A dead baby

DawnK

Mostly known as a BIOTCH
bird is among 5 other unhatched eggs in a nest in my hanging plant out on my porch.

I know because I take down the plant and water it everyday and check on the eggs (momma flys away when I open the door but comes back when I'm gone) to see if they have hatched.

Well I see today that one did, but it didnt look like it was alive. No breathing and completely still. Should I leave it? or can I pluck it out and bury it? I feel bad that theres a dead baby in there among those other eggs.

comments please...

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
bird is among 5 other unhatched eggs in a nest in my hanging plant out on my porch.

I know because I take down the plant and water it everyday and check on the eggs (momma flys away when I open the door but comes back when I'm gone) to see if they have hatched.

Well I see today that one did, but it didnt look like it was alive. No breathing and completely still. Should I leave it? or can I pluck it out and bury it? I feel bad that theres a dead baby in there among those other eggs.

comments please...

If it's dead, momma will take care of it. Leave it alone.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR

comments please...
the momma will take care of it

SoMDGirl42

comments please...

I have a momma and nest in one of my hanging plants too! I checked it over the weekend when I watered the plant. I thought all the babies were dead. I put the plant back up and later I saw momma in the nest. I figured she would pluck them out. When she flew away I saw two little heads peeking about the edge of the nest. Guess they were just sleeping when I saw them before and they were too little to tell they were breathing. She was feeding them last night and I could hear the momma chirping to them.

DawnK

Mostly known as a BIOTCH
no I take it down and water it so I can see if anything has hatched. Its really cool looking at newborn baby birds - their eyes are closed and they always have their beaks up looking for food. And they are sooo tiny!!

DawnK

Mostly known as a BIOTCH
cool when then I won't do anything, but what I've been doing.. Checking on them and watering it (with looking)

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus

comments please...

LEAVE IT!!

SoMDGirl42

I have a momma and nest in one of my hanging plants too! I checked it over the weekend when I watered the plant. I thought all the babies were dead. I put the plant back up and later I saw momma in the nest. I figured she would pluck them out. When she flew away I saw two little heads peeking about the edge of the nest. Guess they were just sleeping when I saw them before and they were too little to tell they were breathing. She was feeding them last night and I could hear the momma chirping to them.

Her tail sticking up while she's feeding.

Attachments

• 100_1804.jpg
    100_1804.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 156

ShoeQueen77

I thought the same thing about one of the baby birds in my nest last week. I waited a day and sure enough they were just playing dead. I could have SWORN they had kicked it. The next day they were just fine.

I

Inkpen

cool when then I won't do anything, but what I've been doing.. Checking on them and watering it (with looking)

Why water the plant?
You cool the soil and lower the temp of the eggs..in effect..you are killing the eggs...and the hatchlings....
Why do you think the momma bird sits on them?
She is incubating them and keeping them WARM!

You water the plant, you take away that heat and chill the egss and they die.

Just like taking them and putting them in your fridge!

Leave plant and nest alone..but it sounds like you killed them all ready.

SoMDGirl42

Why water the plant?
You cool the soil and lower the temp of the eggs..in effect..you are killing the eggs...and the hatchlings....
Why do you think the momma bird sits on them?
She is incubating them and keeping them WARM!

You water the plant, you take away that heat and chill the egss and they die.

Just like taking them and putting them in your fridge!

Leave plant and nest alone..but it sounds like you killed them all ready.

I'll stop watering my plant if you buy me a new one when this one :dead:
The bird picked my plant to nest in, I didn't invite it.

I

Inkpen

I'll stop watering my plant if you buy me a new one when this one :dead:
The bird picked my plant to nest in, I didn't invite it.

Yes you did invite it.
You provided an artifical habitat for the bird..so it nested there...as it does not know the difference between a native nesting site and one you bought and hung out on your porch because you want a pretty plant to look at.

Next time, dont hang a plant you dont want a wren to nest in.
Simple as that! :howdy:

Yes you did invite it.
You provided an artifical habitat for the bird..so it nested there...as it does not know the difference between a native nesting site and one you bought and hung out on your porch because you want a pretty plant to look at.

Could you water with warm water?? :shrug:

Cowgirl

Yes you did invite it.

Great, so the plant would die, and the little babies would get fried in the sun.