ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

3CATSAILOR

Yeah, a Trone ad comes up every time you go to a different article or category.
Why doesn't the Legislators in Annapolis make themselves useful and pass laws to do something about the pop ups on cell phones and computers instead of finding ways to raise our taxes in any way they think they can? I wouldn't be surprised if Annapolis tried to bring back the rain tax. I think most of us remember the rain tax they tried.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Why doesn't the Legislators in Annapolis make themselves useful and pass laws to do something about the pop ups on cell phones and computers instead of finding ways to raise our taxes in any way they think they can? I wouldn't be surprised if Annapolis tried to bring back the rain tax. I think most of us remember the rain tax they tried.
The "Rain Tax" never went away. It was renamed and the six or seven jurisdictions that were required to have line items in their budgets specifically delineating the revenue stream and expenditures for it had that requirement taken out. That was because those jurisdictions had a habit of ignoring environmental regulations and also were the largest.

All the rest of the Counties and Municipalities had been told that it would just be contained in the regular budget process as a line item like Law Enforcement with no revenue stream for it identified. That's how it is now for all the jurisdictions.

It comes under the Watershed Improvement Plan (WIP) that each County had to adopt and the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) regulations. The latter are targeted at sewer and septic systems and, to an extent, agriculture as well as large building and impervious surface (think parking lots) runoff. That's one reason you're seeing more impoundments and landscaping as well as green roofs on new buildings.

Last edited:

3CATSAILOR

The "Rain Tax" never went away. It was renamed and the six or seven jurisdictions that were required to have line items in their budgets specifically delineating the revenue stream and expenditures for it had that requirement taken out. That was because those jurisdictions had a habit of ignoring environmental regulations and also were the largest.

All the rest of the Counties and Municipalities had been told that it would just be contained in the regular budget process as a line item like Law Enforcement with no revenue stream for it identified. That's how it is now for all the jurisdictions.

It comes under the Watershed Improvement Plan (WIP) that each County had to adopt and the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) regulations. The latter are targeted at sewer and septic systems and, to an extent, agriculture as well as large building and impervious surface (think parking lots) runoff. That's one reason you're seeing more impoundments and landscaping as well as green roofs on new buildings.
Wow, so they covered it under something else as just another tax. Another way to pry money out of our pockets.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Wow, so they covered it under something else as just another tax. Another way to pry money out of our pockets.
Just another tax? Maybe. It's rolled into the taxes you already pay, just doesn't have a separate revenue line that breaks it out as to where it goes. Other than your current tax bill saying that XX% goes to the school system the rest of it isn't shown as to what the expenditures go to except on broad outlines:
Law Enforcement-$XXXX
Planning and Zoning-$XXX
Stormwater Management:-$XXX
with no mention of where the funds come from except General Tax Revenues, Income Tax, Intergovernmental Transfers, etc.
I know that St. Mary's has a District specified Fire Tax that's broken out.
You wouldn't have seen it unless you lived in one of the originally specified jurisdictions, but their budgets would have had a revenue line saying $XX Stormwater and WIP Compliance (or some such) and an expenditure line saying the same thing.

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
The preliminary investigation revealed a 2021 Honda Accord, operated by Autumn Leighanne Compton, 19, of Cobb Island, attempted to make a left-hand turn from Mechanicsville Road onto southbound Budds Creek Road. Compton failed to yield the right of way to a 2000 Chevrolet truck operated by Zachary Joseph Wilburn, age 24, of North Beach, MD, traveling northbound on Budds Creek Road.

Compton was pronounced deceased on the scene. A passenger of the pick-up truck was transported to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital by ambulance for minor injuries. A teen girl this time. The accidents keep piling up.

3CATSAILOR

Just another tax? Maybe. It's rolled into the taxes you already pay, just doesn't have a separate revenue line that breaks it out as to where it goes. Other than your current tax bill saying that XX% goes to the school system the rest of it isn't shown as to what the expenditures go to except on broad outlines:
Law Enforcement-$XXXX
Planning and Zoning-$XXX
Stormwater Management:-$XXX
with no mention of where the funds come from except General Tax Revenues, Income Tax, Intergovernmental Transfers, etc.
I know that St. Mary's has a District specified Fire Tax that's broken out.
You wouldn't have seen it unless you lived in one of the originally specified jurisdictions, but their budgets would have had a revenue line saying $XX Stormwater and WIP Compliance (or some such) and an expenditure line saying the same thing.
I heard a few days ago from a person running for the BOE that the Board of Education has separate fund that is designated as "other". No one seems to know how much is in it or what was spent from it or what the intended purpose is of an alternate fund. Does anyone know if it is true?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I heard a few days ago from a person running for the BOE that the Board of Education has separate fund that is designated as "other". No one seems to know how much is in it or what was spent from it or what the intended purpose is of an alternate fund. Does anyone know if it is true?
If it's a line item in the budget then it should have an amount attached.
Auditors don't like to see "Other". Usually it's noted as "Undesignated" or "Reserve".

If true that there's an off the books fund then that is something that needs reported to the State Attorney General.

Grumpy

ginwoman

Sad about the buggy accident. It's dangerous around here for a car much less a horse and buggy.

Sick of Trone too. Creep.

I'm going back and forth between Ficker and Hogan.

3CATSAILOR

If it's a line item in the budget then it should have an amount attached.
Auditors don't like to see "Other". Usually it's noted as "Undesignated" or "Reserve".

If true that there's an off the books fund then that is something that needs reported to the State Attorney General.
Yeah, I would think so too. I found sometimes folks running for office aledge something that have the truth a bit twisted. However, nothing surprises me with the BOE.

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
I witnessed four more going off of the road and then back on today. One was so bad, I called 911 before the driver killed someone. When the driver crossed the center line after coming accross from the shoulder, I dropped way back from behind him. This one happened souith of the Park. As I suspected, no police in the area. Back in the day, I remember police had an urgency to get someone dangerous off of the road. It appears in St. Mary's County at least, traffic safety is on a back burner. It;'s unforunate. I know the Sheriff has some "Traffic Safety Intiatives" that are supposed to help. Perhaps they haven't had time to take effect yet. After a 911 call, the police never showed up. I was behind him for quite a while until it wast iem to turn on my road.

Separate from this, I read about a six year old child who died from yet another accident. Whatever the County and the State thinks they are doing to improve things, they couldn't be more wrong. I know there is a solution out there. It has to be. This can't continue unabated. Too many are dying. It seems like every week people are dying from accidents.

ginwoman

I witnessed four more going off of the road and then back on today. One was so bad, I called 911 before the driver killed someone. When the driver crossed the center line after coming accross from the shoulder, I dropped way back from behind him. This one happened souith of the Park. As I suspected, no police in the area. Back in the day, I remember police had an urgency to get someone dangerous off of the road. It appears in St. Mary's County at least, traffic safety is on a back burner. It;'s unforunate. I know the Sheriff has some "Traffic Safety Intiatives" that are supposed to help. Perhaps they haven't had time to take effect yet. After a 911 call, the police never showed up. I was behind him for quite a while until it wast iem to turn on my road.

Separate from this, I read about a six year old child who died from yet another accident. Whatever the County and the State thinks they are doing to improve things, they couldn't be more wrong. I know there is a solution out there. It has to be. This can't continue unabated. Too many are dying. It seems like every week people are dying from accidents.
I hear ya. I have an eye doctor appt in PF this morning. Wonder how much stupid shiat I'll see. I just pray to get home safe every time I go somewhere.

glhs837

Power with Control

Yep, done that myself a time or two, same result. If they are crossing the double, I'll honk at them, and keep doing it until they straighten up and fly right. And no, I see no evidence at all that there has been any effort to increase traffic safety. Lip service radar and laser enforcement on occasion.

You cannot legislate against stupid.

Absolutely all the accidents… 100% of them resulted from human error.

Period.

Nobody is asking for new laws. Just deterrent enforcement of the most common cause, cell phones. Went to Airport view drive from Park Hall Road and back Wednesday around 130pm. I saw six people with phones in hand looking at them. Dedicate an officer three hours three days a week to just look for that. Word will spread pretty damn quick. If the " he said she said" thing is an issue, rigging a motorcycle dashcam DVR system to show the officers POV into other cars that only freezes the footage to storage when a button is pressed would take me about 20 minutes. Mount one of the systems two cameras on the end of the light bar right above the officers head. Officer sees an offense, hits the button. Show the offender the video, issue ticket

Great system for this.

ginwoman

Yep, done that myself a time or two, same result. If they are crossing the double, I'll honk at them, and keep doing it until they straighten up and fly right. And no, I see no evidence at all that there has been any effort to increase traffic safety. Lip service radar and laser enforcement on occasion.

Nobody is asking for new laws. Just deterrent enforcement of the most common cause, cell phones. Went to Airport view drive from Park Hall Road and back Wednesday around 130pm. I saw six people with phones in hand looking at them. Dedicate an officer three hours three days a week to just look for that. Word will spread pretty damn quick. If the " he said she said" thing is an issue, rigging a motorcycle dashcam DVR system to show the officers POV into other cars that only freezes the footage to storage when a button is pressed would take me about 20 minutes. Mount one of the systems two cameras on the end of the light bar right above the officers head. Officer sees an offense, hits the button. Show the offender the video, issue ticket

Great system for this.
Dumb question here..... what is POV?
I had a friend recently get a warning for talking on the phone.