Antique's Business...

dave1959

Anyone out there in the Antique's Business. Im thinking about getting into this a little and was looking for someone to talk to about the southern maryland market. Booth rentals, consignment fees ect,ect..

GoodnessME

Anyone out there in the Antique's Business. Im thinking about getting into this a little and was looking for someone to talk to about the southern maryland market. Booth rentals, consignment fees ect,ect..

Yep there is one on just about EVERY corner....Good Luck

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

There's an Antique business in Lexington Park across the street and one block over from NAS Pax, Gate 2. They do everything you're asking about. Another good place is the Flea Market up at Charlotte Hall on weekends. Good Luck...

dave1959

There's an Antique business in Lexington Park across the street and one block over from NAS Pax, Gate 2. They do everything you're asking about. Another good place is the Flea Market up at Charlotte Hall on weekends. Good Luck...

Thanks, I know where most stores are. ( Charlotte Hall Flea Market is NOT an antique business ).

What Im looking for is info on the Business end,.. Rents, fee's, consignments,
space rental ect...
So that when I start talking to people I will have a little info on my side.

nutz

Thanks, I know where most stores are. ( Charlotte Hall Flea Market is NOT an antique business ).

space rental ect...

Have family out of state dealing in antiquities. Their best advice is, "only buy things you won't mind looking at for a long time". :buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
My lady and I are into the antique business.

We've done the research for the area and most established venues charge too much for our taste. No meat on the bone.

We're currently located at the Chesapeake Marketplace in St. Leonard. There's about 50-75 shops located across from the auction house, which is convenient. Plus, they offer the best prices in town as far as rent. In fact, we're about to expand there next month. We do well on sales but its all what you make of it. If you don't put the time and energy into it, it'll be a waste.

We were recently at the Maryland Antiques Center in Leonardtown as well. However, a new owner recently purchased the building and increased the rent 2 1/2 times the amount we were paying + 15% of any sales. We told them "Good luck!":popcorn:

It's an interesting business to get into. If you do it right and know what you're doing it can be fun and rewarding. I'm always learning something!

We're always looking for new opportunities, which is why we tried MAC for a good while. If you happen to find a good venue we may be interested in joining up with you.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My lady and I are into the antique business.

We've done the research for the area and most established venues charge too much for our taste. No meat on the bone.

We're currently located at the Chesapeake Marketplace in St. Leonard. There's about 50-75 shops located across from the auction house, which is convenient. Plus, they offer the best prices in town as far as rent. We do well on sales but its all what you make of it. If you don't put the time and energy into it, it'll be a waste.

We were recently at the Maryland Antiques Center in Leonardtown as well. However, a new owner recently purchased the building and increased the rent 2 1/2 times the amount we were paying + 15% of any sales. We told them "Good luck!":popcorn:

It's an interesting business to get into. If you do it right and know what you're doing it can be fun and rewarding. I'm always learning something!

We're always looking for new opportunities, which is why we tried MAC for a good while. If you happen to find a good venue we may be interested in joining up with you.

:howdy:

Radiant1

Soul Probe

:yikes: Do you suppose D knew the new owners were going to do that?

BuddyLee

Football addict
:howdy:Hello lady.

Radiant1 said:
:yikes: Do you suppose D knew the new owners were going to do that?
From what I know, he was looking to spend some money to improve the building and promote the business. They were even bringing in a new restaurant into the old tea room. Positive.

He didn't want to deal with collecting from the dealers so he leased the building to someone else. Once this happened, the rent was jacked up significantly and 90% of the dealers vanished this last month, not surprisingly. I heard the restaurant pulled out as well.

I hope they turn it around. Tis' a shame.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
:howdy:Hello lady.

From what I know, he was looking to spend some money to improve the building and promote the business. They were even bringing in a new restaurant into the old tea room. Positive.

He didn't want to deal with collecting from the dealers so he leased the building to someone else. Once this happened, the rent was jacked up significantly and 90% of the dealers vanished this last month, not surprisingly. I heard the restaurant pulled out as well.

I hope they turn it around. Tis' a shame.

It sounds like it's practically empty on both sides, a shame indeed. I was happy to hear when you moved there thinking you'd garner more business, go figure.

I lucked out of the deal when D was cleaning house. Somehow I managed to get J's electronic piano. It's a nice acquisition for our music room. :yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
It sounds like it's practically empty on both sides, a shame indeed. I was happy to hear when you moved there thinking you'd garner more business, go figure.

I lucked out of the deal when D was cleaning house. Somehow I managed to get J's electronic piano. It's a nice acquisition for our music room. :yay:
We did a good amount of business while there. It was good while it lasted.:smile:

red_explorer

space rental ect...
But in the tobacco warehouses in Hughesville, there are antique markets....not the flea market.

Also, there are many others.... MD Antiques by Port of Leonardtown Winery...lots of different booths... and there are a few places in downtown Leonardtown, and two that I can think of in Loveville, and many more between there and Hughesville.