Any Painting Ladies?

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I am tempted to paint my walls myself. Is it too big a job?

Painting sucks!! Usually I start.. and hubby walks in
Him: WTF are you doing?
Me: Painting
Him: That's not how you do it
Me: :confused: It's not?
Him: No!
Me: Well like this?(as i drip paint on the floor)
Him: Oh here let me do it, you're not doing it right
Me: Okay (as I sit back and watch)

Perfectly painted walls everytime :lol:

I did buy this cool program at Lowes the other day for $5. You take a pic of your room, upload it and you can paint the walls on your computer to see how it will look when it's done. Pretty cool to try out different shades and colors. It will also tell you which shades they recommend you put with your major color!

Last edited:

Geek

Painting sucks!! Usually I start.. and hubby walks in:

Him: WTF are you doing?
Me: Painting
Him: That's not how you do it
Me: :confused: It's not?
Him: No!
Me: Well like this?(as i drip paint on the floor)
Him: Oh here let me do it, you're not doing it right
Me: Okay (as I sit back and watch)

Perfectly painted walls everytime :lol:

I did buy this cool program at Lowes the other day for $5. You take a pic of your room, upload it and you can't paint the walls on your computer to see how it will look when it's done. Pretty cool to try out different shades and colors. It will also tell you which shades they recommend you put with your major color!

With the kids and the dogs I wonder if I shouldn't just hang a lot more pictures. :lol:

I need to do trim and ceilings as well. I am not sure where I would start.
I do:
Ceiling
walls
trim

Allow yourself several days to complete your project.

Since this is your first time, before you start, have as much stuff out of the room as humanly possible. The remainder should be completely covered. If you don't want to ruin your carpets/flooring... make sure all of that is completely covered as well. In fact, you should tape the entire perimeter so that when you are doing the bottom trim, you can paint away without damage.

I recommend you use ceiling paint for your ceilings, it is a different consistence thus making for less splatter. Also, wear hair and eye protection if possible because you will be painting over your head and you will get some on you. Have paint remover and cleaning towels, products, etc. on hand so you can clean up as you go along... much easier than trying to remove dried paint.

Your biggest headache will be the windows. :dead:

Geek

I do:
Ceiling
walls
trim

Allow yourself several days to complete your project.

Since this is your first time, before you start, have as much stuff out of the room as humanly possible. There remainder should be completely covered. If you don't want to ruin your carpets/flooring... make sure all of that is completely covered as well. In fact, you should tape the entire perimeter so that when you are doing the bottom trim, you can paint away without damage.

I recommend you use ceiling paint for your ceilings, it is a different consistence thus making for less splatter. Also, wear hair and eye protection if possible because you will be painting over your head and you will get some on you. Have paint remover and cleaning towels, products, etc. on hand so you can clean up as you go along... much easier than trying to remove dried paint.

Your biggest headache will be the windows. :dead:

In what order should I do stuff?

In what order should I do stuff?

I laid it out for you in the last post. Do all the setup FIRST. Removal, covering, taping stuff off, Oh yeah I forgot to mention... get the handy dandy screw driver out and remove ALL socket/switch covers then lightly tape over the sockets/switches. Also remove ALL curtain/drapery hardware from walls. Only once you've done all the prep work should you begin painting... ceiling, walls, then trim. I save the windows for last and usually I'm so fed up with painting everthing else I skip the windows and I just re-hang the curtains and keep them closed. :smile:

I didn't even bother to tell you about spackling to cover up nail holes and flaws in the walls. Did you want to go there? :eyebrow:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I laid it out for you in the last post. Do all the setup FIRST. Removal, covering, taping stuff off, Oh yeah I forgot to mention... get the handy dandy screw driver out and remove ALL socket/switch covers then lightly tape over the sockets/switches. Also remove ALL curtain/drapery hardware from walls. Only once you've done all the prep work should you begin painting... ceiling, walls, then trim. I save the windows for last and usually I'm so fed up with painting everthing else I skip the windows and I just re-hang the curtains and keep them closed. :smile:

I didn't even bother to tell you about spackling to cover up nail holes and flaws in the walls. Did you want to go there? :eyebrow:

You do wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much :lol: I never tape, I use a slanted brush around trim and ceilings. I don't spackle holes up, I rehang the pictures in the same place.
And I don't do ceilings anymore, with my back acting up. :biggrin:

Geek

I think I am going to have to spackle and sandpaper some flaws in my trim. Doors, cabinets. I am skeered but Polish and determined!!!

You do wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much :lol: I never tape, I use a slanted brush around trim and ceilings. I don't spackle holes up, I rehang the pictures in the same place.
And I don't do ceilings anymore, with my back acting up. :biggrin:

I don't do all of that prep work anymore after all the painting I've done in the past few years, but this is her first time. She has NO idea the work ahead of her one way or the other. Besides, she has small children, doing all the prep work up front saves TONS of time. I would think time would be important to her.

I think I am going to have to spackle and sandpaper some flaws in my trim. Doors, cabinets. I am skeered but Polish and determined!!!
Woah, woah, woah... cabinets are a whole 'nother story... are they already painted and you will just be painting over top the existing paint? :eyebrow:

Cowgirl

Holy crap...Geek! How old are you? You've NEVER painted a room? :faint: It's not hard. Just do it. :yay:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I don't do all of that prep work anymore after all the painting I've done in the past few years, but this is her first time. She has NO idea the work ahead of her one way or the other. Besides, she has small children, doing all the prep work up front saves TONS of time. I would think time would be important to her.

True...she should hire painters!

Geek

Holy crap...Geek! How old are you? You've NEVER painted a room? :faint: It's not hard. Just do it. :yay:

I have helped paint many times. I have not sneaky painted on my own yet. I think I will try to do just a little at a time. I have a few days off, if I am organized I am hoping to get the living areas done by Christmas.