Acne

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I hate to admit I've had acne all my life - ever since puberty. The only time I cleared up was when I was pregnant. Acne - for the most part- is hormone related, but your immune system can play a role too. Since I've tried everything under the sun since the 70's here's what I've found.
First - chem peels are temporary fixes on the surface. Good for scarring and discoloration but that's all.
I found that taking a a good vitamin C/Zinc/D/E combo is a great start (CliniCure is a good choice). I also use natural Kirks' castille soap with tea tree oil (natures cure all - trust me) available at Target & health food stores (and the Giant in Lusby has it too).
If you're going to use an astringent/toner - try to stick with a mild version with tea tree oil or witch hazel. Get some Preparation H wipes or equivalent (sounds weird but they're infused with witch hazel) and use them during the day to freshen up.
YOU NEED TO MOISTURIZE! I found that Avalon vitamin C facial serum works wonders and it only takes a drop or 2. Morning and before bed. Lot's of stores carry it.
Throw out any old makeup! go get Neutrogena oil free foundation and use it as a coverup (it has salicylic acid), any good oil free blush or powder.
There are some supplements for hormonal balance, but you'll have to experiment on yourself and then re-adjust every once in a while. And get sleep if you can.
Hope this helps a bit.

sockgirl77

I hate to admit I've had acne all my life - ever since puberty. The only time I cleared up was when I was pregnant. Acne - for the most part- is hormone related, but your immune system can play a role too. Since I've tried everything under the sun since the 70's here's what I've found.
First - chem peels are temporary fixes on the surface. Good for scarring and discoloration but that's all.
I found that taking a a good vitamin C/Zinc/D/E combo is a great start (CliniCure is a good choice). I also use natural Kirks' castille soap with tea tree oil (natures cure all - trust me) available at Target & health food stores (and the Giant in Lusby has it too).
If you're going to use an astringent/toner - try to stick with a mild version with tea tree oil or witch hazel. Get some Preparation H wipes or equivalent (sounds weird but they're infused with witch hazel) and use them during the day to freshen up.
YOU NEED TO MOISTURIZE! I found that Avalon vitamin C facial serum works wonders and it only takes a drop or 2. Morning and before bed. Lot's of stores carry it.
Throw out any old makeup! go get Neutrogena oil free foundation and use it as a coverup (it has salicylic acid), any good oil free blush or powder.
There are some supplements for hormonal balance, but you'll have to experiment on yourself and then re-adjust every once in a while. And get sleep if you can.
Hope this helps a bit.

I only wear makeup once or twice per month. And sleep...I average 4-5 hours per night now. That's something that I really need to work on.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I only wear makeup once or twice per month. And sleep...I average 4-5 hours per night now. That's something that I really need to work on.

That's a big issue for me too. I know the less sleep I get the more I have problems with....everything!

But the foundation will help on the surface and also act as a gentle peel. I normally don't wear it either except when I need to cover up and then it helps to heal. I may have acne but I don't have wrinkles - hell of a trade off.
If it's really bad - look for glycolic acid products. I used one called Serious Skin Care when I had cystic acne.

Be careful of over-cleansing. That's just irritate your skin and cause more/worse breakouts. BTW - you said you were taking BC pills. Please find an alternative soon for your health :huggy:

sockgirl77

Be careful of over-cleansing. That's just irritate your skin and cause more/worse breakouts. BTW - you said you were taking BC pills. Please find an alternative soon for your health :huggy:
The BC pills are for my health. They regulate my hormones and keep my periods regular. I have PCOS so this is a must.

MarieB

As someone else stated, it's not good to exfoliate every day. I don't have acne problems, but my skin has been horribly dry and flaky. I got one of those Oil of Olay spin brush thingies, and my skin is so much better. My sister uses one that works better and is way more expensive, but I was too cheap to buy that one. :) She swears by the chemical peel too.

Drink lots of water too

Roman

Hope this helps a bit.
I'm taking Zinc, Magnesium, E, C, along with a few other vitamins. Where do you find the the Combo with the D?

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I'm fixed and on the pill so I'm quite certain that's not the issue. The issue is convenience. I need to start making myself salads and bringing them in instead of ordering takeout. I order a $5 lunch special that lasts me 2 days.

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water every single day too. It flushes the impurities out of your body and hydrates and clears your skin. Dead skin cells can cause acne too so be sure and moisturize, even if your skin is oily. On the bright side, oily skin now helps prevent wrinkles later :yahoo:

TGB

I'm 35 and going through a bout of acne. My skin has been oily for the past week. I know it's probably all hormone related. Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive remedies? I was my face every morning and night with this now...

I went through that a couple of years and I found applying pure shae butter(from the beauty store next to Kmart) and getting montly facials has helped me. The shae butter seems oily but the skin absorbs it all.

What everyone else said...plus don't start trying everything under the sun, overstimulating your skin can and likely will make it worst....and drink lots of water to help hydrate your skin.....annnnnd, though I hope this doesn't need to be said, make sure you're washing your sheets/pillowcases often :yay:

somdfunguy

not impressed
What everyone else said...plus don't start trying everything under the sun, overstimulating your skin can and likely will make it worst....and drink lots of water to help hydrate your skin.....annnnnd, though I hope this doesn't need to be said, make sure you're washing your sheets/pillowcases often :yay:
So you think it's a spider issue?

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Try an oatmeal mask once a week to exfoliate. I grind the oats in my mini-processor and then pour a bit in the palm of my hand and mix with warm water. Slather on my face and scrub, then leave it to dry. Rinse with lukewarm water and my face feels good.

Another one is Black African Soap. I have a huge hunk left if you want some.

Oil of Olay was my moisturizer for many years. I switched back to Neutrogena and my tiny (annoying) bumps have gone away.

doubtfull24

Have you changed your conditioner? I am currently having a few break outs and I keep wondering if it is my new conditioner it is the only thing different that I am doing :( I tried the clinique 3 step system and really like it but it is also to expensive. I also have very sensitive skin so I have been using the simple brand face wash and toner and make-up remover wipes and love all of them they are perfume and other irritant free. I also questioned if it was from touching stuff at the gym then wiping my face when I sweat. So I have tried to stop doing that.

sockgirl77

Have you changed your conditioner? I am currently having a few break outs and I keep wondering if it is my new conditioner it is the only thing different that I am doing :( I tried the clinique 3 step system and really like it but it is also to expensive. I also have very sensitive skin so I have been using the simple brand face wash and toner and make-up remover wipes and love all of them they are perfume and other irritant free. I also questioned if it was from touching stuff at the gym then wiping my face when I sweat. So I have tried to stop doing that.

Actually, I have. Now that I think about it, this all started the same time that I switched conditioners. This one is heavier than my normal one and I do not like it. My hair has become dull. I'll go back to my old one and see if that helps before I buy skin products.

doubtfull24

Actually, I have. Now that I think about it, this all started the same time that I switched conditioners. This one is heavier than my normal one and I do not like it. My hair has become dull. I'll go back to my old one and see if that helps before I buy skin products.

I think I am going to stop using my new conditioner as well. I do like it and only put it on the ends of my hair but my hair touches my face all day. I have been breaking out around my hair line and a few on my forehead. Hope you figure it out and get clear skin soon!