Ames Stores To Close Doors

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Re: Re: Bookstores

Originally posted by cariblue

Then I guess you'll just have to drive up the road, or open a book store yourself.

Geez, Cari . . . who bent you over this morning?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by SmallTown
Yea, if I can't thumb through the book, better off going to somewhere like Amazon and read people's reviews of it.. That way you are bound to get several different view points of just about any book you want.. I doubt the people at bay books can tell you about all the books they have (actually, as small as the store is, they probably can).. But if you have to order something, go online.. Much cheaper and generally pretty quick.. But it would still be nice to have a LARGE selection to browse through physically. Reading isn't a high prioroty here like autopart places, so I guess we'll have to do without.

I agree with this, in part. There's any number of advantages to being able to see, open and browse through a huge selection of books, especially if the kind of book is unusual (and will have no reviews online) or the subject is something I don't know a lot about. In a large bookstore, I can browse much faster than I can online, and I even have cable - it's just faster. I can sit and read parts of the book that I want, right there. I can search for new titles on subjects that interest me more quickly - online searching still yields far too many irrelevant hits.

Then there's just serendipity - I've bought any number of books because I learned something unusual while browsing. I've found topics on new technology that I wasn't aware of, in a bookstore. Recently, I wanted a copy of the Tao Te Ching - they all have mostly the SAME content, but the copy I got had a very good hardcover, a classical appearance, and one of those strips for marking your spot - a nice LOOKING book. I check out computer books to see if the content has good examples, or bad generic ones.

I don't always trust reviews I see online - most of the really popular books have people who are paid to "volunteer" information. Any very expensive book I *do* check out a lot of reviews on many sites, but the fact is, I can learn a lot of this kind of thing - especially with computer books - just by looking at them.

I frequently make the trek to Barnes & Noble because when I have a huge number of interests or feel the wish to check out a large number of topics. I just find it easier. I don't go at all to BayBooks unless it's a popular book that I am sure will be there OR a regional book on say, St. Mary's that I know will be impossible to find either online or at B &N.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I spoke to my mother last night when I got home and they did announce it at 8am yesterday that the entire chain will be closing. They kind of slammed it on them. They knew they were in trouble and she kind of knew it was coming but there will be alot of people looking for jobs! They are supposed to be closed by November 1 and they start the 10% off liquidation on Sunday.

blueeyes76

if you guys have such a problem with the small bookstores in this area why don't you quit complaining, get off of your arse, and try to do something about it.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Wasn't there someone here awhile ago asking what the response would be to a small bookstore in LexPark? I think he/she was looking into opening a re-use kind of store where you can buy/ sell used books. I think everyone gave them the thumbs up . . . . I personally don't have the time, money or ability to open my own bookstore but I would support any local who does - especially if they use one of the many old abandoned buildings to do so!!

blueeyes76

Are you suggesting we firebomb Bay Books?

that's not exactly what i had in mind...

i'm just tired of people moaning and groaning about restaurants/stores/locals. deal with it, or do something about it.

K

Katie

Darn...I jsut got a really nice basket from there. It went well with my expensive longabergers and can't tell a difference unless you look. I guess I am going to have to get some more from there before they close.

SxyPrincess

What a scam this store closing is going to be. WOW! A whole 10% off an item that's been marked up 30%. I've seen it a million times and I'm sure this will be no exception.

If anyone plans on buying some of their liquidated inventory--be wise and use your common sense. I doubt you'll be able to return it once you realize you got ripped off. :rolleyes:

pilot

Originally posted by jetmonkey

Are you suggesting we firebomb Bay Books?

I don't totally blame Bay Books. I blame the big chains who don't want to move down here because they think that there's not a market in Southern MD (you know, we're all a bunch of illiterate rednecks and hicks who would never appreciate a good bookstore).

Don't get me wrong. I hate it when a big chain comes in and puts an existing business out of business if that business really is serving the needs of the community. But, in this case, there's clearly a demand for a bigger bookstore. I don't understand why Bay Books doesn't expand and put in a coffee shop where people could hang out and socialize, like the bigger chains.

I visited a Barnes and Nobles in Massachusetts that was attached to a Starbucks. The net result was an increase in business for both places.

Speaking of big chains not believing that there's a market in Southern MD, I keep wondering when Olive Garden is going to finally get wise.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Do you really think the corporate suits really sit there and red-mark St. Mary's County as "not literate, so we won't open there?"

More likely, they look at demographics and traffic volume, then figure out if they can make money after they pay expenses. I think they're looking at spreadsheets with this data, and not literacy and SAT scores for a particular area.

Bay Books has a nice store, and from their longevity, must run a good business. Maybe someone should query the owners about some of the ideas posted here. Personally, I believe that any small business should keep their focus on core business. Bay Books has a successful core business selling books. Coffee and food service adds a new realm to their business and would take focus and resources away from their core, which may or may not be in their best interest, long-term.

I suspect that they listen to their customers, cater to them, and could probably answer some of the questions and suggestions posted here. If someone is a regular customer, ask them and post the answer here so we can all stop speculating.

SmallTown

Football season!
Just looking at the local sales numbers is a bad indication of the need for a certain business here. If say Barnes & Noble were to look at the volume of business Bay books has, it would say that a B & N would never work here. But you would miss out on all the people who buy online because it is easier than trying to go through Bay Books. They would also miss out on the people who go to Waldforf or Annapolis to buy their books because of the larger selections.

But I also would have to think B & N would have to think twice about coming here if they drive around and see a liquor store on every block.. The only place you see that normally is the ghetto.

A smart businessman (or woman) at B & N would look at the current competition, then see that St. Marys is one of the fastest growing areas in Maryland with one of the higest median incomes in the state, and realize it is a gold mine here

K

Kizzy

Smalltown,

Oh great, another empty store front in an already pitiful strip mall... Maybe they should put in another "Bait and Tackle" shop to keep up with the growing number of autoparts and car care places. Can't get a decent book store down here, but you can choose between 30 different places to buy oil..

I totally agree with you. I think they need to put an end to building anymore stores until they fill up the old one. I remember when Shopper's World was bare and then it filled back up. So I hope that the stores will get filled up soon. We need a Best Buy or something like it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Liquor stores

I can't remember any of them closing up shop and going out of business. :lol:
~~~~~~~

Most of those empty storefronts that you see are empty because the owner charges too much rent. If you are looking for places to browse down here, forget it; they need sales to stay afloat. I certainly wouldn't pay inflated prices in a store that needs to charge more when it's cheaper and more convenient to buy the same items online.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by jetmonkey

Yeah, you don't see ANY liquor stores in Waldorf, DC or Annapolis. :duh: :bawl: :duh: :bawl:

I don't know. When I go to those places, i'm more interested in seeing things that we don't have a lot of down here. I always like seeing the comedian David Chapell.. One of his skits talks about being in the back of a limo and knowing he was in the bad part of town because as he was driving by, it was "Liquor store, gun store, Liquor store, gun store".

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Liquor stores

Originally posted by Sharon
Most of those empty storefronts that you see are empty because the owner charges too much rent. If you are looking for places to browse down here, forget it; they need sales to stay afloat. I certainly wouldn't pay inflated prices in a store that needs to charge more when it's cheaper and more convenient to buy the same items online.

Must be a lot of greed, because stores in Alexandria and Arlington seem to do quite well and charge the same as anywhere else, and they have some of the highest rents around.

Funny how they try to charge so much down here, even with all of the empty store fronts.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Nodnarb
Do you really think the corporate suits really sit there and red-mark St. Mary's County as "not literate, so we won't open there?"

More likely, they look at demographics and traffic volume, then figure out if they can make money after they pay expenses. I think they're looking at spreadsheets with this data, and not literacy and SAT scores for a particular area.

I agree with you up to a point. Lots of the workers at Pax NAS do not live in the county. I believe that throws off all the demographic calculations. Probably half the potential customers for a Barnes and Noble head back up Route 5 and Route 4 every evening.

pilot

Originally posted by Nodnarb

Well, I'm basing this on an interview I read with Woodburns grocery store right after they upgraded to an upscale gourmet grocery store. They said that a lot of the their suppliers refused to believe that there was a market in Southern Maryland.

Just look at the success of Monterey restaurant in San Souci. I'd say the Mexican chains that didn't move down here completely missed the boat.

Last edited: