Aldi...any idea for a re-open date?

Hessian

Its ugly shopping in the Non-Aldi World.
Who has a sense as to when we can get cheap cereal & German chocolate again?

PJay

Received announcement an Aldi is opening my location so just trying to learn what all the fuss is about. Sounding more and more like a place want to stay away from. Use to leaving my cart in parking lot.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I don't use a cart, too big and more trouble than it's worth. I just use an insulated shopping bag, that's generally as much as I need in any single visit.

PJay

You don't really pay for a cart, it's 25 cents to 'rent' it for the duration. When you return the cart, you get the quarter back. As was suggested, probably to keep the carts from winding up in the road and they don't need to pay an attendant to round them up.

Looked up how to shop at Aldi.. now I understand.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I had been in Aldi's a couple times before and purchased a few things. Went yesterday and was shocked at the prices!

Bought two bunches of asparagus, a pineapple, bananas, two containers of black bean salad, spinach, strawberries, organic coconut chunks and a bag of pumpkin seeds.

Total: $20.96. The same items at Weis or Giant would probably be $40... It is worth driving over the bridge for!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I love shopping at Aldi, and they've done a nice job with the California, MD remodel. I only wish they had gone a little larger.

The prices are decent, the quality of the products are good, and I like that I can get out of there pretty quickly. Admittedly, they don't have a tremendous offering of products, i.e., you have a selection of two or three varieties of applies, not seven or eight like you'd find at Harris Teeter of Giant. Aldi has a bare-bones product offering, but for what I want in a grocery store, it fits our family really nicely for a decent price. While I love Harris Teeter and Giant, their prices are rough on my wallet. :nomoney:

I make lunches for me, Bob and Boy every day, and Aldi has a great selection of cheeses, pre-packaged deli meats, and tons of snacks to chose from. Their dried fruits and nuts are great! Aldi nuts! :biggrin:

The best part for me is their Aldi Finds aisle, or the Aldi Aisle of Shame: all kinds of oddball stuff that you didn't realize you needed, such as a plastic straw patio rug, rain boots, picnic ware, and other things that they change out every week. Check out their flier to see what they have in their AOS, and you'll be surprised at what you have to run out to buy. It's my guilty pleasure.

PeoplesElbow

You don't really pay for a cart, it's 25 cents to 'rent' it for the duration. When you return the cart, you get the quarter back. As was suggested, probably to keep the carts from winding up in the road and they don't need to pay an attendant to round them up.
That's exactly it.

Where I go in NJ for work every grocery store there has the quarter deposit thing on their carts, even Walmart.

wubbles

The best part for me is their Aldi Finds aisle, or the Aldi Aisle of Shame: all kinds of oddball stuff that you didn't realize you needed, such as a plastic straw patio rug, rain boots, picnic ware, and other things that they change out every week.
A few years ago I saw they had chainsaws and other various power tools for a week.