And now your Electric Company wants to take more money from your pocket to the tune of about Ten Percent

3CATSAILOR

I just heard SMECO wants to raise our rates "again". This time I hear it is to the tune of about TEN percent!!! Whenever they want to raise rates on us, it is usually approved with a rubber stamp.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I just heard SMECO wants to raise our rates "again". This time I hear it is to the tune of about TEN percent!!! Whenever they want to raise rates on us, it is usually approved with a rubber stamp.

Well you know .... INFLATION. The arbitrary creation of more money chasing the same amount of goods and services. Inflation is and always is a monetary phenomenon.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

SMECO files for Distribution Service base rate increase
"On May 1, 2024, SMECO filed a request with the PSC to increase its Distribution Service base rates. If approved, an average residential customer using 1,100 kWh per month would experience an overall increase of 10.9 percent in their total monthly electric bill, which amounts to $18.56 per month. We anticipate new rates will go into effect near the end of 2024."

Pretty soon the Distribution Service Rate will be higher than what is charged for actual electricity, kwh.

*Added: I forgot about this ....

"Our most recent distribution rate case was filed in late 2022, driven primarily by the need for SMECO to recover costs associated with our smart meter deployment. The requested cost recovery for this last rate case was based on much lower 2021 expenses."

Now did anyone here, at any time, demand SMECO replace our analog meters with these smart, (spy), meters?

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad

"On May 1, 2024, SMECO filed a request with the PSC to increase its Distribution Service base rates. If approved, an average residential customer using 1,100 kWh per month would experience an overall increase of 10.9 percent in their total monthly electric bill, which amounts to $18.56 per month. We anticipate new rates will go into effect near the end of 2024."

Pretty soon the Distribution Service Rate will be higher than what is charged for actual electricity, kwh.

"Our most recent distribution rate case was filed in late 2022, driven primarily by the need for SMECO to recover costs associated with our smart meter deployment. The requested cost recovery for this last rate case was based on much lower 2021 expenses."

Now did anyone here, at any time, demand SMECO replace our analog meters with these smart, (spy), meters?
That whole smart meter replacement pissed me off. But I wasn’t willing to pay $15/month to keep the analog meter. Those smart meters are gonna bite us in the ass at some point.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

They were mandated to be installed. I don't know how SMECO was able to wait so long. Maybe mandate isn't the right word. The companies were legislatively told and "encouraged" by the grid managers and PSC to do it and told to make it painful for the consumer if they were rejected.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Fortunately, SMECO is a nonprofit co-op.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

They were mandated to be installed. I don't know how SMECO was able to wait so long. Maybe mandate isn't the right word. The companies were legislatively told and "encouraged" by the grid managers and PSC to do it and told to make it painful for the consumer if they were rejected.

So they were encouraged to do so? Just like we were "encouraged" to get the covid poison shot? Being told legislatively? What law made them do this? Where is the PSC regulation forcing them to do so?

So much for being an independent member owned COOP that supposed to represent its members best interests.

Fortunately, SMECO is a nonprofit co-op.

Except for those "executives" at the top that individually profit handsomely. Kinda like the president of SMECO pulling down over $500,000 a year, IIRC.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

So they were encouraged to do so? Just like we were "encouraged" to get the covid poison shot? Being told legislatively? What law made them do this? Where is the PSC regulation forcing them to do so?

So much for being an independent member owned COOP that supposed to represent its members best interests.

Except for those "executives" at the top that individually profit handsomely. Kinda like the president of SMECO pulling down over $500,000 a year, IIRC.
Executives receive executive pay. Who would they hire for 200K that would manage it well?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Like all utilities they're regulated by code and, in this case the PSC. Just like you can't put up a slaughterhouse next to, oh, Marley Station because of the Calvert land use codes.

If utilities weren't regulated, especially the rates, this 10% proposed increase (which at the end of day they won't get) would be considered low.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Executives receive executive pay. Who would they hire for 200K that would manage it well?

Maybe an executive coming from an executive job that was paying $150,000? There are plenty of people, (most likely unemployed White men), with the experience necessary that could manage SMECO for $200K. Any employee of a cooperative being paid over $500,000 a year is a gross waste and irresponsible use of member money.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Maybe an executive coming from an executive job that was paying $150,000? There are plenty of people, (most likely unemployed White men), with the experience necessary that could manage SMECO for $200K. Any employee of a cooperative being paid over $500,000 a year is a gross waste and irresponsible use of member money.
How many executive positions have you held?..just curious

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
PSC denied PEPCO's rate increase yesterday. It was similar to SMECO's and was cut to 3.5%.

PeoplesElbow

I know many people that make that much and they haven't been in charge of much more than a single project.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

I know many people that make that much and they haven't been in charge of much more than a single project.

But different. A for profit business/corporation can do that to attract the best engineers, technicians, etc.. Which amount do you speak of though?

GregV814

did you know PEPCO has a new fleet of Rivians rusting away at the Benning Road facility? They're like 90-100K each. I said a FLEET.

PeoplesElbow

But different. A for profit business/corporation can do that to attract the best engineers, technicians, etc.. Which amount do you speak of though?
So would you be ok with someone that can't do the job very well as long as the pay is low?

I know "not good" engineers that make 200k+