A failing third party ...

SamSpade

I think a majority of Americans align with the Libertarian party. A majority are middle of the road.

You may be right - but far too many of the Libertarian Party's standard bearers embrace at least ONE position that is a complete non-starter for me.
At least one position that is far enough from what I believe as to never grant them a position of authority.

I've had enough experience with Democrats and Republicans to know that when one member says something outrageous, there is a big enough party apparatus who,
in the interest of the survival of the party - will shut them the hell up. It makes for amusing theater, but the party as a whole isn't going to do anything
profoundly stupid - at least until recently, when the Democratic Party (believe it or not, the party I am registered with) goes all in for the anti-Trump no matter what
the consequences thing.

Chris0nllyn

You may be right - but far too many of the Libertarian Party's standard bearers embrace at least ONE position that is a complete non-starter for me.
At least one position that is far enough from what I believe as to never grant them a position of authority.

I've had enough experience with Democrats and Republicans to know that when one member says something outrageous, there is a big enough party apparatus who,
in the interest of the survival of the party - will shut them the hell up. It makes for amusing theater, but the party as a whole isn't going to do anything
profoundly stupid - at least until recently, when the Democratic Party (believe it or not, the party I am registered with) goes all in for the anti-Trump no matter what
the consequences thing.

Certainly true (look at Vohra. Many in the LP likely don't agree with him), but that's assuming putting them in a place of authority means, 1). immediate actions, 2). no system of checks and balances.

Hijinx

All I have to go by in judging libertarians is Chris.

And frankly, I am not impressed.

To be honest Chris appears to be a pissed off Democrat , pissed off because the average democrat is not left enough.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, you know everyone running as Republican or Democrat the next election?

No but they will make sure I know their name by election day, or they won't get elected.

Doing research on a candidate - of course. But you cannot research someone if you don't even know they exist.

If they are that lazy during their "campaign", how can anyone expect them to work if they get the job?

Chris0nllyn

All I have to go by in judging libertarians is Chris.

And frankly, I am not impressed.

To be honest Chris appears to be a pissed off Democrat , pissed off because the average democrat is not left enough.

To be honest, you wouldn't know what a political party stood for if it hit you in the face.

Put up an example of what you're talking about. Put up an example of where I am pissed off because the Dems aren't "eft enough" for me, and not an example of me disagreeing with your or other Republicans and using the "You're a Democrat" zinger.

Do I agree with some platforms of the Democratic party? Yes. Do I agree on how they should be implemented? No. Do I agree with some platforms of the GOP? Yes. Do I agree on how they should be implemented? No.

No but they will make sure I know their name by election day, or they won't get elected.

Doing research on a candidate - of course. But you cannot research someone if you don't even know they exist.

If they are that lazy during their "campaign", how can anyone expect them to work if they get the job?

That's all ignoring the fact that any party outside of the GOP and Dems has to fight to even get on the ballot.

If a party takes a majority of their time trying to get on ethe ballot, conventional wisdom dictates that is less time to get their name out. That's hardly being "lazy". Being lazy is expecting politicians to come to you, or expecting the media to tell you who to vote for.

As in Gary Johnson during the 2016 campaign.."What would you do about Aleppo??" Johnson "What is Aleppo?"

Johnson, like all politicians, made a flub there. No denying that. I guess the upside is that was his only one vs. the ongoing moronic statements coming out of Washington right now.

Luckily for us, the Presidential election isn't the only one we can vote in.

One thing that can be said. The Democrats AND Republicans put us where we are right now. No Libertarian brought continual wars/conflicts in the Middle East. No Libertarian continually spends more money than the country makes. So, as much as everyone is willing to criticize another party, perhaps you all should be looking at who you've voted for over the years and ask if they were good choices. Of course, you'll still have people like Hijinx that'll go to his grave blaming Obama and the Democrats for everything wrong in the world and you'll have folks like Sapidus blaming the GOP for everythign wrong in the world, but for those of us who care about the future of this country, outside of tribal politics, can see that our current trajectory isn't sustainable and continually electing people into office who got us into that position liekly isn't the brightest idea.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No Libertarian brought continual wars/conflicts in the Middle East. No Libertarian continually spends more money than the country makes..

...because they've never had the opportunity or the power to do so? Except for that, you mean? :razz:

Hijinx

To be honest, you wouldn't know what a political party stood for if it hit you in the face.

Put up an example of what you're talking about. Put up an example of where I am pissed off because the Dems aren't "eft enough" for me, and not an example of me disagreeing with your or other Republicans and using the "You're a Democrat" zinger.

Do I agree with some platforms of the Democratic party? Yes. Do I agree on how they should be implemented? No. Do I agree with some platforms of the GOP? Yes. Do I agree on how they should be implemented? No.

That's all ignoring the fact that any party outside of the GOP and Dems has to fight to even get on the ballot.

If a party takes a majority of their time trying to get on ethe ballot, conventional wisdom dictates that is less time to get their name out. That's hardly being "lazy". Being lazy is expecting politicians to come to you, or expecting the media to tell you who to vote for.

Johnson, like all politicians, made a flub there. No denying that. I guess the upside is that was his only one vs. the ongoing moronic statements coming out of Washington right now.

Luckily for us, the Presidential election isn't the only one we can vote in.

One thing that can be said. The Democrats AND Republicans put us where we are right now. No Libertarian brought continual wars/conflicts in the Middle East. No Libertarian continually spends more money than the country makes. So, as much as everyone is willing to criticize another party, perhaps you all should be looking at who you've voted for over the years and ask if they were good choices. Of course, you'll still have people like Hijinx that'll go to his grave blaming Obama and the Democrats for everything wrong in the world and you'll have folks like Sapidus blaming the GOP for everythign wrong in the world, but for those of us who care about the future of this country, outside of tribal politics, can see that our current trajectory isn't sustainable and continually electing people into office who got us into that position liekly isn't the brightest idea.

I don't have to put up anything. Everyone here reads your posts.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

But they do not have to fight to reach the People and introduce themselves. I already told you that I personally extended an invitation that would have cost them precisely nothing.

If a party takes a majority of their time trying to get on ethe ballot, conventional wisdom dictates that is less time to get their name out.

You have this process exactly backwards. Get your name out, build a following, and they will help you get your name on the ballot. Nobody votes for someone they've never heard of before.

But I don't really care. You can't understand why the Libertarian Party isn't getting any play; several of us have told you why and in fact have told you before; and you just want to make excuses (which are for lazy people, so maybe you are a Libertarian after all).

Chris0nllyn

But they do not have to fight to reach the People and introduce themselves. I already told you that I personally extended an invitation that would have cost them precisely nothing.

You have this process exactly backwards. Get your name out, build a following, and they will help you get your name on the ballot. Nobody votes for someone they've never heard of before.

But I don't really care. You can't understand why the Libertarian Party isn't getting any play; several of us have told you why and in fact have told you before; and you just want to make excuses (which are for lazy people, so maybe you are a Libertarian after all).

Why should they fight to reach people who won't vote for them? Why they didn't accept your invitation, when it was, I don't know, but the last MD Gubernatorial LP candidate, Shawn Quinn, met with multiple outlets. Did you hear about him after his interviews with those other outlets? If not, whose fault is that?

That's not how ballot access works in MD. People vote for the incombent all that time, I'll give you that (see: Hoyer), but people also vote for those they've never heard of before. How many of you vote for school board or local elections and don't know them/never heard of them?

Let's atleast be honest withourselves, if the Libertarian Party "got any play", you wouldn't vote for them anyway. I made a thread about Quinn and the excuses were that he didn't have experience in politics, then a few short years later reveling in Trump's glory, electing him as President, and gloating about him not having political experience. You can't have your cake and eat it to. You Democrats and Republicans need to decide if the way this country is going, especially related to politics, is what you want.

I'm not going to try and change the mind of someone who believes more govt. spending and more debt is a good thing. I'm not going to try and liken the LP to someone who believes in more govt. power. In a forum full of people who believes those things, and having voted for those things for years (and for of you, decades), why on earth should I expect you to suddenly change your mind? If the reason you don't know anything about a certain person is the fault of a particular party, it's not the party's fault. Then again, some of you still believe the GOP is the party of small govt., but here we are...complaining about a party that got 1.4% of the vote in MD last gubernatorial election and 3.27% of the national votes in the 2016 Presidential election.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

I don't for for "a Party". I vote for a person.

Perhaps this is where you're confused.

Okay, let me re-phrase.

Let's atleast be honest with ourselves, if a candidate of Libertarian Party "got any play", you wouldn't vote for that candidate anyway.

Chris0nllyn

Update:
The petition requirement for Maryland’s Green and Libertarian parties to gain ballot access for the November general election has been slashed in half.

The parties will have until Aug. 3 to turn in 5,000 valid signatures from registered voters, down from the statutory requirement of 10,000.
https://www.marylandmatters.org/blo...nt-for-green-libertarian-parties-cut-in-half/

Libertarian candidate Jo Jorgensen presented more than 7,000 signatures to the State Board of Elections Monday, which she hopes will more than fulfill Maryland’s requirement to appear on the state ballot for president.

“I’m running for president because government is too big, too bossy, too nosy, too intrusive, and the worst part is it tends to hurt the very people that they try to help,” Jorgensen, a senior lecturer in psychology at Clemson University, said as she delivered her papers.
According to Joe Bishop-Henchman, chair of the Libertarian National Committee, Jorgensen has qualified to appear on the ballot in 42 of 50 states.

Bishop-Henchman said the party is still working toward meeting requirements in the other eight states.
https://www.marylandmatters.org/202...date-delivers-signatures-for-maryland-ballot/