A Waffle House Employee Realized He Had Too Many Customers.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That particular November night, the Waffle House had a little problem -- too many customers. Well, too many customers in relation to the number of employees. Which was one. The man -- whose name is Ben -- was cooking, serving and washing up. Entirely alone.
As AL.com reported, Ethan Crispo was one of those customers. Soon, he was sure he'd be going home hungry. Was McDonald's closed? Indeed in most fast-food places, I suspect, the customers would have grumbled, moaned, shouted at the lone employee and then gone elsewhere.
It seems this Waffle House is a little different. As Crispo explained:
From the blue, a man from the bar stands up. Asks Ben for an apron, and begins to work behind the counter. It was a transition so smooth I initially assumed it was a staff member returning to their shift. It wasn't. It was a kind stranger. A man who answered the call. Bussed tables, did dishes, stacked plates.
Perhaps this stranger was merely a man with no place to go and a decent heart. Perhaps he was one of those happy anomalies. The evidence suggests that this particular Waffle House has more than one anomaly.
Crispo describes a woman who walked in:

She's in heels and a tight dress, she'd been to an event. And she's walking around behind the counter, and I could tell she certainly didn't come from food service ... It was almost comical, here's this pretty woman in heels and a dress ... just trying to help, and the next thing you know she's stacking cups and running orders and bussing tables.

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczy...ly-unexpected-and-says-a-lot-about-brand.html

BOP

That particular November night, the Waffle House had a little problem -- too many customers. Well, too many customers in relation to the number of employees. Which was one. The man -- whose name is Ben -- was cooking, serving and washing up. Entirely alone.
As AL.com reported, Ethan Crispo was one of those customers. Soon, he was sure he'd be going home hungry. Was McDonald's closed? Indeed in most fast-food places, I suspect, the customers would have grumbled, moaned, shouted at the lone employee and then gone elsewhere.
It seems this Waffle House is a little different. As Crispo explained:

Perhaps this stranger was merely a man with no place to go and a decent heart. Perhaps he was one of those happy anomalies. The evidence suggests that this particular Waffle House has more than one anomaly.
Crispo describes a woman who walked in:

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczy...ly-unexpected-and-says-a-lot-about-brand.html
It doesn't say sh*t about "the Brand." Most likely, it was the only place around to get something to eat, and more than likely the customers were both local and regular. Also, it happened in the South, where, along with the Midwest, things like that are more likely to happen.

Hell, I've seen it and done it myself, a couple of times. It's kind of a cool thing to be a part of, actually. One time it happened during the years I'd been a cook, so it was no problem to step behind the grill while the employee took orders and ran the register, and another customer bused dishes and took orders out to customers.

Another time, I bused dishes and poured coffee and basically shot the breeze with customers until the employees (I think there was a cook and a single waitress) got out of the hole they were in.

transporter

Sometimes we need to be reminded that there are still good people in the world that will help others without expecting anything in return.

When your entire existence is defined by looking for and broadcasting the worst in people (which seems to be the sole reason for living for the ignorati types), you'll never see that there are lots of good people in the world.

BOP

When your entire existence is defined by looking for and broadcasting the worst in people (which seems to be the sole reason for living for the ignorati types), you'll never see that there are lots of good people in the world.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Huddle House for me... they have meat and crispy hash browns. 😋

I have never heard of Huddle House. I like their name. I looked them up. The only one in MD is in Lanham. There wasn’t one in NOLA or Baton Rouge. Learn something new every day. It was founded in 1964. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

WingsOfGold

I have never heard of Huddle House. I like their name. I looked them up. The only one in MD is in Lanham. Learn something new every day. Thanks. :)
Well they're the exact same thing as "Toddle House", I always went to the one outside Andrews after the bars closed. Good and greasy! 😋 Been over a year since I went to one and that was in the Poconos before we hit the road for home. A mystery customer picked up my tab because of my hat (see avatar) waitress said she couldn't ident him but it was truly a nice gesture. I certainly didn't expect it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Well they're the exact same thing as "Toddle House", I always went to the one outside Andrews after the bars closed. Good and greasy! 😋 Been over a year since I went to one and that was in the Poconos before we hit the road for home. A mystery customer picked up my tab because of my hat (see avatar) waitress said she couldn't ident him but it was truly a nice gesture. I certainly didn't expect it.

Love your story. Thank you for sharing it, and thank you for your service. :patriot:

WingsOfGold

Love your story. Thank you for sharing it, and thank you for your service. :patriot:
Not necessary at all to thank but I thank you. I understand why YOU say it and it's appreciated but honestly I often find it offensive especially coming from the insurance companies or USAA credit cards and the like. Some of these thankers were booers and spitters 50 years ago so I'd rather not hear it on the street or phone.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Not necessary at all to thank but I thank you. I understand why YOU say it and it's appreciated but honestly I often find it offensive especially coming from the insurance companies or USAA credit cards and the like. Some of these thankers were booers and spitters 50 years ago so I'd rather not hear it on the street or phone.

Ok. I get it. :)