Another Accident on rt 4

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Okay, so we are all in agreement about the douchebag motorists going 15+ miles over the limit and glhs837 should be taken off of the road because he's too old to have a license. If you can't control your bladder, you can't control a car...

garyt27

INAFJ
Okay, so we are all in agreement about the douchebag motorists going 15+ miles over the limit and glhs837 should be taken off of the road because he's too old to have a license. If you can't control your bladder, you can't control a car...
The day 'We are all in agreement" on this site will be the "Day the earth stood still"

DEEKAYPEE8569

And yet hundreds, thousands?, of people drive it every day without incident. Same with the bridge. So I will suggest the problem is not with the road.
IAW your last statement; I submit, folks talking on the phone, texting, the 'screw you/hooray for me' mindset, non-signaling lane changers; ie; onto 235S from the bridge, cutting into the turn lane into WaWa. Hmmm.....what else.....

glhs837

Power with Control

Dont be hatin.......

http://www.biorelief.com/uriwell-unisex-personal-toilet.html

And I now blame you for the fact that I now know this product exists........... And really, its not so much a +/- of the limit so much as a difference between one driver and the traffic flow, but that varys. Doing 95 across an empty stretch of 75 Nevada desert, not such a big deal. 70 on the BW parkway when everyone else is doing 55, that's deadly.

glhs837

Power with Control
Then you must agree that it's deadly on Rt. 4 since the BW parkway at least has controlled access.

Not on all of Rt 4, depends on traffic flow access and sightlines. some parts of Rt 4, yes. Others, not a problem, given an attentive driver and a vehicle that isn't falling apart. Little to no traffic in the places with fewer entrances and or entrances that are clearly visible, it would be fine. Note I dont mention a requirement that people entering the highway do so safely. Even if they do so unsafely, travelling that speed should allow plenty of time to react and deconflict for any driver paying proper attention. Obviously, 70 through PF would not be advisable. I do 9 over becuase that's where I am reasonably certain I wont get a ticket, not because I feel 64 is the safest speed for me under all conditions on that whole road.

On a realted note, saw an article this AM about an overturned vehicle up in Calvert, and this was one of the comments

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/37012

Unfortunately route 4 connects to Saint Mary's via the Solomon's bridge, allowing half of Saint Mary's to travel through Calvert. If Saint Mary's residents would travel up their own route 5, this would eliminate more than half of the accidents. The only reason for traffic on route 4 is due to Saint Mary's county. Close the bridge for a day and see how nice Calvert would be to drive through, the residents of Calvert would never want to re-open it. To all Saint Mary's residents, stay on your side of the river, it would make things a lot nicer...and more safe for that matter!

Bwuhahahahaha!!!!!!! Yep, just shut the bridge down and watch the fires burn :) Bet that person has no damn clue how much of Calverts tax base gets paid by people who cross that bridge to high paying jobs here in St Mary's.

garyt27

INAFJ
That's a stupid statement alright.
Then I was thinking if the bridge was never built then maybe Calvert would still be growing tobacco, and all the growth would have been in St. Marys. I should add: Sooner.
No?

PsyOps

Pixelated
So, there was ANOTHER major accident in this same stretch of road (near the Mr. Tire) yesterday. I haven't found a report on it yet.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

Attachments

• Aha!!!!!.jpg
    Aha!!!!!.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 343

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
One of my nieces was involved in a horrific accident in that stretch last September involving a head-on collission into her vehicle.

She has had probably 17 different surgeries, with more to come. She still walks with a walker, and is still unable to return to work or fully take care of herself.

All because the other driver was driving distracted and wrecklessly. :ohwell:

DEEKAYPEE8569

One of my nieces was involved in a horrific accident in that stretch last September involving a head-on collission into her vehicle.

She has had probably 17 different surgeries, with more to come. She still walks with a walker, and is still unable to return to work or fully take care of herself.

Texting would be my guess.

PsyOps

Pixelated

But I am still wondering what is about that stretch of road that has more accidents than any other that I drive. I get caught up in an accident almost every week on 4; and this is anywhere from Port Republic to Suitland. The two places that seem to have the most is the stretch in the wooded area just north of 260 and the stretch from Sixes to Broomes Island; especially right around the Mr. Tire area. I know it's peoples' poor driving, but is there something in that stretch that is causing people to loosen up or feel more free to diddle around with their phones? If you notice too, there have been more cops pulling folks over in that stretch lately.

Roman

:flowers:

MMDad

Lem Putt
But I am still wondering what is about that stretch of road that has more accidents than any other that I drive. I get caught up in an accident almost every week on 4; and this is anywhere from Port Republic to Suitland. The two places that seem to have the most is the stretch in the wooded area just north of 260 and the stretch from Sixes to Broomes Island; especially right around the Mr. Tire area. I know it's peoples' poor driving, but is there something in that stretch that is causing people to loosen up or feel more free to diddle around with their phones? If you notice too, there have been more cops pulling folks over in that stretch lately.

I think that the hills have something to do with it. People are unaware of the impact gravity has on their speed. Add in people getting in and out of business and crossing over, and the lack of crossover protection in that area. I don't think that there are actually more accidents there, but they tend to be more serious.