Adopting from a Rescue question

DFSquare

OK, now I am NOT looking to stir up trouble. I have a serious question and I would prefer honest, non-judgemental, inflammatory responses.

Oh, and Country, don't get too excited, it's just research! :killingme

I have begun to research rescues and reading thru contracts and fine print. I understand most of these poor animals have come from abuse or neglect and the rescuses want to be as sure as humanly possible that they have forever homes (not sold to slaughter, BYB, back in the same conditions, etc). I totally agree. HOWEVER...at what point do you say ok the horse is yours forever?

Most, tho not all, of the rescues retain control of the horses for life, to include where it's kept and how far you can move. I could understand and agree to a 1 of joint ownership but gosh, once I can prove to you that I love this horse and take care, why can't I go about my life with this new addition? :confused:

My understanding from a couple groups (no names will be posted) is that if I move farther than 4 hours from them, I must give them back the horse. Others require I notify them if I want to change vets or farriers.

My family is spread all over the US. If something happens to either of our parents and we need to move to care for them (ok, I'd rather move them here, but you never know) I wouldn't want to give up my beloved animals. Goodness, we jumped thru all kinds of hoops so we could take our dog to Germany, I'm not going to "dump" a horse because I move to another state.

I'm guessing this may be due in part to people who can "hold out" for a year of good behavior and then go bad. But really, if I put a year into this horse, am I really going to then start abusing it or sell at auction? Maybe there are people out there who would and I'm just too nieve to realize it? :shrug:

Now for those that want to tell me: if you can't abide by the terms look elsewhere, well that's a no brainer and not at all helpful to educating me and others like me with similar questions.

So someone involved with a rescue organization please help me understand the thoughts and motives behind this.

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

CountryLady

luvmyponies
OK, now I am NOT looking to stir up trouble. I have a serious question and I would prefer honest, non-judgemental, inflammatory responses.

Oh, and Country, don't get too excited, it's just research! :killingme

I have begun to research rescues and reading thru contracts and fine print. I understand most of these poor animals have come from abuse or neglect and the rescuses want to be as sure as humanly possible that they have forever homes (not sold to slaughter, BYB, back in the same conditions, etc). I totally agree. HOWEVER...at what point do you say ok the horse is yours forever?

Most, tho not all, of the rescues retain control of the horses for life, to include where it's kept and how far you can move. I could understand and agree to a 1 of joint ownership but gosh, once I can prove to you that I love this horse and take care, why can't I go about my life with this new addition? :confused:

My understanding from a couple groups (no names will be posted) is that if I move farther than 4 hours from them, I must give them back the horse. Others require I notify them if I want to change vets or farriers.

My family is spread all over the US. If something happens to either of our parents and we need to move to care for them (ok, I'd rather move them here, but you never know) I wouldn't want to give up my beloved animals. Goodness, we jumped thru all kinds of hoops so we could take our dog to Germany, I'm not going to "dump" a horse because I move to another state.

I'm guessing this may be due in part to people who can "hold out" for a year of good behavior and then go bad. But really, if I put a year into this horse, am I really going to then start abusing it or sell at auction? Maybe there are people out there who would and I'm just too nieve to realize it? :shrug:

Now for those that want to tell me: if you can't abide by the terms look elsewhere, well that's a no brainer and not at all helpful to educating me and others like me with similar questions.

So someone involved with a rescue organization please help me understand the thoughts and motives behind this.

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

:huggy:

Well, I have asked the same question.

I think you should be able to provide refrences and maybe they could link up with other organizations across the country to check in on you and sign off on the new living situations.

It is only one of the many small battles that need to be fought. I know exactly which one you speak of though. Just not sure what they are going to do when the economy hits rock bottom to only place the animals within a 4 hour drive.

Seems sinful, cause if they have to take the animal back and they can't afford to keep it and are unable to place it. DO they put it down? hmm. SEEMS A PITY! Something wasn't thought through on that decision. There has to be a way. After all the animal is being placed in its FOREVER HOME, Right?

I guess they are trying to avoid it being turned in in another state as unwanted. But they should unite the recuses country wide and have acceptable affiliates. OR SOMETHING!!:whistle:

:patriot:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:offtopic: but I don't understand why anyone "adopts" from a "rescue" in the first place. If you look in our classifieds, there are a bunch of dogs and cats who are free to a good home because the owner has to get rid of them them for one reason or another. Occasionally we even get a free horse in there.

People think they're doing a good deed when they hit the shelter or rescue, but there are tons of pets out there who need homes, and you won't have to go through some arduous screening process in order to take the animal home and have it become part of your family.

Sorry, "rescue" people, but you're screwing many animals out of a loving family by your desire to make sure not one single animal EVER goes out to an inappropriate home.

Cowgirl

I'm sorry, but I would never adopt from a group who tried to tell me where I can/can't move. That's just total BS.

And Vrai, there's lots of reasons. :shrug: You never know what kind of shape an animal will be in if Joe Blow is trying to get rid of it. At least with rescued animals they're up to date on vaccines, have been spayed/neutered (or they'll refund part of your money when you get it spayed/neutered), they have some sort of idea how the animal responds to other animals/kids/people.

DFSquare

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these concerns. I know we have a lot of horses that need new homes due to the economy and other reasons (another thread entirely) so when we are ready, I'd like to be part of rehoming or adopting suitable rescues.

I have a way to go yet. I will need to line up housing for our new family members first since I think the neighbors would frown on horses in the backyard. I've thought about telling them we just got really big doggies, but I don't think they'd buy that. Silly HOA rules! :whistle:

Then I'll need to learn about different vets and farriers in the area so we're ready for those first visits. Not to mention feed and supplements. Gosh, then I'll need tack because I certainly am NOT Stacy Westfall. :killingme:

Good heavens but this new business better get off the ground quick and bring in some money if I want to do this before I'm 50!

IntegritysDream

See my question is, since i now own a rescue, that i paid almost 1000$ just to ADOPT (which means in my eyes i bascially bought that horse) and say i end up having this horse for 10 years or more, and ive trained him, shown him... whatever else i may do or what not with him, but the time comes where he is an amazingly happy and sound school master and i wanted to sell him to some very nice family that wanted a reliable fun mount, and get some of the money i put into him, back in return...

i think that i should have the right to that... even if the adoption agency checked the newer home out before i "sold" him... but most contracts say you have to GIVE them back to the rescue, no matter how long youve had them, and then your left with many great memories, but nothing for all the training you did, tack you bought, or any other money related things or anything, when most likely the rescue will turn around and jack up the adoption fees for the next owner that comes along and wants them.... i just dont get that...

I am all for the adoptions and rescues and everything, i just dont understand like when you draw the line between offically yours with all the rights of owning a horse, to yeah you paid 1000$ for him but you dont have any rights other then hes yours to ride show and love... especially if you adopt a young horse that you end up completely training and the whole thing. I think its a good rule just to make sure the horses stay away from situations in which they were in when they came to the rescue, but i think its very fuzzy as to where the line can be drawn.

Im not saying i will ever sell my rescue cause he is amazing and has a lot of potiental ahead for him, but im just saying... if i ever did decide to sell him years later when maybe i cant afford him or want a new baby to train or who knows where life will go... or what if the rescue goes out of business? then what. hah.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
And Vrai, there's lots of reasons. :shrug: You never know what kind of shape an animal will be in if Joe Blow is trying to get rid of it. At least with rescued animals they're up to date on vaccines, have been spayed/neutered (or they'll refund part of your money when you get it spayed/neutered), they have some sort of idea how the animal responds to other animals/kids/people.

Yeah, kinda' like the cat that gurl adopted. Profile sez "shy, but will warm up to you and become a snuggle bug". NOT. The cat had never been socialized, and I suspect she was feral at one time. Oh, sure...she was up to date on her vaccines, had been fixed and chipped, but she wasn't a "pet".

fredsaid2

I'd say the policies the rescues have in place are a 'lesson learned'. Someone somewhere did what the policy is now in place to prevent. It's a little like you paying for another's mistake. If you truly find a rescue you want and in a year or so find yourself having to move don't you think the organization would work with you to ensure the horse remained with you? It’s in their best interests for the horse to stay in a good home, not to have it returned. 1k is certainly a lot of money but can't cover the costs of rehabbing, vetting, farrier, ect, to get the horse ready for adoption. I don't see rescues in a money making position.

Talk frankly w/ the org that interests you, tell them your concerns, see what they may be willing to do for you.