acoustic guitar...

I want to buy :gossip: an acoustic guitar. What's the best way to go about this? I've been on Amazon.com and have picked on based on "feedback", but I'm open to other reasonable suggestions. TIA

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
I want to buy :gossip: an acoustic guitar. What's the best way to go about this? I've been on Amazon.com and have picked on based on "feedback", but I'm open to other reasonable suggestions. TIA
Go to Wal-mart. :yay: You're welcome.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What...

...is budget? What is intended purpose?

...is budget? What is intended purpose?

It's a starter guitar so I don't want to break the bank, but quality is important. It doesn't make sense to me for someone to work hard at learning only to have the sound suck.

I'm looking at the Jasmine by Takamine S35 Acoustic Guitar, Natural on Amazon.com for $100.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I've...

It's a starter guitar so I don't want to break the bank, but quality is important. It doesn't make sense to me for someone to work hard at learning only to have the sound suck.

I'm looking at the Jasmine by Takamine S35 Acoustic Guitar, Natural on Amazon.com for $100.

...bought two from these guys, neither an acoustic, but there are darn good guitars, especially for as cheap as they were.

Rondo Music Acoustics

kelb

art imitating life

From what I have hear Takamine is a good guitar. Ill send mudd over here.. he knows whats good..

LordStanley

I know nothing

Go with the Tak. Even thier crappiest guitar is decent enough for a good sounding entry level instrument

tommyjones

i have the Takamine EG340SC, it has a big round sound and has the acoustic electric action too. personally i dont use the electric part and wasn't looking for it necessarily, but they made me a good deal on one with a tiny scratch.

anyway, i got it at hot licks in PF, they were fair.

id say its probably worth a trip up to a guitar center too. they have just about everything, although there wont be too much around 100 for under three they will have a bunch of options. Plus they are so big you dont feel like an idiot just picking one up and strumming it. It is kind of intimadating to pick out a gutiar when you are a beginner. anyway, you could probably play (or play with and watch other people play) a few that are close to what you are looking at.

M

mudd

Here are some good buys

Each is very affordable, and good quality.

Ibanez IJV50 Jumpstart Acoustic Package from zZounds.com!

Ibanez SGT120 Sage Series from zZounds.com!

Squier SA100 Acoustic Guitar Package from zZounds.com!

Yamaha CGS102 1/2 Size from zZounds.com!

Epiphone DR100 from zZounds.com!

Jasmine by Takamine S35 Dreadnought from zZounds.com!

Yamaha JR1 FG-Series 3/4-Size from zZounds.com!

I also suggest taking him to a guitar shop and seeing which kind of guitar he is comfortable with
fret size...jumbo or narrow
scale.......18frets all the way up to 24frets
body.......flat top box or curved back
single or double cutaway....
regular acoustic or acoustic/electric
If you have questions, any reasonable sales guy will be more than happy to assist you, I HIGHLY SUGGEST guitar center in Rockville. Those guys there will bend over backwards to help you.

Now should you decide to go a different rout like craigslist or a personal sale, be sure you look at the complete guitar, cracks ect.
But most important is the bridge....nut...and fretboard, but also pay close attention to the key's

the bridge (where the strings start on the body) should not be loose at all, it shouldnt wiggle. some bridges are "through body" which means the strings actually go through to the back of the guitar and lock in. (throughbody bridges usually have the most problembs because there is more tension on them)
a regular acoustic bridge will have what looks like push lugs th hold the strings to the bridge, make sure the lugs are not "mismatched" (off color from the rest) or that they are not cracked

the nut (last contact the strings have before the go to the head stock) is something alot of musicians like to mess with, they will put different gague strings on them and that usually means they had to "file down the nut" basicly look for alterations.

the fretboard is the last major thing to look at. aim the guitar at a light (kinda like shooting a gun) and look lengthways down the fretbaord. if there is any warpage no matter how small, it will be visibly noticable. if everything isnt parallel....walk away.

the keys (where the srting is wound)
should not be loose at all

and the last piece of advice...if you or he does not know how to play, then have whoever your buying from....either new or used...play the guitar. if you hear something that sounds like its rattling then stop him from playing and ask about that sound. more than likely (with a used guitar) that rattling came from 1 or possibly 2 frets that are "dead" meaning the fret it'self has come loose.

if you have anymore Q's...you know where my Pm'r is :lol:

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
Not sure of the brand.

Behringer is a company that copies exactly how the original manufacture produced. Behringer uses cheaper parts, reliability is somewhat good to bad along their entire product line. They are very inconsistent with the quality of work.
Everything is made in China.

kelb

art imitating life
Each is very affordable, and good quality.

Ibanez IJV50 Jumpstart Acoustic Package from zZounds.com!

Ibanez SGT120 Sage Series from zZounds.com!

Squier SA100 Acoustic Guitar Package from zZounds.com!

Yamaha CGS102 1/2 Size from zZounds.com!

Epiphone DR100 from zZounds.com!

Jasmine by Takamine S35 Dreadnought from zZounds.com!

Yamaha JR1 FG-Series 3/4-Size from zZounds.com!

I also suggest taking him to a guitar shop and seeing which kind of guitar he is comfortable with
fret size...jumbo or narrow
scale.......18frets all the way up to 24frets
body.......flat top box or curved back
single or double cutaway....
regular acoustic or acoustic/electric
If you have questions, any reasonable sales guy will be more than happy to assist you, I HIGHLY SUGGEST guitar center in Rockville. Those guys there will bend over backwards to help you.

Now should you decide to go a different rout like craigslist or a personal sale, be sure you look at the complete guitar, cracks ect.
But most important is the bridge....nut...and fretboard, but also pay close attention to the key's

the bridge (where the strings start on the body) should not be loose at all, it shouldnt wiggle. some bridges are "through body" which means the strings actually go through to the back of the guitar and lock in. (throughbody bridges usually have the most problembs because there is more tension on them)
a regular acoustic bridge will have what looks like push lugs th hold the strings to the bridge, make sure the lugs are not "mismatched" (off color from the rest) or that they are not cracked

the nut (last contact the strings have before the go to the head stock) is something alot of musicians like to mess with, they will put different gague strings on them and that usually means they had to "file down the nut" basicly look for alterations.

the fretboard is the last major thing to look at. aim the guitar at a light (kinda like shooting a gun) and look lengthways down the fretbaord. if there is any warpage no matter how small, it will be visibly noticable. if everything isnt parallel....walk away.

the keys (where the srting is wound)
should not be loose at all

and the last piece of advice...if you or he does not know how to play, then have whoever your buying from....either new or used...play the guitar. if you hear something that sounds like its rattling then stop him from playing and ask about that sound. more than likely (with a used guitar) that rattling came from 1 or possibly 2 frets that are "dead" meaning the fret it'self has come loose.

if you have anymore Q's...you know where my Pm'r is :lol:

Doesnt get much better then that! thank you!