). Stop funding to Planned Parenthood and all abortions will be done in back alleys with coat hangers. And if you don't comply with anything related to Climate Change, the world will end before the end of this century.

THAT kind of stuff. It's not that they believe it's always better, they just think what we HAVE is the only thing standing between the status quo and the end of the world.

EVEN if it's obvious that the government program doesn't do a damned thing at all. It must be sustained.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not quite what my more liberal friends and relatives think - just that if you curtail or end a government program - all hell will break loose.
You know, end Affirmative Action and slavery will be back (despite what the Constitution says). Stop funding to Planned Parenthood and all abortions will be done in back alleys with coat hangers. And if you don't comply with anything related to Climate Change, the world will end before the end of this century.

THAT kind of stuff. It's not that they believe it's always better, they just think what we HAVE is the only thing standing between the status quo and the end of the world.

EVEN if it's obvious that the government program doesn't do a damned thing at all. It must be sustained.

As I noted earlier...empty-headed liberals like Sappy resort so often to this logical fallacy..the false dilemma:

Description: When only two choices are presented yet more exist, or a spectrum of possible choices exists between two extremes. False dilemmas are usually characterized by “either this or that” language, but can also be characterized by omissions of choices. Another variety is the false trilemma, which is when three choices are presented when more exist.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/94/False-Dilemma