Another cross the centerline fatal

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We don't need them everywhere! If there were LEO posted at particular areas then the results would be spectacular.

Let's take the 235 corridor for instance. If they posted 3 teams... one in each of the following areas:

- At the Wawa across from NFCU
- At CPFCU behind the Chipotle
- At the new Urgent care center next to Red Robin.

Hell.. just these 3 areas would probably net at least 50 offenders within the hours of 3pm and 6pm for various violations including cell phone use! The only problem would be how tired the LEO would be after that 3 hour span!

And then people would learn to not text when they pass those areas.

Let's get real:

Rush hour, 8 million people trying to get home....and they are impeded by cops going after and pulling over texters. That's not going to go over well, regardless of how outraged we say we are. On Rt 4 there's no place to pull anyone over without stopping the whole shebang. On Rt 235 when traffic is bumper to bumper, I'm not even sure how that would work.

Picture it in your head and tell me what you see.

Officers could take a photo of the offense and mail them a summons without even stopping. The license plate cameras combined with a side-window camera would work well.

Restitution

And then people would learn to not text when they pass those areas.

Let's get real:

Rush hour, 8 million people trying to get home....and they are impeded by cops going after and pulling over texters. That's not going to go over well, regardless of how outraged we say we are. On Rt 4 there's no place to pull anyone over without stopping the whole shebang. On Rt 235 when traffic is bumper to bumper, I'm not even sure how that would work.

Picture it in your head and tell me what you see.

I'm not talking about JUST texters. I am talking about all the azzholes that do shady sh!t and break the law.

Also, I do not know about you but, the shoulder is the last resort when you pull over. Side roads, business entrances, empty lots, etc. are where people SHOULD pull over to. It is just the moron drivers around here that stop in a travel lane. That is driving basics 101! They should be ticketed for impeding traffic.

Are there no side roads on Rte 4 between 235 and the TJ bridge? Not one single shoulder section?

Fact is... there are PLENTY of places for someone to pull over for LEO and NOT impede traffic.

Are there no side roads on Rte 4 between 235 and the TJ bridge? Not one single shoulder section?

Fact is... there are PLENTY of places for someone to pull over for LEO and NOT impede traffic.

Not true in light of the 'move over' law. If there is no lane to your left to move to, you are obligated to slow down as you pass the officer. That in itself will cause major backups and delays.
I got pulled over for passing an officer on the side of the road and I was doing 25 at the time. If 25 is too fast, backups will be unbelievable. And that doubles the officers required, one to pull someone over, and another to watch his butt for move over violators.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Officers could take a photo of the offense and mail them a summons without even stopping. The license plate cameras combined with a side-window camera would work well.

Yes, and I'm sure they would be greeted with the same enthusiasm as red light cameras and speed cameras.

Restitution

Not true in light of the 'move over' law. If there is no lane to your left to move to, you are obligated to slow down as you pass the officer. That in itself will cause major backups and delays.
I got pulled over for passing an officer on the side of the road and I was doing 25 at the time. If 25 is too fast, backups will be unbelievable. And that doubles the officers required, one to pull someone over, and another to watch his butt for move over violators.

So what you are saying is that there are ZERO turn-offs or side roads between 235 and the TJ bridge?? Somewhere that you and the officer can safely come to a stop and NOT impede traffic?? Not a single one???

There must have been quite a lot of construction on that route since the last 2 weeks I drove it :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Clearly you are unfamiliar with that stretch of road.

There is one side road going toward the bridge, about 2/3rds of the way up, and there is a very narrow shoulder.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what you are saying is that there are ZERO turn-offs or side roads between 235 and the TJ bridge?? Somewhere that you and the officer can safely come to a stop and NOT impede traffic?? Not a single one???

There must have been quite a lot of construction on that route since the last 2 weeks I drove it :shrug:

If you saw a big shoulder and side roads northbound on 4 toward the bridge, you are hallucinating.

Don't be an ass about this. Have you ever had an officer behind you and NOT pulled over instantly? Do you know how irate an officer gets if he has to follow you until you decide when it's safe to pull over?

Goldenhawk

Yes, and I'm sure they would be greeted with the same enthusiasm as red light cameras and speed cameras.

And consider that red light camera tickets are regularly challenged and beaten from the "you can't prove I was driving the car" standpoint... imagine the fun of trying to prove someone caught looking down was using a phone, without subpoenaing phone records. Won't happen, ever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't be an ass about this. Have you ever had an officer behind you and NOT pulled over instantly? Do you know how irate an officer gets if he has to follow you until you decide when it's safe to pull over?

FACT: there are zero places to pull over safely on northbound 4 between 235 and the bridge. I'm not sure why he is insisting that there is.

Restitution

Clearly you are unfamiliar with that stretch of road.

There is one side road going toward the bridge, about 2/3rds of the way up, and there is a very narrow shoulder.

So did they block off Oak Drive, Lou's Way, Myrtle Point Rd, Shady Mile Dr, South Patuxent Beach (both ends), and North Patuxent Beach?

EDIT: Sorry... forgot Patuxent Blvd too :yay:

Last edited:

I suggested a viable option. If people complain about it to the same extent as other fixed-based cameras, then they really and truly are not willing to help resolve the issue.

Restitution

I know it has probably been a while since you took driving lessons however, when you are being pulled over by LEO, you are supposed to travel to the nearest available SAFE area to pull over. Not immediately... in a travel lane!

I know it has probably been a while since you took driving lessons however, when you are being pulled over by LEO, you are supposed to travel to the nearest available SAFE area to pull over. Not immediately... in a travel lane!

Try it.

Goldenhawk

And consider that red light camera tickets are regularly challenged and beaten from the "you can't prove I was driving the car" standpoint... imagine the fun of trying to prove someone caught looking down was using a phone, without subpoenaing phone records. Won't happen, ever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So did they block off Oak Drive, Lou's Way, Myrtle Point Rd, Shady Mile Dr, South Patuxent Beach (both ends), and North Patuxent Beach?

Do you even live in this area? Shady Mile has never gone through to Rt 4, and Myrtle Point is on the southbound side.

Oak Dr is right after the turn onto 4 from 235. Then you have a mile stretch before S Pax Beach. The shoulder is narrow. During rush the traffic is bumper to bumper. Unless the problem person is directly adjacent to the cop, the cop will A) not see them, and B) not be able to respond safely.

Why is this hard for you?

Restitution

I have. Last time I drove about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in order to turn off onto a side road. When the officer walked up he asked me why and I told him "I drove onto here to get out of the way of traffic flow for safety."

Got a warning :yay:

Restitution

Do you even live in this area? Shady Mile has never gone through to Rt 4, and Myrtle Point is on the southbound side.

Oak Dr is right after the turn onto 4 from 235. Then you have a mile stretch before S Pax Beach. The shoulder is narrow. During rush the traffic is bumper to bumper. Unless the problem person is directly adjacent to the cop, the cop will A) not see them, and B) not be able to respond safely.

Why is this hard for you?

So what is your excuse for the examples that I gave? Too hard for you to justify it so you picked Rte 4?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what is your excuse for the examples that I gave? To hard for you to justify it so you picked Rte 4?

Dude, you are the one who specified Rt. 4.

No, really. Go back and look.

Here, I'll help: