African Black Soap

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Has anybody tried this? My daughter gave me a "chunk" for Christmas. I thought it was fruitcake. I hate fruitcake. :lol:

http://africanblacksoapworld.com/

I used the soap today. I am sold on it and she will have to bring pounds back with her next week when she visits.

It lathers easily and rinses off clean. I'm going to wash my hair with it tomorrow.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Black soap is often referred to by a variety of names. One of the most common is Ose Dudu; ose meaning soap and dudu black.

That's about what it looks like..:killingme

Never heard of it..interesting

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Black soap is often referred to by a variety of names. One of the most common is Ose Dudu; ose meaning soap and dudu black.

That's about what it looks like..:killingme

Never heard of it..interesting

It's hideous yet funny...if soap could ever be called such a thing. :killingme

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I've used Aruvedic soap from India, it's green and smells funny but it cleans up nice too! is the black soap made from only plant oils?

never mind - looked it up. No wonder it cleans up nice - no chemicals.

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
What is confusing to me is it says it is free of lye..but uses ashes and water..which I was under the impression was how you got lye..through ashes...

TGB

Has anybody tried this? My daughter gave me a "chunk" for Christmas. I thought it was fruitcake. I hate fruitcake. :lol:

http://africanblacksoapworld.com/

I used the soap today. I am sold on it and she will have to bring pounds back with her next week when she visits.

It lathers easily and rinses off clean. I'm going to wash my hair with it tomorrow.

Thats all I use because I have extremely dry skin.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
What is confusing to me is it says it is free of lye..but uses ashes and water..which I was under the impression was how you got lye..through ashes...

Good question. Maybe because hardwood isn't used it's not as caustic as commercial lye?

Where did she get it from??

Linkie

I emailed my daughter to see if the boutique in Manhattan she bought it from has a website. The original link says Target carries it and even Walmart (but a slightly different version)

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

True, but lye is made from the ashes of burning "hard wood" (hickory, maple) not bark and leaves or soft wood. You have to understand the difference in material used causing different results.

The link says the African Black Soap is made from the ashes of banana leaves, banana (plaintain) skins, palm tree leaves, bark and cocoa pods. That's not lye.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
True, but lye is made from the ashes of burning "hard wood" (hickory, maple) not bark and leaves or soft wood. You have to understand the difference in material used causing different results.

The link says the African Black Soap is made from the ashes of banana leaves, banana (plaintain) skins, palm tree leaves, bark and cocoa pods. That's not lye.

From a book on making biodiesel...

"Dried palm branches, dried out banana peels, cocoa pods, kapok tree wood, oak wood, (or for really white soap, apple tree wood) make the best lye ashes."

Wenchy

Hot Flash
From a book on making biodiesel...

"Dried palm branches, dried out banana peels, cocoa pods, kapok tree wood, oak wood, (or for really white soap, apple tree wood) make the best lye ashes."

What are you doing in The Ladies Room?

Since you are here. Is the lye (or semi-lye) made using these methods less caustic or is it the same as what is made from hardwoods?

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
What are you doing in The Ladies Room?

Since you are here. Is the lye (or semi-lye) made using these methods less caustic or is it the same as what is made from hardwoods?

Come on... "African black soap" in the ladies only forum? I just HAD to read this one! :lmao:

I only helped with a couple batches of biodiesel. We did have to boil one batch of ash water (for lack of a better term) a little longer to get it to the right pH. But from what I remember there wasnt any difference in the end product. It was all pretty nasty stuff :shrug: