A Step in the Right Direction

PJay

Sorry about that. It shows up for me and I haven't registered there. I could copy and paste the story, but believe that's not allowed.

Edit to add: It opens for me in explorer not netscape

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Homesick said:
Sorry about that. It shows up for me and I haven't resgistered there. I could copy and paste the story, but believe that's not allowed.
Give us a few pertinent paragraphs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
So, how many convicted sex offenders out there own property?
Probably more than you'd think. Child molestors can be completely functional members of society - except for this one teensy flaw. :rolleyes: They aren't necessarily some dirtbag hanging out at the City Mission. Kids get molested all the time by their "funny Uncle" or a father or grandfather. Boy Scout troop leaders. Ministers. Child sex predators come in all shapes and sizes.

Yes, they might lose their property when they go to jail (which is, I assume, what you mean), but jail isn't forever - sex offender status is. There's no reason why they couldn't get out of prison, get a job, buy a house, find some more little kids to molest...a bank won't reject them for a mortgage loan just because they've been incarcerated.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
Probably more than you'd think. Child molestors can be completely functional members of society - except for this one teensy flaw. :rolleyes: They aren't necessarily some dirtbag hanging out at the City Mission. Kids get molested all the time by their "funny Uncle" or a father or grandfather. Boy Scout troop leaders. Ministers. Child sex predators come in all shapes and sizes.

Yes, they might lose their property when they go to jail (which is, I assume, what you mean), but jail isn't forever - sex offender status is. There's no reason why they couldn't get out of prison, get a job, buy a house, find some more little kids to molest...a bank won't reject them for a mortgage loan just because they've been incarcerated.

:bonk: I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to mrweb.

I said "convicted" sex offenders. How does one manage to keep property paid for when in jail? If one is convicted, s/he's going to lose job, home, family, etc. What could they possibly possess by the time they're released?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
elaine said:
:bonk: I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to mrweb.

I said "convicted" sex offenders. How does one manage to keep property paid for when in jail? If one is convicted, s/he's going to lose job, home, family, etc. What could they possibly possess by the time they're released?
Theoretically, the child molester (or rapist) could be married, and own a home with his wife. He goes to jail, she stands by her man and keeps the house, he comes back, bada-bing he's got a house. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
If one is convicted, s/he's going to lose job, home, family, etc. What could they possibly possess by the time they're released?
You would leave your husband if he molested a child. I would leave my husband if he molested a child. But we both know that there are gobs of women who would be waiting right by the gate to take up house with him when he was released.

K

Kizzy

In each and every state, sex offenders are released under the supervision of a Parole/Probation Officer and they have to constantly check around and determine if there are potential victims in the area of the offender’s work and residence. If they believe there are, they are responsible to notify them, ASAP. They can create rules and regulations on limiting where a sex offender can live, but in the state of Maryland, it is based on potential threats and victims. A judge could determine there is not threat and not require them to move/sell their home, then if something happens, the judge cannot be sued since they have absolute immunity. These new laws that we are seeing right now are new, well, as far as limiting the residence within feet of daycares, schools, ect. so only time will tell what piss poor decisions will be made in the future by a judge, or what legal defense is going to be used to keep them from making them move. I know Ken King keeps up on case law, so if I'm wrong in stating my not researched opinion about there being no case law yet , he'll correct me. :lol:

Long Day! :dead:

I’ve said on here many times, that sex offenders are some of the nicest people you will ever met. They will not hesitate to run over and help you do anything. They are often extremely active in the community, all round “nice” guys, but then they have that problem you are shocked to hear about. (sorry for the sexual discrimination but most sexual offender’s are male)

And vrai,

You are very right in saying that many DON'T leave their husbands after they have committed a sex offense. :ohwell:

Many are so manipulated into thinking that their husbands were just victims of false accusations or they are co-dependants.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

A few years ago, didn't some judge get in hot water for giving a defendant a choice.......have your whizzer cut off or get 20 to life?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
... so only time will tell what piss poor decisions will be made in the future by a judge, or what legal defense is going to be used to keep them from making them move. I know Ken King keeps up on case law, so if I'm wrong in stating my not researched opinion about there being no case law yet , he'll correct me. :lol:
Let me state first off that I think sex offenders (especially child sex-offenders) are one of the greatest menaces to our society. The should have the harshest sentences imposed and the duration should be mandatory without parole and not afforded the opportunity to plea out to a lesser offense.

Now having said that we get into the new added punishments many legislatures are taking up that will be subjected upon those that have already served the ordered punishment. It is my belief that such impositions are contrary to the provisions of our Constitution as to "ex post facto" laws (see Article 1, section 9 and 10). The given definition for this provision is "An ex post facto law is a law passed after the occurrence of an event or action which retrospectively changes the legal consequences of the event or action." As this is Constitutionally prohibited I see those already doing time, or that have completed their sentence, cannot be further restricted then what was the law when they were convicted.

K

Kizzy

Very good point Ken.

I think the case law forthcoming will be interesting, and it will address many of these "issues" people have brought up in this thread.

Now, I'm going to back up to the first thing you said.

When I first decided to do the job that I do, my DH said "Oh, this is just wonderful, I lock them up, and you want to find them jobs, counseling, and treatment in hopes that your humanist beliefs work, once they get out.”

Well of course there were serious discussions in the Kizzy & capsfan household before I took the job, and in those discussions, he called me a sponge and said he has watched me time and time again become so absorbed by others, that he was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to determine when enough is enough. Many issues and examples, personally and professionally, were discussed and when the topic of sex offenders came up, he said “they will never be rehabilitated, so your role there should be solely focused on protecting society” and basically repeated exactly what you just said about those types of offenders. I’ll admit that, at that time, I wasn’t willing to give up a humanist view point on this particular issue.

Well, many of my humanist views have gone out the window over the course of the past 6-months, so with that said

Ken King said:
Let me state first off that I think sex offenders (especially child sex-offenders) are one of the greatest menaces to our society. The should have the harshest sentences imposed and the duration should be mandatory without parole and not afforded the opportunity to plea out to a lesser offense.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY CORRECT, and I no longer have the slightest bit of hope that they can and will be rehabilitated and it is just a matter of time, sad but true, before they will offend again. But since harder sentencing doesn't seem to be the focus of many of these new rules, and really it should be, society can only hope that they have a very long probation period with the sole purpose of protecting society.

BTW, a few of us on the forum were out last night, and we were just a few feet from a registered sex offender.

People need to view what resources we have to us now, all the time, and make sure they are familiar with the registry in their area.

Last edited by a moderator: