Affliction MMA is going down the drain

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Affliction MMA show canceled after Barnett's ban
(AP) – 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES — A major mixed martial arts show scheduled for Aug. 1 in Anaheim has been canceled because a suitable replacement could not be found for Josh Barnett.

Barnett tested positive for steroids last month. He had been set to fight Fedor Emelianenko, a Russian heavyweight often considered the world's top mixed martial artist.

This was to have been the main event of "Affliction: Trilogy" at the Honda Center. Affliction is a fledgling promotional company with just two major shows on its resume and didn't have enough time to find an appropriate opponent.

Barnett was denied a license by the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday after failing his drug test last month
Maybe this will force Fedor to the UFC that would be nice to see.

Mayhem

Can I be your super hero?
looks like they are trying to make a deal for the fighters in the ufc to begin wearing it's shirts again...

it's was only a matter of time before affliction folded, and I don't care what anyone says Fedor is irrelevant in America currently...

Mojo

looks like they are trying to make a deal for the fighters in the ufc to begin wearing it's shirts again...

it's was only a matter of time before affliction folded, and I don't care what anyone says Fedor is irrelevant in America currently...

Definitely not irrelevant, he's just not as well known as the UFC fighters. I bet Dana White is laughing all the way to the bank. Fedor should have made a deal with him when he had the upper hand, now Dana's got all the cards.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Definitely not irrelevant, he's just not as well known as the UFC fighters. I bet Dana White is laughing all the way to the bank. Fedor should have made a deal with him when he had the upper hand, now Dana's got all the cards.

Not so. Fedor doesn't seem to be much bothered what Dana White thinks and there isn't a one of us fans who doesn't know Dana plays total hardball with fighters, especially after his fall out with Randy.

Dana is banking on Fedor getting older forcing him into the cage on Dana's terms instead of making a top offer for the top fighter in the sport.

Mojo

Not so. Fedor doesn't seem to be much bothered what Dana White thinks and there isn't a one of us fans who doesn't know Dana plays total hardball with fighters, especially after his fall out with Randy.

Dana is banking on Fedor getting older forcing him into the cage on Dana's terms instead of making a top offer for the top fighter in the sport.

True, but what I'm saying is that now Dana can force him into the UFC on his terms because Affliction is bankrupt.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
True, but what I'm saying is that now Dana can force him into the UFC on his terms because Affliction is bankrupt.

And what I am saying is Fedor doesn't really seem to give a damn. He just seems to be ego-less about all this.

Mayhem

your looking through the eyes of a "hardcore mma fan" Mass media and general public don't know who Fedor even is... Fans who already know him will watch him, which is who watches anyway, he won't be bringing new eyes to mma. So far he hasn't fought anyone decent in Affliction to gain recognition though they tried and he pretty much was the cause of affliction's final collapse. Of course Josh Barnett the number two heavy weight didn't help much.

UfC has nothing to gain from signing Fedor, only the hardcore mma fan and Fedor might gain something. Also an extreme possibility that Fedor couldn't beat Brock Lesnar and then Fedor has no where else to go. So still unlikely that UFC can sign him to a deal...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
your looking through the eyes of a "hardcore mma fan" Mass media and general public don't know who Fedor even is... Fans who already know him will watch him, which is who watches anyway, he won't be bringing new eyes to mma. So far he hasn't fought anyone decent in Affliction to gain recognition though they tried and he pretty much was the cause of affliction's final collapse. Of course Josh Barnett the number two heavy weight didn't help much.

UfC has nothing to gain from signing Fedor, only the hardcore mma fan and Fedor might gain something. Also an extreme possibility that Fedor couldn't beat Brock Lesnar and then Fedor has no where else to go. So still unlikely that UFC can sign him to a deal...

You have got to be kidding? Right now, the #1 fight possible in MMA is Brock/Fedor. Even the most cursory ad campaign would have the righting sports world on hold until it happened not to mention a huge part of the sports world in general.

As for Fedor actually losing, didn't seem to hurt Randy or Rampage or Chuck or GSP or anyone else. Fact of life; people lose in MMA.

Except for Fedor.

Mayhem

I doubt UFC would just make the super fight of Brock and Fedor. Fedor has been a thorn for UFC and would have to work his way up. UfC would need Fedor to be more reconized by the casual fan first. Fedor won't be forced into the UFC, Fedor doesn't need the UFC he can just as easily go back overseas...

UFC does not gain anything new other then what they already have with signing Fedor...

Mojo

And what I am saying is Fedor doesn't really seem to give a damn. He just seems to be ego-less about all this.

I guess time will tell, but I'm willing to bet that Dana is going to get him to sign a contract.

I doubt UFC would just make the super fight of Brock and Fedor. Fedor has been a thorn for UFC and would have to work his way up. UfC would need Fedor to be more reconized by the casual fan first. Fedor won't be forced into the UFC, Fedor doesn't need the UFC he can just as easily go back overseas...

UFC does not gain anything new other then what they already have with signing Fedor...

I can almost guarantee that a fight between Lesnar and Fedor would probably bring more people than UFC 100 did.

thurley42

HY;FR

dude.....seriously....if it were to happen today Fedor would beat Brock like he owed him money...

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
fedor shmador

I would really love to see fedor come to the UFC... I dont think he is the best in the world.. i think he could be... Before anyone gets all upset let me explain.. I just think the most talented fighters in the world end up in the UFC you follow the money... Its the big show... So until he comes to the big show and wins the title in my mind your not the best heavy weight.. Its all speculation... You could have all the talent in the world but until he wins and keeps the UFC heavy weight belt i will not consider him the best..

:howdy:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would really love to see fedor come to the UFC... I dont think he is the best in the world.. i think he could be... Before anyone gets all upset let me explain.. I just think the most talented fighters in the world end up in the UFC you follow the money... Its the big show... So until he comes to the big show and wins the title in my mind your not the best heavy weight.. Its all speculation... You could have all the talent in the world but until he wins and keeps the UFC heavy weight belt i will not consider him the best..

:howdy:

Hey, no argument here; to be the man you gotta beat the man, end of story.
The UFC is the top of the heap and Fedor isn't on the heap.

That said...

thurley42

HY;FR
Hey, no argument here; to be the man you gotta beat the man, end of story.
The UFC is the top of the heap and Fedor isn't on the heap.

That said...

Fedor tore through Arlovski and Sylvia both in the first round....Sylvia's previous fight was for the Interim Heavyweight Championship in the UFC..he went down in 36 seconds.....Arlovski had a 10-4 record in the UFC and gave Jake O'Brien his first loss....He's also taken out Noguiera (former Heavyweight Interim Champ), Mark Coleman (UFC HOF), and HEath Herring (UFC Heavyweight)

He went 16-0 in Pride and was with them until the end....Hendo, Rampage, Wandy and tons of other top notch UFC fighters made the jump from Pride...

Contrary to this post, I am not a big fan of the guy....I respect him as a fighter but do question his real reasoning behind not coming over.....I think he needs to come over soon while he's still in his prime...plus I want to see him destroy the classless trash that is Lesnar. Dana has promised us a Fedor/Lesnar fight someday....hopefully it will be sooner than later...especially with Affliction going under, and word is Strikeforce is right behind it....that leaves UFC and M-1 as the "tier 1" organizations..and M-1 is supposedly more controlling of their fighters than Dana is..

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Contrary to this post, I am not a big fan of the guy....I respect him as a fighter but do question his real reasoning behind not coming over.....I think he needs to come over soon while he's still in his prime...plus I want to see him destroy the classless trash that is Lesnar. Dana has promised us a Fedor/Lesnar fight someday....hopefully it will be sooner than later...especially with Affliction going under, and word is Strikeforce is right behind it....that leaves UFC and M-1 as the "tier 1" organizations..and M-1 is supposedly more controlling of their fighters than Dana is..

In my view, Fedor could not care less about proving anything to anyone. I assume he's got all the money he wants and he doesn't seem to have a desire to live like a king in the US. He's always struck me as one of those guys who doesn't necessarily like or dislike fighting. It's just something he has always been very good at, so, it's a living.

There is a reserve, a spartan quality he exudes, a self confidence that has zero interest in what anyone thinks or has to say; his record speaks entirely for itself and if no one likes it, they are entitled to their opinions and he's OK with that and he's not gonna play some sort of showman peacock role for anyone.

thurley42

HY;FR
In my view, Fedor could not care less about proving anything to anyone. I assume he's got all the money he wants and he doesn't seem to have a desire to live like a king in the US. He's always struck me as one of those guys who doesn't necessarily like or dislike fighting. It's just something he has always been very good at, so, it's a living.

There is a reserve, a spartan quality he exudes, a self confidence that has zero interest in what anyone thinks or has to say; his record speaks entirely for itself and if no one likes it, they are entitled to their opinions and he's OK with that and he's not gonna play some sort of showman peacock role for anyone.

Is it bad that I don't think there is such a thing as all the money I want?:killingme

Mojo

........maybe not but you would think he would want to prove to himself that he's the best. If I thought I was the best in the world at something and someone else stepped up claiming to be the best in the world, I would want to challenge that person, if for nothing else just to prove to myself that I was the best.