Another batch of antique outboards followed me home

glhs837

Power with Control
Recently replaced by a neighbor...complete with a smiley face drawn on it.
1000011380.jpg

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Some I just display, and of those, some run and some don't. Some few do end up in vintage boats, although the last of those I did was an inboard..I collect those too. View attachment 180232

Is that paddle really enough to row that big boat in case the engine stops running when you're in the middle of the river? And for marine safety, shouldn't that engine have a cover over it? Just ask'in.

I've got a similar paddle in a 21' walkaround, sans the decorative roping, and there's no way that paddle would do a darn bit of good if the engine quits.

Oh yeah, and for the lay person, without get'in into specifics per motor if not wanting .... What was the lowest price paid to the highest price paid for those motors? Curious as to what these things are going for nowadays. Sometimes come across some of these oldies at yard sales.

Sorry, one more thing .... noticed in the first picture there are four holes of equal distance in a square on the floor with what looks like to be inserts of some sort. What use to be there?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For your consideration ...

Is that paddle really enough to row that big boat in case the engine stops running when you're in the middle of the river? And for marine safety, shouldn't that engine have a cover over it? Just ask'in.

I've got a similar paddle in a 21' walkaround, sans the decorative roping, and there's no way that paddle would do a darn bit of good if the engine quits.

Oh yeah, and for the lay person, without get'in into specifics per motor if not wanting .... What was the lowest price paid to the highest price paid for those motors? Curious as to what these things are going for nowadays. Sometimes come across some of these oldies at yard sales.

Sorry, one more thing .... noticed in the first picture there are four holes of equal distance in a square on the floor with what looks like to be inserts of some sort. What use to be there?
The paddle is not for "emergency propulsion"...it's for maneuvering the boat around dock and trailer. The engine has no transmission. The "decorative rope" is there to protect the paddle from abrasion damage against the rub rail. The skiff is only 16' LOA but heavy for its size.

Most of the crab skiffs of that period operated without motor covers (pic below)...or did most of the time, with a small storm cover that could be dropped over when conditions are expected to be particularly snotty.. A cover is just "in the way" of starting the engine. Mine does have a cover, though I leave it off most of the time. Not that the boat has any run time on it anyway. (pic below).

The price range for antique outboard motors is very wide. I saw a late 40s Indian go for almost 5 grand. Conversely, a little 1940s 3 HP Evinrude might fetch only $75.

The holes in the floor are where my tubing bender bolts down.
crab skiff other.JPG
nice bow shot.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The paddle is not for "emergency propulsion"...it's for maneuvering the boat around dock and trailer. The engine has no transmission. The "decorative rope" is there to protect the paddle from abrasion damage against the rub rail. The skiff is only 16' LOA but heavy for its size.

Most of the crab skiffs of that period operated without motor covers (pic below)...or did most of the time, with a small storm cover that could be dropped over when conditions are expected to be particularly snotty.. A cover is just "in the way" of starting the engine. Mine does have a cover, though I leave it off most of the time. Not that the boat has any run time on it anyway. (pic below).

The price range for antique outboard motors is very wide. I saw a late 40s Indian go for almost 5 grand. Conversely, a little 1940s 3 HP Evinrude might fetch only $75.

The holes in the floor are where my tubing bender bolts down. View attachment 180265 View attachment 180266
For years and years and years I had a bow cleats exactly like those, just hanging out in a box in the garage. No clue what became of them, but I'll bet they are worth a bit now.