Another accident 14 april 2017

The problem is we don't expect that here. "Me first" is the guiding principle of American drivers.

Not entirely. When I took Driver's Ed, the rule was 'if you have right of way, maintain speed and direction. The merging driver does not have right of way, and can be thrown off by you changing speed/direction in an attempt to be polite'.

When I merge, I do not expect anyone to accommodate me. If they slow down to be nice, it screws me up because I'm not expecting them to slow down, and have gauged my merge expecting them to maintain.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Not entirely. When I took Driver's Ed, the rule was 'if you have right of way, maintain speed and direction. The merging driver does not have right of way, and can be thrown off by you changing speed/direction in an attempt to be polite'.

When I merge, I do not expect anyone to accommodate me. If they slow down to be nice, it screws me up because I'm not expecting them to slow down, and have gauged my merge expecting them to maintain.
But when you merge into traffic, you use your mirrors, signal and turn your head to check your blind spot(s) before moving over, don't you. Many in this area practice few to NONE of those things.

Last edited:

Clem72

Interesting... I just got back from a little Caribbean islands time... down there, that's exactly the expected behavior. If you're driving on a main road, and you see someone pull up to the road from a side street or driveway, you fully expect that they will pull out, so you better go ahead and slow down. And since everyone expects it, nobody gets mad about it. Pleasant little "beep beep" honk saying "go ahead, pal", responded by a "beep" honk saying "Thanks, buddy, I appreciate you letting me in."

The problem is we don't expect that here. "Me first" is the guiding principle of American drivers.

That's not an example of me first, it's called right of way. It's how you keep traffic moving efficiently, which is needed in a busy society. If we were all a bunch of burn out islanders who have all day to get to their "job" sitting on the back of cousin Amani's truck selling mangos, then you don't need rules and everyone can be overly polite and waste each other's time.

3CATSAILOR

Social media will be death of the world. People are addicted to it; especially the current generation. Yes, I know this forum is social media, but most of us are stationary when responding. It is only to get worse. I still think there are other factors for the reasons for accidents. Defensive is the key word. When I see distracted drivers (for whatever reason), I slow down, and drop back. That is why I am still here. :smile:

I don't do FB, Instagram, Twitter, and all the rest. Never have; never will. This forum is my only ever social media. I do text my children, occasionally, but it is when I am home. I hate texting!

Letter writing is gone with the wind, and landlines are following. I don't understand why it is called social media; there is nothing social about it. And, it is causing death and disconnect among humans. Oh well. That's all.

Thank you. You are a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!