Any Painting Ladies?

I have helped paint many times. I have not sneaky painted on my own yet. I think I will try to do just a little at a time. I have a few days off, if I am organized I am hoping to get the living areas done by Christmas.
Oh, please let us know how that works for you...:cheers: :giggle:

Cowgirl

I have helped paint many times. I have not sneaky painted on my own yet. I think I will try to do just a little at a time. I have a few days off, if I am organized I am hoping to get the living areas done by Christmas.

Well good luck! Oh, we love before and after pics. :wink:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I am replying to this thread because I want to be subscribed to it for the results story....Should be very interesting....:whistle:

ShyGirl

Everything Kwilia said and...

What about sanding the walls and wiping them down in order to create a clean surface the paint will stick to?

Are you changing colors? If you are putting a light color over a dark color, you probably need a coat of primer first. If you are painting with a dark color, you will probably need to plan for several coats of paint.

Prep first, then ceilings, then edging, then walls, then windows, molding and baseboards.

I would buy several plastic paint trays, extra roller inserts, a fair sized paint brush to do the edging and corners, a smaller paint brush to do the windows, molding and baseboards.

Good luck!

Everything Kwilia said and...

What about sanding the walls and wiping them down in order to create a clean surface the paint will stick to?

Are you changing colors? If you are putting a light color over a dark color, you probably need a coat of primer first. If you are painting with a dark color, you will probably need to plan for several coats of paint.

Prep first, then ceilings, then edging, then walls, then windows, molding and baseboards.

I would buy several plastic paint trays, extra roller inserts, a fair sized paint brush to do the edging and corners, a smaller paint brush to do the windows, molding and baseboards.

Good luck!
Alll good info! Oh yeah if you have a septic system, do NOT do your paintbrush/roller/etc. cleanup indoors.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I know a secret to creating faux leather finish walls in two steps vs the usual 7. :whistle:

Painting is not rocket science -- it just takes good planning/prep as Kwillia outlined earlier. The extra effort in prepping the room to paint will pay off in the long run, ESPECIALLY if you've never done it before. Having a steady hand to trim out tight spots is not as easy as it looks.

Lusbymom -- does that program you bought only let you do one room per purchase, or can you keep changing out your picture and use it for different rooms?

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I know a secret to creating faux leather finish walls in two steps vs the usual 7. :whistle:

Painting is not rocket science -- it just takes good planning/prep as Kwillia outlined earlier. The extra effort in prepping the room to paint will pay off in the long run, ESPECIALLY if you've never done it before. Having a steady hand to trim out tight spots is not as easy as it looks.

Lusbymom -- does that program you bought only let you do one room per purchase, or can you keep changing out your picture and use it for different rooms?

You can do as many rooms/pictures as you want. It's called Virtual Painter. I have virtually painted several rooms already.

W

Wenchy

Not professional by any means, but I got it done. Still trimwork and electric covers to put back on. Between the taping, spackling/sanding, primer and three coats it spanned four days, but only a total of maybe 5 hours actual labor.

The rest of the house will be easy because this is my only "REDRUM".

Any tips on painting paneling?

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 79
  • primer!.jpg
    primer!.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 78
  • flame2.jpg
    flame2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 76
  • flame3.jpg
    flame3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 74

Pandora

Not professional by any means, but I got it done. Still trimwork and electric covers to put back on. Between the taping, spackling/sanding, primer and three coats it spanned four days, but only a total of maybe 5 hours actual labor.

THAT is a huge improvement. I have a secret that will save time. Lowes sells this $2.00 edger square, it is supposed to be a use once and tossed but I've rinsed mine out and used it in 2 bathrooms and in the hall/foyer and I think it can survive the downstairs bathroom before I toss it. It saves so much time versus taping and painting the cut out parts.

BTW, that red color is the same as my upstairs 'den area' and although terrified when I put the color up, it has become my favorite room in the house. Too bad I didn't know that was what you were going with ahead of time because I have almost an entire can here. I was short about 1 cup of paint in that room over the 1 gallon I had put up. I am also short about 1 cup of paint in the foyer. I brushed out the one gallon I put up there until the can was bone dry (hubby just went to Lowes to pick up another can - sucks). :lol: But I'll tell you what, HUGE improvement over the previous color!

I'm getting ready to make a bold move and recreate my kitchen to Rustic Autobond - it is the same color as one of the rooms at Corbel's in Leonardtown and the waitress was nice enough to get all the information I need to do this - said many have inquired. I've been very brave with color lately and so far, so good! You'll have to see my chocolate bathroom. Sounds yucky but it turned out GREAT!!!

Last edited:
L

luckystar

Wow. Your "REDRUM" looks amazing! I like the painting, too :)