Adopting from a Rescue question

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I'd say the policies the rescues have in place are a 'lesson learned'. Someone somewhere did what the policy is now in place to prevent. It's a little like you paying for another's mistake. If you truly find a rescue you want and in a year or so find yourself having to move don't you think the organization would work with you to ensure the horse remained with you? It’s in their best interests for the horse to stay in a good home, not to have it returned. 1k is certainly a lot of money but can't cover the costs of rehabbing, vetting, farrier, ect, to get the horse ready for adoption. I don't see rescues in a money making position.

Talk frankly w/ the org that interests you, tell them your concerns, see what they may be willing to do for you.

Seems like good advice.

DFSquare

If you are considering "freebies", I know of two TB mares that need homes!

Would love to, but need some place to keep them. My yard is just too small. :killingme Just starting all the research so I know what I'm looking at for the future. As we all know, it's the month to month that is expensive.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Just starting all the research so I know what I'm looking at for the future.

This is a good book to look at if you get a chance:

Give a Horse a Second Chance: Adopting and Caring for Rescue Horses
By Author: J.R.Wise

Book overview
Every year hundreds of thousands of people adopt feral mustangs and other untrained horses as well as rescue previously abused animals. Give a Horse a Second Chance helps the reader decide which "gift horses" are within their ability to help and then describes how to go about giving the animal a happy, healthy, and useful environment and life.
The author, a longtime expert dealing with rescue horses, offers practical and sympathetic information on such subjects as:
- Why adopt a horse?: the pros and cons of adoption
- Adoption process: where to look and how to adopt
- Choosing a horse: breeds and types, conformation, age, temperament
- Homecoming: introducing the horse to its new home
- Veterinary considerations: including conformation and soundness issues
- Caring for an equine senior citizen: care and exercise for the older animal
- Training: replacing bad habits with good ones
- Selling or donating the horse: if you can no longer look after the animal
With an appendix by natural horsemanship trainer Dan Bowman and a list of equine adoption agencies, Give a Horse a Second Chance is a comprehensive and compassionate guide to this timely subject.

SEARCH it on amazon....they have the book anywhere from $6-$20.

Last edited:

MorganLover

I adopted from horsenet horse rescue and have had my horse for 4 years now. I think they want to make sure whom ever is adopting the horse is willing to go through the hoops to keep the animal. I have not had any troubles with my rescue. i believe as long as you contact them regarding your move and you have shown you have cared for the horse through the years they will not keep you from moving or doing what you will. i think the main things they hold too are breeding the adopted horse, and re-selling or re-homing the horse. I love the fact that i adopted my mare b/c if something should happen to me, or i cannot care for her any longer she can return to the rescue i got her from, and that makes me happy b/c i know she'll be cared for until she finds a new home and i don't have to worry my family with placing her. i adopted her for 400.00. Now she is 1/2 blind and she is 34 years old now (i adopted her and the papers said 28) but this horse is the best horse i have ever known. I do feel it is wrong for a rescue to put the types adoption fees on horses that they do, 1,000 dollars for a horse that you are taking off their hands is way to much. i understand the feed, vet, farrier, hay what ever else cost money but all those things are a tax write off for those places so why the high prices. i'd never spend that, when i found my dream horse for 400.00..... JMO of coarse.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Horsenet

I adopted from horsenet horse rescue and have had my horse for 4 years now. I think they want to make sure whom ever is adopting the horse is willing to go through the hoops to keep the animal. I have not had any troubles with my rescue. i believe as long as you contact them regarding your move and you have shown you have cared for the horse through the years they will not keep you from moving or doing what you will. i think the main things they hold too are breeding the adopted horse, and re-selling or re-homing the horse. I love the fact that i adopted my mare b/c if something should happen to me, or i cannot care for her any longer she can return to the rescue i got her from, and that makes me happy b/c i know she'll be cared for until she finds a new home and i don't have to worry my family with placing her. i adopted her for 400.00. Now she is 1/2 blind and she is 34 years old now (i adopted her and the papers said 28) but this horse is the best horse i have ever known. I do feel it is wrong for a rescue to put the types adoption fees on horses that they do, 1,000 dollars for a horse that you are taking off their hands is way to much. i understand the feed, vet, farrier, hay what ever else cost money but all those things are a tax write off for those places so why the high prices. i'd never spend that, when i found my dream horse for 400.00..... JMO of coarse.

I hear a lot of GOOD things about horsenet.
But one of their policies is:
ADOPTION AREA: Maryland residents or those that reside within 2.5 hours our Mt Airy Farm. No exceptions made to this policy.

While that policy is understandable (to be within reasonable driving distance for checkups), it is very limiting. I would think that in today’s economy they would have volunteers annexed in other areas of MD to allow a better spread of adoption possibilities. Maybe that is something that they will work on in the near future.

devinej

lost and found horse rescue in york, pa doesn't have as much stipulation on where you live. they have quite a few horses there (more than on their website, different than on their website) and seem to always be getting new ones especially from the new holland auction. lots of tbs, qhs, and others.