A question for the Moms

JeweledSkye

I Make Nerd Look Good
I've heard all kinds of things about which creams are best to use to help prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. I'm currently using Palmer's Tummy Butter, but I've also heard of this stuff called "Mother's Friend" or something... but can't seem to find it anywhere.

What would you suggest? And where would you go to buy it?

Cowgirl

JeweledSkye said:
I've heard all kinds of things about which creams are best to use to help prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. I'm currently using Palmer's Tummy Butter, but I've also heard of this stuff called "Mother's Friend" or something... but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Maybe someone can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure they say you're either going to get them or you're not. I don't think lotions will do much of anything to prevent them. They might make you feel better though...if your stomach starts feeling itchy or tight. :shrug:

mamissa3

That is what i have always heard to. I think alot of it has to do with how your mothers skin was to. Although My mother didnt have stretch marks and she had 6 kids. i am haveing my 5th in sept and i only have a few. So i think that has something to do with it to.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Don't know anything about the purpose made lotions but Vitamin-E oil has been the rub of choice for a few of my friends.

M

Mousebaby

I've always heard that if your gonna get them your gonna get them. My mother had 4 kids and has not 1 stretch mark on her. Me, I look like a railroad!!! My tummy is covered in them, and I've got them going in three different directions! I used all that stuff they said to use and nothing helped. The lotion does cut down on the itching though. Sorry to tell you this. But it's all worth it in the end. I've got three wonderful children and I wouldn't give back any of my stretch marks! Just relax and have a happy pregnancy, because one day you will be wishing you could do it all over again and you won't be able to! :huggy:

Nanny Pam

I heard that "Palmers Coco Butter" helps. Now I have no idea if it stops them, and personally, I don't think anything will. But that Palmers smells so good!! :baby:

JeweledSkye said:

Nothing will prevent stretch marks. They're genetic. However, you can try to make them less severe but keeping hydrated, eathing healthy, and keeping the area moisturized. I tried Palmer's but hated the smell. I've been using Jergen's Shea Butter.

Oh, and if your tummy itches, try your best not to scratch!

S

StrwberryKisses

I heard just keeping your tummy nice and moisturized works well. This way your skin can stretch and have the moister to return to its normal look after your bundle of joy comes.

:flowers:

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
I used a very high-end anti stretch mark creme throughout my entire pregnancy; religiously applying it at least twice daily.

It didn't matter. I have the worst stretch marks in the world--all the way from my breasts down to my knees; some an inch wide.

Forget the stretchmark creme...save your money for the tummytuck. :yay:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
My Gram was a midwife for almost 50 years and I heard her say many times that if you were gonna get 'em you were gonna get 'em and nothing would stop 'em.

She used to make some kind of cream for her expectant mothers to rub on their tummy's for the tightness and itchyness etc. Some said it even made the stretch marks lighter. :shrug: I wish I'd paid more attention to her concoctions ( I kick myself for that all the time) but I know it had sandalwood in it.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
I got moderate stretch marks. I about died when I first realized they were there! :lmao: But you know what... I now have two beautiful daughters and I found myself forgetting all about the stretch marks, and until you posted this... I hadn't thought about them in years. Think of them as a badge of honor.

lovinmaryland

Speedy70 said:
Nothing will prevent stretch marks. They're genetic. However, you can try to make them less severe but keeping hydrated, eathing healthy, and keeping the area moisturized. I tried Palmer's but hated the smell. I've been using Jergen's Shea Butter.

the jergens shea butter smells amazing... i got a sample size of it from babies r us during one of their baby days. it worked pretty good, i already had stretch marks from the previous babies but it really helped with the tight itchiness.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
BS Gal said:
I didn't really get any. My sister did, though.

I didn't get any, and I had four big babies (8lbs 6 ozs, 9 lbs, 9lbs 3 oz. and 10 1/2 lbs.) My sister had 2 kids and her tummy is covered.

lovinmaryland

nachomama said:
I didn't get any, and I had four big babies (8lbs 6 ozs, 9 lbs, 9lbs 3 oz. and 10 1/2 lbs.) My sister had 2 kids and her tummy is covered.

you are one of the lucky ones then, i have had four and have them on my tummy like crazy, not really any where else though. oh well they were worth it. :howdy:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Speedy70 said:

Um question, Why wouldn't you want to scratch? Does that do something to the baby?

JeweledSkye

I Make Nerd Look Good
mv_princess said:
Um question, Why wouldn't you want to scratch? Does that do something to the baby?

I know that scratching just helps to dry out the skin more, and that's part of the reason you should avoid it. Its like having try skin on your legs... the more you scratch, the worse it gets... and you continuously do damage to the healthy layers of skin you have underneath of the dry stuff.