any Mini's available for placement?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have a friend looking to adopt a mini as his little girls first horse. She's crazy for horses already and told him she wants a REAL one now LOL.

I offered to help him find one. So if you know anyone looking to place a mini please let me know. Doesn't necessarily have to be free, but I sort-of assumed that he could find one free this time of year with the economy the way it is.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I have a friend looking to adopt a mini as his little girls first horse. She's crazy for horses already and told him she wants a REAL one now LOL.

I offered to help him find one. So if you know anyone looking to place a mini please let me know. Doesn't necessarily have to be free, but I sort-of assumed that he could find one free this time of year with the economy the way it is.

I do know of one. Could you please post or pm me with more information? Is this person knowledgeable and experienced with horses? Do they have a place to keep it? Etc?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I have a friend that has, I believe he's 3 or 4, a black mini gelding. She's wanting to sell him, all they do is feed him, and he just plays with the two other horses. She lives in Danville (hmmm i think thats the right city), close to Wheatlys tack shop.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm in the process of helping to screen "free to good home" mini's for the Dad now, so I'll let you know if he wants to see the sale mini's also.

Does anyone have any comments about kids riding the mini's and about guidance on how much weight the mini's can COMFORTABLY carry? I'd like to be sure to pair the child up with an appropriately sized mini that will be a good match for some time to come.

Thanks.

I have a friend that has, I believe he's 3 or 4, a black mini gelding. She's wanting to sell him, all they do is feed him, and he just plays with the two other horses. She lives in Danville (hmmm i think thats the right city), close to Wheatlys tack shop.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I'm in the process of helping to screen "free to good home" mini's for the Dad now, so I'll let you know if he wants to see the sale mini's also.

Does anyone have any comments about kids riding the mini's and about guidance on how much weight the mini's can COMFORTABLY carry? I'd like to be sure to pair the child up with an appropriately sized mini that will be a good match for some time to come.

Thanks.

AMHA says under 70 pds. But 70 sounds kinda heavy for a mini to me... :eyebrow:

AMERICAN MINIATURE HORSE ASSOCIATION

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I would expect that mini's range in size also - so maybe there may be a way to guage for mini's as we do for regular horses based on the horse's weight? I'll look at the website to see what other information they may have.

That site says that minis weigh between 150-250 pds. With horses a generally accepted limit is 20% of the horse's body weight. Now, that's not always accurate because a very overweight horse can't carry more weight than a fit horse. They already are carrying extra weight. But, if you went by the same 20% the mini rider would be 30-50 pds. But, I know nothing about mini's so, may their compact size is what allows for the greater weight ratio.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've heard many times ponies can carry a higher ratio of weight too - but I wouldn't want to push that limit on any horse regularly. It can't be easy for them to handle a heavy rider like that for long rides, or repeatedly over and over? I'd not want to chance it personally.

I had no clue the mini's were so small. Sort of assumed they may range from 150-400 or so? not to 250. I was expecting there to be a greater weight range for them as we have in horses.

Depending on the girls weight, they may find themselves looking for a small pony instead.

That site says that minis weigh between 150-250 pds. With horses a generally accepted limit is 20% of the horse's body weight. Now, that's not always accurate because a very overweight horse can't carry more weight than a fit horse. They already are carrying extra weight. But, if you went by the same 20% the mini rider would be 30-50 pds. But, I know nothing about mini's so, may their compact size is what allows for the greater weight ratio.

MorganLover

i have seen 3 to 4 year olds on mini's but they are small children. it was the cuties thing ever. i would love to see my dd on a mini but i think 3 years old is just too young IMO of coarse. See if CeAnne can get one from the farm she just got hers from, they may have one available and i think it was in VA.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It's looking like they may have to consider a small pony for this little girl. I think it would be a better long term investment for the pony and the little girl to have one that she can ride a long time.

i have seen 3 to 4 year olds on mini's but they are small children. it was the cuties thing ever. i would love to see my dd on a mini but i think 3 years old is just too young IMO of coarse. See if CeAnne can get one from the farm she just got hers from, they may have one available and i think it was in VA.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
i rode a 12 hand pony till I was 21.. but i wasn't over 115 pounds till that time.. the pony club recommended weight limit is 117 for under 12.2 hands.. and my guy was a chunky boy..

my 3 year old rides a 13.2 hand pony and did really well in leadline unattached for.. the pony has a softer mouth than my 12 hand pony did..

so its all in whats safe and thats the most important thing.. hope you find a good safe match to help your child build confidence on!!