American Heritage Riders

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Hi Y'all! American Heritage Riders is a parade group made up of southern Maryland riders who do about 6 to 10 parades a year. They are looking for new members to join in! The emphasis is on looking like a working 1800s cowboy, leather western saddles, leather trail bags, ropes, etc. Members should have fairly quiet horses but parade experience is not necessary. Members must abide by simple dress code and code of conduct. No one is expected to do all parades - whatever you are comfortable with is fine. We do local parades such as Veterans Day in Leonardtown and St Marys Fair but we also do parades in Winchester Va (Apple Blossom), Tappahannock Va, DC 4th of July, Tuckahoe Outlaw Days Parade etc.

If anyone is interested, or wants more info please email or pm me. It's a lot of fun and we have a really nice group of riders but need to expand out numbers!

ElliesMom

THat sounds really cool, I have everything but a roping rope! Do you have a website?? Are you doing any x mas parades?

epona

ElliesMom we would be happy to have you join us. We have a Christmas Parade this Saturday in Tappahannock Va. We usually meet at Burger King in Dalgren Va on 301 then go into Tappahannock where we tack up at the Elementary School and then on to Line up by 2:00 this is a very nice small parade. Our group has been doing parades for about 13 years. I have been a member for about 6 years, hubby 13 years. Other Members include Horselady and her family and an 81 year young husband and wife who drive their muleteam and chuckwagon. Most of our members live in St. Mary's and Charles County's. Our 1800's working cowboy or cowgirl dress code is fun! just use your imagination to come up with your own cowboy costume. The rope is not mandatory just looks good.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
We are having a board meeting this Thursday evening and I will let the board know about the parade Saturday and to contact you if they want more info.

epona

Hank said that he would like to get together with SMTR to find more riders that may be interested in parades. He said that he had talked to SMTR parade chairman about this but he never had the time to follow up. Maybe he could meet with them sometime soon.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Hank said that he would like to get together with SMTR to find more riders that may be interested in parades. He said that he had talked to SMTR parade chairman about this but he never had the time to follow up. Maybe he could meet with them sometime soon.

That would be a great idea. We asked Hank and Margaret to come to a board meeting and talk to the boardmembers about becoming involved with AHR but we was able to make it....We are having a board meeting this Thursday at 7. Y'all want to come out????

ElliesMom

I need to do advance scheduling w/ three kids and a workaholic hubby. This weekend is his drill weekend, I am already bailing on the x mas party to do the trail ride on the 9th. (Hubby WILL be ok w/ three kids in tow:evil:) If you have a schedule I would love one! And YES I am very interested in parades.

epona

I need to do advance scheduling w/ three kids and a workaholic hubby. This weekend is his drill weekend, I am already bailing on the x mas party to do the trail ride on the 9th. (Hubby WILL be ok w/ three kids in tow:evil:) If you have a schedule I would love one! And YES I am very interested in parades.

Horselady might have a schedule that she can email. If not I will try and get one tomorrow.

Scratch that Saturdays Christmas Parade will be our last for the year. New schedule will be be out probably the end of January because we have 2 parades in February, Presidents Day parade in Alexandria VA and St. Patricks Day Parade also in Alexandria. We will let everyone know dates and times for those. But anyone interested in the Christmas parade on Saturday can contact horselady.

Last edited by a moderator:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Hi Palomino! :howdy: The best part of Saturdays parade will be the stop at Lowrys (sp?) on the way home! I'll get the schedule for next year as soon as we get it from the mule man! We'll probably need to do a "practice" day to let the new riders and horses get accustomed to the mule team and wagon......

epona

Hi Palomino! :howdy: The best part of Saturdays parade will be the stop at Lowrys (sp?) on the way home! I'll get the schedule for next year as soon as we get it from the mule man! We'll probably need to do a "practice" day to let the new riders and horses get accustomed to the mule team and wagon......

a practice day is a great idea.

Hi Y'all! American Heritage Riders is a parade group made up of southern Maryland riders who do about 6 to 10 parades a year. They are looking for new members to join in!

It is a nice group however, they don't allow safety helmets. Is it possible to get that turned around this year?

ElliesMom

Personally I think safety helmets should be optional. I think adding that as a requireemnt may turn off some people. Risk is inherent when getting on a horse, just how much risk one person feels they are in dictates as to whether or not they wear a helmet. I own one, dont always wear it, only wear it when I feel is neccesary, or am told to by a horses owner.

I understand why they wouldnt with a 'dress code' though, but they do make western style safety helmets too.

mingiz

Horse Poor
If they want real cowboys and cowgirls, we don't wear turtle shells :whistle: Atleast I don't I would sign a release. :pete: I take my own life into my hands every time I mount up and have been for over 25 yrs so I'm not wearing a helmet. This is why I don't go on some rides....Like E said it should be an option for adults, not lil kids though unless the parent signs the release...JMO

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
It is a nice group however, they don't allow safety helmets. Is it possible to get that turned around this year?

This is part of the dress code for AHR:

Parade Dress
Western Hats - May be black, brown, tan, gray, white - felt or straw

Hat Bands - No fluorescent pinks, turquoise, bright yellow, flowers or feathers

Shirts - No fluorescent pinks, turquoise, bright yellow, large flowers or fringes (except buckskin.) Only long-sleeved shirts, with sleeves rolled down and the cuffs buttoned, will be worn in the parade

The spirit of our unit is to dress individually within the theme, "Old Western Cowboy/Cowgirl."

In the parade route 99.9% of our time is either at a standstill or a walk. We don't allow helmets in our dress code and I don't foresee that changing.