allergies

tazzman

My 16 year old daughter is having a terrible time with her allergies. We have already done most of the prescription drugs, acupuncture, allergy shots. Any suggestions what to do next?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My 16 year old daughter is having a terrible time with her allergies. We have already done most of the prescription drugs, acupuncture, allergy shots. Any suggestions what to do next?

Minimize her exposure to known allergens. Clean often and well. Use natural products - no harmful chemicals that could trigger her sinuses. Also, make sure she takes vitamins. I notice that when I drink a lot of orange juice and take a daily vitamin, my body fights off cooties better. :yay:

J

jp2854

I take zyrtec and that seems to help. I have both indoor and outdoor allergies. Another thing if you are used to having the windows open and the ac off during warm days you mise well scratch that off your list due to the pollen. I don't ever open my windows I run the ac instead that helps keep the pollen off the furniture in the house. I also dust frequently too.

tazzman

We have done the zytec and I never open the windows in her room and her room stays pretty much closed up. She went camping this weekend and was miserable by the time she got home yesterday. She is only 16, so I would like to find something to help her so she be a teenager and not have to deal with this constantly.

GoodnessME

We have done the zytec and I never open the windows in her room and her room stays pretty much closed up. She went camping this weekend and was miserable by the time she got home yesterday. She is only 16, so I would like to find something to help her so she be a teenager and not have to deal with this constantly.

Get some LOCAL honey...not the kind you buy at the grocery store. This has helped my grand daughter.

DEEKAYPEE8569

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm allergic to trees, grass and, of course pollen. I talked to my Dr. and he prescribes NASACORT nasal spray for the sinus problems and Allegra for the allergies. Together, they work great! But, I also stay inside in the A/C when I can.

Beta84

They're out to get us
what prescrip meds have been tried so far?

zyrtec, claritin D, benedryl, nasalcrom are some that i've tried...each worked briefly then stopped. Allegra seems to work the best from what I've seen. The OTC stuff of some of those products is weaker, so keep that in mind if you're going to shrug one off because you tried an OTC version. I've heard Singulair treats allergies differently than others, so that may be something to try. Nasal Sprays may be worth trying if only pills have been used thus far. Allergy shots may be worthwhile as well.

tazzman

what prescrip meds have been tried so far?

zyrtec, claritin D, benedryl, nasalcrom are some that i've tried...each worked briefly then stopped. Allegra seems to work the best from what I've seen. The OTC stuff of some of those products is weaker, so keep that in mind if you're going to shrug one off because you tried an OTC version. I've heard Singulair treats allergies differently than others, so that may be something to try. Nasal Sprays may be worth trying if only pills have been used thus far. Allergy shots may be worthwhile as well.

Yea, we have done all those in the past. Tried the shots but got to the point that everytime she got one, her throat would start to close up on her. that is why we tried the acupuncture. worked for a while.

T

toppick08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm allergic to trees, grass and, of course pollen. I talked to my Dr. and he prescribes NASACORT nasal spray for the sinus problems and Allegra for the allergies. Together, they work great! But, I also stay inside in the A/C when I can.

Damn dude........that has got to suck............man :huggy:

PantherWoman

MSM!!! I swear by it. I have terrible allergy that induces asthma like symptoms and the msm makes a huge difference.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Damn dude........that has got to suck............man :huggy:

It kinda does, really. My allergies have gotten worse as I get older.
I dont' remember if I mentioned it, but I was also advised to stay inside in the A/C in the summer. But when it's 100-something degrees and 90(+)% humididitty outside in the middle of Summer, the A/C's not that bad.
I prefer it.

Last edited:

KellyG

One, if you have not seen a Allergist I definately would recommend Dr. Simlote. That is who I take my 6 year old to and he has helped her tremendously!

Two, have the allergies got worse recently or ongoing? Do you live in a home with a crawlspace...or have you had your air-ducts cleaned in the last few years; any remoldeling in your home. These are very important questions and can give a great amount of relief if you do something about any and all of them. Dust, dander, dust mites, mold all of this is found in your air-ducts, crawlspaces, and they ALL cause allergies to get worse!

Good luck I hope this helps