A question about emergency services in St.Mary's

smcop

I don't believe we have "paid" ems. We have dedicated ems and volunteer fire fighters, but I for one wouldn't mind a bump in my taxes to have a full time, 24/7 paid ems.

smcop

All first responders in Maryland receive basic triage care training. Any paramedic who arrives has to have extensive training in order to be a paramedic.

Are these people on duty or off duty. Remember, people live at the fire house, so they may be off duty if they are drinking. I have been on the scene of hundreds if not thousands of accidents/calls for service involving rescue squad people. I have never detected alcohol coming from any of them.

J

jp2854

when i lived in calvert I lived right infront of the solomons firehouse and there were a few times I called them and it took them over 30min and by the time they showed up stleonard was on the scene and they always argued over who was going to take care of me or my family and now that I live in stmarys I have no clue how they handle things I hope different than calvert does.

General Lee

St. Mary's doesn't have ant paid volunteers. When you call 911 the center dispatches the nearest fire or EMS station and depending on the type of call, an Advanced life support unit is dispatched. These units have at least one paramedic on them.

Most fire and EMS stations have SOP's in place place where at least one EMT has to be on board for an Ambulance to leave out the door. A lot of the fire fighters are crossed trained and are EMT's as well. To be honest, it really depends on the time of day where most vounteers are available, as they work full time jobs as well. If the first due station does not get out within a set amount of time, the next closest station is dispatched....and again who knows who is available at that station. All stations do their best to answer the calls.

Charles county has a number of paid personel in some of the busier stations and on the Advanced Life Support units. They work out of the same stations as the volunteers. Hope this helps answer your questions.

sparkysgirl

There are some time issues with EMS/Fire response in SOMD. You have to remember however, we are volunteer. We do the best we can with what we can. There are times, especially at Solomons, we have all 3 ambulances out on the road or have to respond from Prince Frederick all the way down to our first due. I'm not saying our system is perfect, because from my providers point of view it is very frustrating at times and I understand perfectly well that our citizens have some concerns.

However, we are getting less and less support from our citizens as well. They are quick to bash the volunteers, but I don't see them stepping in and helping. Volunteering one night a week or one a month. When we are constantly bashed by papers like the St. Mary's Today and never praised for the work we do, it severely lowers moral.

Look at the County statistics, generally response time is no where near 30 minutes. I'm not saying it never is and I'm not saying there are not improvements the county/stations can make. But there are things citizens can do to. I can not tell you how many times it has taken me an additional 10 or 15 minutes to find a house because they give the wrong address or there is no address visible on or near their property or there is no body outside to wave us down. This goes both ways, in order for local response (in both counties) to improve, both sides need to step up.

I posted a thread on here about 2 months ago asking for community input on the good and bad things they see from their local company. I planned on taking these back to my station and making improvements, however I did not get much response. If you have specific incidents of good or bad things, please pm me about them.

Kelly
SVRSFD CO. 3

Last edited:

SweetThang

My $.02

Are there any paid EMS,paramedics,etc? A couple years ago,my husband called 911 because someone in our home was having trouble breathing. We waited about 25 minutes,then gave up and drove to the hospital ourselves. I know that is not the best idea,but at the time fear took over the common sense. So it got me to thinking,what happens if one of my kids chokes,or someone has a heart attack,etc. Is the EMS system here to call 911,wait for volunteers to be called,hope they are ready to walk out the door and are sober and nearby,and then someone with minimal training shows up? I am not being critical,I am asking because this really worries me...I have two small kids,one of whom has severe allergic reactions to insects,and if I ever needed help,I would like to feel either more at ease,or know where we would stand.

If you have 2 small children 1 w/allergic reactions YOU should know what to do-do you have an EPI-pen, do you know how to use it?

As sparkysgirl posted what if all the available ambulances are out on calls, doesn't matter if the county has 12-when they are out on calls, they are out.

As far as your cheap shot about being sober-don't go there!:buttkick:

Maybe you should be part of the solution instead of the problem! Go take a CPR class or a First Responders or EMT class.

SweetThang

Are there any paid EMS,paramedics,etc? A couple years ago,my husband called 911 because someone in our home was having trouble breathing. We waited about 25 minutes,then gave up and drove to the hospital ourselves. I know that is not the best idea,but at the time fear took over the common sense. So it got me to thinking,what happens if one of my kids chokes,or someone has a heart attack,etc. Is the EMS system here to call 911,wait for volunteers to be called,hope they are ready to walk out the door and are sober and nearby,and then someone with minimal training shows up? I am not being critical,I am asking because this really worries me...I have two small kids,one of whom has severe allergic reactions to insects,and if I ever needed help,I would like to feel either more at ease,or know where we would stand.

Another thing-didn't you do your research when you moved to where you are living? Or are you one of those folks who move to the country and expect it to be just like where you moved from w/all the amenities?:doh:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:burning:

mackco79

If you have 2 small children 1 w/allergic reactions YOU should know what to do-do you have an EPI-pen, do you know how to use it?

As sparkysgirl posted what if all the available ambulances are out on calls, doesn't matter if the county has 12-when they are out on calls, they are out.

Maybe you should be part of the solution instead of the problem! Go take a CPR class or a First Responders or EMT class.

:yeahthat:

jenbengen

Watch it

Those I have dealt with were very pleasant. That being said, I was an EMT in Florida and really believe that making it a pay/full time with benefits job benefits everybody. Response time will be faster and frankly they just deserve to be paid!

If you call with a serious emergency, they send the appropriately trained people to your door. They don't send somebody who is cpr certified only to a trauma situation. Come on now.

angieanderic

QUOTE=SweetThang;2721735]If you have 2 small children 1 w/allergic reactions YOU should know what to do-do you have an EPI-pen, do you know how to use it?

Maybe you should be part of the solution instead of the problem! Go take a CPR class or a First Responders or EMT class.[/QUOTE]

Wow...you seem to be very knowledgeable about not much of anything. An Epi-Pen is a temporary fix,it is intended only to keep an airway open until help arrives. As for being sober,and telling "don't go there"..are you pissed that you had to interrupt your Jerry Springer time to post? Or maybe you just are upset about all the trailer parks being torn down. It will be ok,don't worry.Now as for being part of the solution,I work two full time jobs. Sorry for not offering to save SMIBS like you.

sparkysgirl

QUOTE=SweetThang;2721735]If you have 2 small children 1 w/allergic reactions YOU should know what to do-do you have an EPI-pen, do you know how to use it?

Wow...you seem to be very knowledgeable about not much of anything. An Epi-Pen is a temporary fix,it is intended only to keep an airway open until help arrives. As for being sober,and telling "don't go there"..are you pissed that you had to interrupt your Jerry Springer time to post? Or maybe you just are upset about all the trailer parks being torn down. It will be ok,don't worry.Now as for being part of the solution,I work two full time jobs. Sorry for not offering to save SMIBS like you.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a serious thread. I for one would appreciate if we could forgo personal attacks and try to stay on the topic at hand.

Thank you for working two full time jobs and supporting yourself and family (if you have one). Volunteering is not for everyone and not everyone is able to do it. But that's not the only way to be a part of the solution.

Cyell

I am currently in the volunteer medical field. Living in a rural area this has always been a concern for me, so when my son was severly burned about 8 years ago and I had no idea what to do and after several years of debating about joining I decided that day that I was going to join my local rescue squad. The training is free, all you have to put in is some time. Volunteers are needed in every organization, but the fact that I have this training, I feel better and more comfortable knowing that if something should happen to one my family members or my new grandchild I will know what to do and how to do it without hurting anyone. As far as waiting for ems personnel to arrive in most areas there are what they first responders and when there is a serious call these people are first to respond even before a ambulance does, so just remember volunteering is a wonderful and personal satisfaction and it also may save a life one day, including your own or a person close to you. So if you have time such as a few hours a week to dedicate you too could receive the satisfaction of being a volunteer.

mackco79

Wow...you seem to be very knowledgeable about not much of anything. An Epi-Pen is a temporary fix,it is intended only to keep an airway open until help arrives. As for being sober,and telling "don't go there"..are you pissed that you had to interrupt your Jerry Springer time to post? Or maybe you just are upset about all the trailer parks being torn down. It will be ok,don't worry.Now as for being part of the solution,I work two full time jobs. Sorry for not offering to save SMIBS like you.[/QUOTE]

So now we are drunk trailer park trash hooked on Jerry:confused: My real problem with your comment falls in the part where you assume we are a bunch of drunks and are not qualified people.. I went to classes as all EMT's and Paramedics do and when you finish the classes you recieve a certification through the U of Maryland. there are guidelines that have to be followed before just anyone can hop on a piece of gear and respond. this is only the end of Febuary and I have responded on almost 100 calls myself and never have I even thought about going to a call drunk or not going to get a piece of gear out because of some show on tv or maybe in the middle of dinner But one of these days this SMIB right here may have to save your life and wont think anything of it I will just do it.....

T

toppick08

So now we are drunk trailer park trash hooked on Jerry:confused: My real problem with your comment falls in the part where you assume we are a bunch of drunks and are not qualified people.. I went to classes as all EMT's and Paramedics do and when you finish the classes you recieve a certification through the U of Maryland. there are guidelines that have to be followed before just anyone can hop on a piece of gear and respond. this is only the end of Febuary and I have responded on almost 100 calls myself and never have I even thought about going to a call drunk or not going to get a piece of gear out because of some show on tv or maybe in the middle of dinner But one of these days this SMIB right here may have to save your life and wont think anything of it I will just do it.....[/QUOTE]

:cheers:

This_person

St. Mary's County doesn't yet have a professional (paid) service, but we are getting there slowly but surely. The professional-grade volunteers seem to take offense when someone suggests they get paid for their work. They get beligerantly offensive about it, as a matter of fact. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they get so offended at the thought of getting paid for their service.

However, The Enterprise reports the County Commissioners are finally looking to pay these people, starting with a few positions in the high-call areas:
The Enterprise said:
The St. Mary’s County commissioners accepted recommendations Tuesday to try to strengthen volunteer fire and rescue services.

A task force recommended a paid contract position be added temporarily to the Advanced Life Support unit to help cover more calls. The group also recommended that the department of public safety add two employees to recruit and retain volunteers for fire stations and rescue squads. A doctor would need to be brought on part time as well for 911 response protocols.

The ALS unit supports the idea, as does the county’s emergency services committee. The ALS unit had 68 members in 2007, only a slight increase from 2002 and demand has been great, stretching manpower too thin. There were almost 3,600 ALS calls in 2002 and more than 4,100 in 2007.

The paid positions are included in this year’s budget request, but haven’t been formally evaluated yet.
Hopefully those people who sacrifice so much for their service will start getting paid, and can stop doing their other jobs and take on that position for which they are so dedicated.

BravoFarp

Certified P.I.A.
QUOTE=SweetThang;2721735]

As for being sober,and telling "don't go there"..are you pissed that you had to interrupt your Jerry Springer time to post? Or maybe you just are upset about all the trailer parks being torn down. It will be ok,don't worry.Now as for being part of the solution,I work two full time jobs. Sorry for not offering to save SMIBS like you.

Hmmmm. I have never lived in a trailer park. I hate Jerry Springer. I barely ever drink alcohol. I have never been unemployed. I am not from here.

But I do have a full time job. I am working towards a higher degree. I am a reservist. I AM ALSO A VOLUNTEER E.M.T. I have never ran a call drunk. I have never put anyone ELSE'S life in danger. And like ALL of my fellow volunteers, I do my best and give as much as I can. I do just as much training if not more for my volunteer profession as I do my paid one.

What do you want from me? From US? Perhaps I should submit my latest resume' the next time I walk in your front door. Perhaps you should step down of that pedestal that you stand on and actually come see what we do. Maybe then you won't come on here and talk out of your a$$. Have you ever been depended on by so many people and gotten nothing in return?

Do you want someone to be there all day every day? Yes you do.
But would you pay for it? HELL NO YOU WOULDN'T.

I sure as hell wouldn't want such an ugly, heartless person LIKE YOU greeting me when I knock on the door. But we have no choice do we? Ten years ago someone was having trouble breathing, I'm sorry it took so long. I have no idea why. But neither do you. You can take it out on us if you want. Call us rednecks, SMIBS, drunks, or VOLUNTEERS (thats the filthiest word of them all) but when the metal hits the meat, we will be there no matter what you call us. BECAUSE WE ARE ALL YOU HAVE.

My suggestion, move to Leonardtown. Singletree is nice and you can walk to the ER. That way you never have to call 911.

TO ALL MY FELLOW PROFFESIONAL VOLUNTEERS: I'm on duty right now. Be Safe. See you on the road. :patriot:

bcp

In My Opinion
would you rather have someone doing it for the money.
or
would you rather have someone doing it because they care and are exceptionally good people.?