American Heritage Riders

In the parade route 99.9% of our time is either at a standstill or a walk. We don't allow helmets in our dress code and I don't foresee that changing.

I am well aware of the dress code as I was a member. Since I don't ride without a helmet either at a walk or a standstill, I am no longer a member. I think everyone should have the option of being able to wear a helmet or not (if an adult) and unfortunately AHRA does not even allow that option. It is a shame as it was a fun group. BTW, I wonder what the insurnace company who underwrites the liability policy would say if they found out that members were not allowed to ride with safety helmets?

Let me know if the dress code changes.

devinej

mistymare! How's Te??

i would think during parade would be the best (most likely to need one) time to wear a helmet...

mistymare! How's Te??

Hey Devine,

Te is doing well. Thanks for asking. He's huge!!! and doing well with the training I am attempting to do. Haven't done much lately (last week or so) but he is responding well to ground cues. He has such a willing spirit.

Been riding Prance and he's doing okay. I have been teaching him to yield to the bit and accept leg pressure. So much better now. Haven't taken him out of the pen yet (added panels and made it a decent size oval) but we are getting to know each other. Let me know if you wanna do some trail riding.

ElliesMom

Its not a hard compramise, for those that choose to wear a helmet.
There are western style safety helmets. So IF you really want to wear a helmet, you can without messing with the dress code.......

Cowboy Hard Hats, Western Hard Hats, Outlaw Hardhats from T.a.s.c.o.

So I dont really see where the issue is on this, other than personal preference.

Maybey this group is made up of a large contigingent on non litigatious folks. We understand that when we get up on our horse, no matter where we are, we ourselves are liable for our own safety no matter where and whose property we are on.

As stated before, riding in and of itself is inherently 'dangerous'.

epona

I am well aware of the dress code as I was a member. Since I don't ride without a helmet either at a walk or a standstill, I am no longer a member. I think everyone should have the option of being able to wear a helmet or not (if an adult) and unfortunately AHRA does not even allow that option. It is a shame as it was a fun group. BTW, I wonder what the insurnace company who underwrites the liability policy would say if they found out that members were not allowed to ride with safety helmets?

Let me know if the dress code changes.

Mistymare before making statements like that please ask the couple where you board your horse for info on our insurance policy if they don't have answers they know the person that holds that insurance policy. B & J have been in our parade group since it was formed. Remember this is a Parade group. If you watch televised parades you will see that not many western equestrian groups wear helmets (I don't remember seeing any wearing helmets).

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Have you ever seen one of the western hardhats IRL? OMG they make your head look so big:lmao:. I have on a couple of occaisions riden with a helmet and absolutely hate them. People have been riding horses since the beginning of time and I think there are more people who don't wear them vrs people that do. I feel they have there place...... in the english disipline. Could you imagine watching a cowboys/indians movie with them wearing helmets:lmao: Well the same with AHR dresscode.. If a rider is dressed "Old West" the helmet just would not fit.

fredsaid2

Its not a hard compramise, for those that choose to wear a helmet.
There are western style safety helmets. So IF you really want to wear a helmet, you can without messing with the dress code.......

Cowboy Hard Hats, Western Hard Hats, Outlaw Hardhats from T.a.s.c.o.

So I dont really see where the issue is on this, other than personal preference.

Maybey this group is made up of a large contigingent on non litigatious folks. We understand that when we get up on our horse, no matter where we are, we ourselves are liable for our own safety no matter where and whose property we are on.

As stated before, riding in and of itself is inherently 'dangerous'.

That's not a bad looking hardhat but it's not ASTM/SEI certified.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Those western hard hats are fugly.....I wouldn't be caught dead in one....Or any as far as that goes....:lmao:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Those western hard hats are fugly.....I wouldn't be caught dead in one....Or any as far as that goes....:lmao:

Talk about a big ole hat. I bought one for my son when he was about 10. As soon as he put it on I told him take if off and sent it back. It made his head double in size:lmao:

fredsaid2

In case my comment on the hardhat made me appear anti-helmet...I'm not. I am a firm advocate of certified helmets, "every ride - every time". But, I understand it's a personal choice in some venues though I hate to see a junior rider mounted w/o a helmet regardless of the situation.

Mistymare, maybe look into forming a more contemporary western riding unit for parades where helmets are allowed? Your group could attend right along w/ the established group. I bet you would be welcomed by them as a separate unit.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
At ANY show that has western riders, the majority of western riders wear hats. I don't go to many barrel shows but I think with the exception of youth hats are worn. That would include shows such as Mounted Wanderers, MSA, AQHA Congress, ect. I've seen dressage riders wear those top hats - I don't think they are ASE certified. I've also seen controversy where some of the higher rated jumpers and such don't wear ASE helmets because of the look. I believe all of those shows are insured. Just a thought!

ElliesMom

You kow what, personally as a horse person I dont really care if the group I am riding with has insurance or not. I may be simple but I choose to have a horse, I choose to go on that ride, I choose to get up and ride her through the woods, or in a parade. Therefore if I should fall, its probably my fault one way or the other so I fully intend to face up to whatever consequences they may be.

As an adult I fully understand the inherent risk of riding.

Society in general has become far too sue happy. Face that mistakes are made and accidents happen. There is not always someone to blame.

And IMHO I dont see whay anyone would willingly get on a trained horse that requires a riding helmet, cant be that great of a horse then. (unless your under 18, youth should always wear)

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
You kow what, personally as a horse person I dont really care if the group I am riding with has insurance or not. I may be simple but I choose to have a horse, I choose to go on that ride, I choose to get up and ride her through the woods, or in a parade. Therefore if I should fall, its probably my fault one way or the other so I fully intend to face up to whatever consequences they may be.

As an adult I fully understand the inherent risk of riding.

Society in general has become far too sue happy. Face that mistakes are made and accidents happen. There is not always someone to blame.

And IMHO I dont see whay anyone would willingly get on a trained horse that requires a riding helmet, cant be that great of a horse then. (unless your under 18, youth should always wear)

:lmao:

fredsaid2

Every USEF rated show requires juniors to wear an ASTM/SEI certified helmet whenever mounted and any senior the same when over fences. Most local unrated shows base their rules off the USEF ones and have the same helmet requirements.

Anyone who questions 'why a helmet?' should watch the video "Every ride, Every time". Equestrians far more experienced than we can every hope to be have had crippling injuries due to riding w/o a helmet. Riding a horse is inherently dangerous. No amount of training will overcome his flight instincts in certain situations.

I've witnesses several situations where a helmet saved a young life and thank God they were properly protected. You'll never be a good enough rider or have a well enough trained horse to overcome the unexpected.

For those of you who choose to ride without, I have no problem with that as long as you are an adult. It is, after all a choice. I do pray you or those that love you will never have to question your decision.