A sneaky piece of data every iPhone photo gives away (and how to turn it off)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There are plenty of reasons why your iPhone keeps track of all your locations: Many of your phone apps depend on accurate location tracking to function, from directions in Google Maps to looking for a nearby restaurant on Yelp. That precise location awareness extends to the images you capture with your Photos app, too.

Anytime you snap a photo or record a video with your iPhone, it creates information related to the file -- including the creation date and your location -- and then stores this data, called metadata, within your media.

A sneaky piece of data every iPhone photo gives away (and how to turn it off) - CNET

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I never knew the steps to fix it. :sshrug:
Yeah I took a look at mine, the steps to get the information are there, but I couldn’t find any place to delete the mapping on my phone. I’ve got an older iPhone maybe it won’t do it because I’m not at a current OS or something.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yeah I took a look at mine, the steps to get the information are there, but I couldn’t find any place to delete the mapping on my phone. I’ve got an older iPhone maybe it won’t do it because I’m not at a current OS or something.
I have a 10 but haven't pushed the 15 yet. So I haven't tried yet.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
No offense, but this isn't anything new ..... EXIF data has been around a while now

HemiHauler

And if you really want to have some fun, download the pics people post here and examine the EXIF data. But don’t use it to doxx - heavens no - that would be unethical at best, illegal at worst. But you can learn a LOT.

Protip: most forum software I am familiar with will scrub EXIF data on upload - usually enabled via a plug-in. You’re welcome.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:yikes:

Now I have to edit all the shirtless photos I posted to Tinder so I dont' get any weirdos.

Homer J

Power Chord

Try this: Open the Settings, scroll down to "Privacy", open "Location Services", scroll down to "Camera" and open, change location access to "Never".

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I always run my pic thru another program to reduce the size so it can be posted easily. A side benefit is that all the EXIF data is stripped and the picture left is a flat JPEG.