African Gray

Roman

I am sorry I can really feel your pain! :lol: Tums? No I haven't heard about that. Is that for calcium?
I never heard of that either. But I have heard that if you give them to Sea Gulls, the gut explodes. Not sure if that's true.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
I have had mine for about 26/27 years now. Got him when he only had pin feathers and couldn't even perch. Had to hand feed him w/a syringe which is probably why he bonded to me so closely.

I love him to death and he is hilarious, when you are having a bad day they can cheer you up. He can bark in over 100 different languages (thanks to all the foster dogs over the years...)!

Mine has also proven that they can and will put sentences together. When we moved in with my sister for a few years, we were introducing him to all the other animals, this is Sweetpea she's a cat, Rhett this is Rock, Rock's a fish.... A couple of days later this bird was now a bad bad bird fish... We were in the kitchen one night and we hear Rhett - Hey Rock - You're a fish!

We had NEVER said that and the only thing we can think of is maybe we had a talking fish too!

Grays are very resilient birds, I have moved multiple times, across town and across country, he has always adjusted within a day or two. He has landed between 2 Rottweilers on the floor, another time one Rottweiler had his head in his mouth going for a grape (that one scared me).

I have been told that I have a "loud" Gray, he amplifies everything times 10... the microwave, the truck backing up, the zipper on my bag, my snotty nose during a bad cold.... (took me awhile to figure out what those last 2 noises were).

Even if you can never handle him, once he becomes comfortable in your home and around you all you will enjoy him immensely.

By the way, mine HATES the shower and the squirt bottle, but he loves to bath in his water dish or a big water bowl when I put it on the grate.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I have had mine for about 26/27 years now. Got him when he only had pin feathers and couldn't even perch. Had to hand feed him w/a syringe which is probably why he bonded to me so closely.

I love him to death and he is hilarious, when you are having a bad day they can cheer you up. He can bark in over 100 different languages (thanks to all the foster dogs over the years...)!

Mine has also proven that they can and will put sentences together. When we moved in with my sister for a few years, we were introducing him to all the other animals, this is Sweetpea she's a cat, Rhett this is Rock, Rock's a fish.... A couple of days later this bird was now a bad bad bird fish... We were in the kitchen one night and we hear Rhett - Hey Rock - You're a fish!

We had NEVER said that and the only thing we can think of is maybe we had a talking fish too!

Grays are very resilient birds, I have moved multiple times, across town and across country, he has always adjusted within a day or two. He has landed between 2 Rottweilers on the floor, another time one Rottweiler had his head in his mouth going for a grape (that one scared me).

I have been told that I have a "loud" Gray, he amplifies everything times 10... the microwave, the truck backing up, the zipper on my bag, my snotty nose during a bad cold.... (took me awhile to figure out what those last 2 noises were).

Even if you can never handle him, once he becomes comfortable in your home and around you all you will enjoy him immensely.

By the way, mine HATES the shower and the squirt bottle, but he loves to bath in his water dish or a big water bowl when I put it on the grate.

I think you should make room for Elle, Q's biatch of a bird.:buddies:

acommondisaster

We had a yellow crowned Amazon, Malia, for a few years - until some jackarse who insisted that the bird had to become his friend (despite our repeated protests) scared her out the door by rushing towards her. (She really disliked him) Our mistake for not keeping her wings clipped as welll as we should have, but when it was just the two of us around she was very well behaved. It is very true that they are particular about the people they like and dislike.

She would bark with the dogs (not a good habit to teach a parrot unless you like barking dogs), would imitate the rinse cycle on the dishwasher and loved to say hello. She'd fly down off her perch and head straight for the mashed potatoes anytime she saw them on the table.

She was completely untrained when we got her. I'd use a dowel to get her off her perch and I'd sit with her in the bathroom, with a man's sock on my arm to lessen the scratches and bites. We'd practice getting off and on my arm. It took weeks, but she became friendly, loved a scratch under her chin and a long stroke from head to tail.

Parrots are wonderful companions, but when you take one on you have to know it's the start of a lifelong friendship; as they do form attachments that last 20 plus years. They're definitely not a pet to get on a whim. African greys are particularly smart (and loud). I hope you love him for a very long time. :)

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
We had a yellow crowned Amazon, Malia, for a few years - until some jackarse who insisted that the bird had to become his friend (despite our repeated protests) scared her out the door by rushing towards her. (She really disliked him) Our mistake for not keeping her wings clipped as welll as we should have, but when it was just the two of us around she was very well behaved.

Yep, I'll have Rhett a long time, good thing he makes me laugh!

Rhett makes it very clear to people, you get close to him and he WILL BITE. He used to let my sister carry him so long as she was taking him to wherever I was but once he saw me, he would bite her.

She always said "don't bite me"..... Grays are too smart... one of her most disliked sayings was "bite me".... and that's what Rhett would always tell her when she got close to the cage!

My other sister lost a small parrot, had it outside one day and it decided to stretch it's wings, got caught on a wind current and never came back.