Accompany a hunter?

antwheat

I am the Decider!
I recently moved to MD and a friend of mine who has never hunted would like to go with me one time to see what it's all about... He's not going to actually be hunting or carrying a weapon. I've looked all over and can't find info regarding someone accompanying a hunter. Does he need a license or any kind of permit to be with me if I'm doing the shooting???

blacklabman

I recently moved to MD and a friend of mine who has never hunted would like to go with me one time to see what it's all about... He's not going to actually be hunting or carrying a weapon. I've looked all over and can't find info regarding someone accompanying a hunter. Does he need a license or any kind of permit to be with me if I'm doing the shooting???

He needs a hunting license to assist a hunter.

nomoney

They need a license but not a hunting license. He needs the special observer license. If you wait for the county fair, they have a booth usually over by the log carving section where for that weekend only your buddy can get the observer license for half off. Its usually the best deal, and you don't have to wait in line at DNR.

I went with hubby last year. I got the required observer license at the September County fair. It works out good they always have the license booth during fair season because hunting season is right after that.... also, prices go up if you wait until the season you want to observe kicks in.

nomoney

I went with hubby last year. I got the required observer license at the September County fair. It works out good they always have the license booth during fair season because hunting season is right after that.... also, prices go up if you wait until the season you want to observe kicks in.

Did Gertrudes sister work the booth when you got it? She's the best! I can't remember her name though. I always get my frog gigging observer license because those little guys actually let out a little scream when they're speared. I don't wanna be the one that spears them, but their little yelps are always good for a giggle.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Didn't realize there was such a license. What's the point of the license? I only ask because I know hunters who take their kids (just to watch, not shoot) and I'm pretty sure they don't have one.

jenni4

Yay me!
there is no such license... If they don't carry a weapon into the field and wear hunter orange when required then they are fine.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Did Gertrudes sister work the booth when you got it? She's the best! I can't remember her name though. I always get my frog gigging observer license because those little guys actually let out a little scream when they're speared. I don't wanna be the one that spears them, but their little yelps are always good for a giggle.

:twitch: WTH???

hehe... ok. I got a little giggle outta that :lol:

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Ok so we have some people saying there is no such license, and others saying it can be obtained at the fair... anyone know whats really up? I want to go with the bf this year. I'd like to eventually get my own hunting license but its not something Im really pressed on. Im OK with watching for now :biggrin:

Also... what about on private property? Forgive me if thats a stupid question... but do you have to have an "observers" license (if there is such a thing) if the hunting will be done on private property owned by the person who is going to be doing the actual shooting?

:popcorn:

bulldog

I read the 2010-2011 guide to hunting and fishing yesterday...pretty much front to back and never saw anything that required any type of permit to go observe.
Me thinks someone is pulling on your leg.

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
I read the 2010-2011 guide to hunting and fishing yesterday...pretty much front to back and never saw anything that required any type of permit to go observe.
Me thinks someone is pulling on your leg.

Well they have regulations for every-frigging-thing else... why not this too?! :lmao:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Ok so we have some people saying there is no such license, and others saying it can be obtained at the fair... anyone know whats really up? I want to go with the bf this year. I'd like to eventually get my own hunting license but its not something Im really pressed on. Im OK with watching for now :biggrin:

Also... what about on private property? Forgive me if thats a stupid question... but do you have to have an "observers" license (if there is such a thing) if the hunting will be done on private property owned by the person who is going to be doing the actual shooting?

:popcorn:

Are you REALLY sure you want to go hunting with your boyfriend?

wch

As long as you are not carrying a firearm, you do NOT need any license to observe.
Can not find anything yay or nay on the subject, and as far as I know as long as they are appropriately dressed for the occasion and are not armed wth?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Can not find anything yay or nay on the subject, and as far as I know as long as they are appropriately dressed for the occasion and are not armed wth?
If you aren't carrying a firearm, how can you be hunting? :shrug:

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
If you aren't carrying a firearm, how can you be hunting? :shrug:

...thats the whole point of this thread, silly. People (including myself) wanted to know if you have to have a license, permit, etc. just to accompany a hunter; sit up in the tree stand, etc., but not carry a firearm and subsequently not be doing any actual shooting.