Angels Pitcher Killed in Hit and Run

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
He was a rookie pitcher from Silver Spring, MD. :ohwell:

Angels' Adenhart; 2 others killed in accident | angelsbaseball.com: News

Angels rookie right-hander Nick Adenhart died early Thursday morning after a car accident in Fullerton, Calif., according to multiple reports. University of California-Irvine Medical Center spokesman John Murray said Adenhart died after undergoing surgery.

Two others were killed and another was seriously injured in the accident, which involved three vehicles. Authorities were blaming the accident on a motorist who ran a red light with his van and then fled the scene on foot. He was later captured and charged with felony hit-and-run.

An Angels employee, reached by telephone, said that the team was preparing a news release and that its media relations department was not taking any calls at that time.

The news of Adenhart's death was first reported by Maryland television station WHAG, which cited a family member as its source. The Los Angeles Times cited an associate of the pitcher in its report.

A gray Mistubishi, hit by the van, slammed into a light pole. Two of the occupants in the Mitsubishi were declared dead at the scene. Adenhart died just after 6 a.m. PT on Thursday.

A fourth occupant is at University of California Irvine Medical Center in Orange in critical condition, said WHAG.

The third vehicle was stopped in the intersection at the time of the accident. The driver was not seriously hurt.

Adenhart, 22, made his season debut against Oakland on Wednesday night, shutting out the A's for six innings in a game the Angels eventually lost, 6-3.

A 14th-round Draft choice in 2004, Adenhart made his Major League debut on May 1 last season and made three starts, winning one of them.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Pitcher killed in hit and run.

Am I the only one laughing about this?

A hit and run is a play in baseball in which the baserunners are in motion before the ball is hit and the batter attempts to make contact with the pitch. If the ball is unhittable, such as if it is thrown in the dirt or high above the batter's head, and the batter will be unable to make contact, he does not have to swing (as nothing would be gained by it). The hit and run is usually employed when a good contact hitter—one skilled at making contact even when the pitch is hard to hit—is at the plate. Often, on a hit-and-run play the batter will try to "hit behind the runner" by hitting the ball to right field, making it more likely that the runner will be able to go from first to third on a single or even score from first on a double. Another goal of the hit and run is to open holes in the infield for the batter to hit the ball through, since either the shortstop or the second baseman will have to cover second base when they see the runner moving.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I was just watching MLB Network. The stories they are telling are horrible.

All 4 people in the Mitsubishi that Adenhart was in died. The 4th victim just succumbed to his injuries.

Driver that hit them had a BAC that they will not release yet, but they did confirm he was over the legal imit. He also has a prior record of DUI and his drivers license was suspended. They said he fled the scene of the accident on foot and was captured 2 miles down the road on an Interstate.

There was a report on MLB Network that the driver of the Mitsubishi and the person sitting behind the driver were DOA. It was also reported on MLBN that police said that Adenhart and the other passenger were sitting on the passengers side of the vehicle, but they were unable to determine who was sitting where at the time of the collision. They also said on MLBN that there is one passenger that has yet to be identified.

Nick Adenhart of Los Angeles Angels killed in car crash in Fullerton - ESPN

"...Adenhart's father, Jim, had flown out from Baltimore to watch the game.

"He summoned his father the day before and he said, 'You better come here because something special's gonna happen,' " said Adenhart's agent, Scott Boras.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My sister made the evening news tonight, nasty wreck on I70. Guy that ploughed into her is in shock trauma. My brother in law says she's lucky to be aliive.

It happens. And it happens in a flash.

And her curveball sucks.

JollyRoger

My sister made the evening news tonight, nasty wreck on I70. Guy that ploughed into her is in shock trauma. My brother in law says she's lucky to be aliive.

It happens. And it happens in a flash.

And her curveball sucks.

Funny, till it hits home plate!