Ammo question

General Lee

Since Maryland is a "retreat" state, first off you will need a shotgun that has a plugged and vented barrel. Then purchase shotgun ammo that has no shot,just powder. That way every time you fire the shotgun you are moving backwards(from recoil) in the proper retreat fashion in order to be in compliance with the law.
"Maryland also follows the common law rule that, outside of one's home, a person, before using deadly force in self-defense, has the duty "'to retreat or avoid danger if such means were within his power and consistent with his safety.'" DeVaughn v. State, 232 Md. 447, 453, 194 A.2d 109, 112 (1963), cert. denied, 376 U.S. 527 (1964), quoting Bruce v. State, 218 Md. 87, 97, 145 A.2d 428, 433 (1958). See also Burch v. State, 346 Md. 253, 283, 696 A.2d 443, 458 (1997)."
Should the aggressor continue his/her pursuit, and you can retreat no further,you may then use the shotgun as a club!
Then, still using only enough clubbing force that is not considered "unreasonable and excessive force, meaning such force as prudent men would not have used under all the circumstances of the case." Id., 179 Md. at 600, 20 A.2d at 487.
If you didn't call 911 while retreating, in all likely hood your club use would be considered excessive force since the prudent thing to have done would have been to call 911.
Based upon the above, you may be better off falling to your knees and begging for mercy from the assailants. Forget the shotgun!

F that BS. Sometimes the water needs to be tested in order to change case law.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Since there aren't enough Zimmerman treads yet, here's my addition.

As I prepare for the upcoming riots, what shotgun ammo would you suggest to stock up on?

I'm thinking that some bird shot is good in case I need it inside the house. Some #4 might be good to make a crowd want to go the other way, and some buckshot for those who do not disperse. And for a really dramatic effect, some deer slugs for the ringleaders.

Where's the best place to buy ammo in St. Mary's? Tackle box always seems pricey. Walmart has decent prices, but their selection sucks. I've gotten some great deals at Dick's during sales, but the regular prices are a bit high. Their selection seems to be getting worse also.

First buy the new 12 guage that comes with two tubular magazines that each hold 10 rounds.. load one side with slugs or buckshot, the other tube with 4 shot.. then chose the tube you want to shoot from as the need arises

itsbob

I bowl overhand
They call them "celebrations"

"Then in 1996, the town was hit by another riot. This was started by the white college population of the town after the famous local basketball team, the Wildcats, won the national championship.

According to news reports, the University campus and the surrounding areas were a disaster the morning after the win in ’96. Citizens who had the misfortune of parking their cars on the streets surrounding campus awoke to find nothing but a burned-out shell where their vehicles sat the night before. Store windows were smashed and buildings had been tagged with spray paint"

Another White Riot in Kentucky | Care2 Causes

HOw many killed, severely injured or pulled from their vehicle and bashed with cinder blocks?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have a short barrel and pistol grip, but I'm going with the stock. I learned to clear spaces on a ship using a shotgun with the stock. I'd rather have the sturdy contact with the stock than try to control it with a pistol grip. I'm also more comfortable pumping another round with it solidly against my shoulder.

The gunslinger pistol grip thing is great in the movies, but isn't really that good for the real thing. Unless you have a pistol grip in addition to the stock.

Buckshot and slugs in the house are a bad thing unless you know what is behind every wall. I want to take out the bad guy, not my kids. Close range birdshot is adequate for inside the house.

I wouldn't use any birdshot smaller than #4 outside. Not enough range, not enough energy at impact. If things get bad enough to actually shoot at someone I want it to be fatal. I don't believe in shooting to wound.
Birdshot is worthless in the house if the criminal takes cover behind a door, a wall or a piece of furniture.

Inkd

If you are talking about home defense, shotguns are great.

Riot situations or a keep the fvck off my property situation, something with more range is best. A personal defense weapon, if you are government, or an assault weapon of you are a regular citizen it what is needed. Actually anything that has range will suffice. I would take my lever action 30-30 and the ability to knock people off at 100+ yards as my primary weapon over a shotgun anyday.

Distance is your friend in any engagement and that is a shotguns main drawback.

As far as shotgun ammo to use, I would go with #4 or double or triple ought buckshot. I would stay away from bird shot altogether. Lets face it, if you are in this type of a situation, you don't want to sting someone or warn them. You want to take them out of the fight as quickly as possible and engage the next target.

Slugs can be effective, with the right sights and barrels out to 100 yards and if things get closer, you can always transition to shot shells.

Not to piss in anyones Wheaties but if you want a pistol grip shotgun, try to shoot one first with buckshot or slugs, just make sure you have a camera handy first cause it will make a great youtube video.

Get something with a friggin' stock on it. Even a short length of pull stock will do more for control then a pistol grip.

As far as your family is concerned, if #### is that bad, they will probably be in visual proximity of you and you should not need to worry about where they are in the house. But, not knowing the layout of your house, I could be wrong about that.

As far as the best firearm to have, that would be the one you have with you when you need it. Even a small caliber handgun should hopefully let you fight your way back to your long gun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't think, reading above, they meant a pistol grip by itself, but a pistol grip in addition to the normal stock... like an M16.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I don't think, reading above, they meant a pistol grip by itself, but a pistol grip in addition to the normal stock... like an M16.

My "home defense package" Mossberg came with a pistol grip that can be used instead of the stock. That's why I put the stock back on it.

Not the one in the pic, but similar. The other pic is what you obviously mean, and I agree that would be useful.

Attachments

• timthumb.png
    timthumb.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 88
  • timthumb (1).png
    timthumb (1).png
    47.9 KB · Views: 82

Vince

Gave the daughter a nice little .410 pistol grip for her birthday along with some of these rounds for home defense.

Attachments

• pdx1_410pack_shells-tfb.jpg
    pdx1_410pack_shells-tfb.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 85

Vince

My personnal preference. Short barrel coach gun. Double triggers, double hammers.

Attachments

• 1878cg-26-1878coachgun-26-12ga.jpg
    1878cg-26-1878coachgun-26-12ga.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 82

RPMDAD

My "home defense package" Mossberg came with a pistol grip that can be used instead of the stock. That's why I put the stock back on it.

Not the one in the pic, but similar. The other pic is what you obviously mean, and I agree that would be useful.

MMDad, the Mossberg, on the right Model 590??

garyt27

INAFJ
One manufacturer makes a long gun with a revolving mag that can shoot .410 and .45. You can load half and half. Sting hard, if that don't work the next .45 will.