Anybody watching the news right now?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Anyone see anything about the Pentagon and Skyline Complex having a mailroom incident? Seems one of the chemical-biologic sensors went off at the Pentagon reception building last week. One went off today at 3 PM in a Skyline mail room. Now we're all on lockdown for at least another two hours. Send Pizza! :twitch:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
morganj614 said:
Are you being entertained? :moon: :cheers: :popcorn:

Actually, I'm reading the Joke Thread on one of the private forums. The others in the office wonder why I'm turning purple as I hold in my guffaws!

They tell us we can leave in about another hour but they're offering us antibiotics if we want 'em. :barf:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Lenny said:
Anyone see anything about the Pentagon and Skyline Complex having a mailroom incident? Seems one of the chemical-biologic sensors went off at the Pentagon reception building last week. One went off today at 3 PM in a Skyline mail room. Now we're all on lockdown for at least another two hours. Send Pizza! :twitch:

What Skyline building are you in? And are you talking about the mailroom downstairs after you get off of the elevator, just before you hit the "mall"?

Biochemical Hazard Detectors Send Warning At Fairfax Co. Facility

Hazardous materials teams are on the scene of a possible biohazard detected at a Department of Defense mail facility in the Baileys Crossroads section of Fairfax County.

The area was sealed off as hazmat crews entered the facility to determine if there is a problem. One official said it would be an extended operation.

Fairfax County Fire spokesman Lt. Raul Castillo said at about 2 p.m. a biochemical hazard detector went off at the mail-sorting facility, sending a warning of a substance in the air.

Fire officials do not know what the substance is -- powder or liquid. None of the occupants of the building is being allowed to leave.

News4 reported that testing has not found anthrax.

News4 has learned that shutting down the facility is a precaution following an evacuation of a mail-sorting facility near the Pentagon earlier in the day. In that incident, a sensor alerted staff of possible anthrax, but tests there came back negative.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Now they made everybody in the building go wash our faces and hands. This doesn't sound good.

BAILEYS CROSSROADS, Va. - A tense situation Monday inside Skyline Towers near Baileys Crossroads.
Hazardous materials teams are in an office building that handles the mail for the Department of Defense inside Five Skyline Drive.

An alarm that indicates a biological or chemical agent went off inside the mailroom.

The ventilation system has been shut down, and everyone has been told to stay in the building while the Fairfax County Fire Department conducts air tests.

A Fairfax County Fire Department spokesman says no one is hurt. But as a precaution, no one is being allowed to leave the facility.

A similar alarm went off this morning inside a Pentagon mailroom, but it's unclear whether the incidents are connected.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
We're in bulding six and the affected mailroom is on eight. They effectively shut down the entire complex (from what little we hear) and have cleared most of the complex except out building. Our office picked up mail this morning so we and the mailroom will be the last to leave. Others have gone home (including the news trucks as best we can tell from what little we see out the windows)

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
kwillia said:
BAILEYS CROSSROADS, Va. - A tense situation Monday inside Skyline Towers near Baileys Crossroads.
Hazardous materials teams are in an office building that handles the mail for the Department of Defense inside Five Skyline Drive.

An alarm that indicates a biological or chemical agent went off inside the mailroom.

The ventilation system has been shut down, and everyone has been told to stay in the building while the Fairfax County Fire Department conducts air tests.

A Fairfax County Fire Department spokesman says no one is hurt. But as a precaution, no one is being allowed to leave the facility.

A similar alarm went off this morning inside a Pentagon mailroom, but it's unclear whether the incidents are connected.

Kwilla, my love, you have given us more info in the past six minutes than anyone trying to save us has given. We're getting uncomfortable here with no air conditioning and they have now stopped us from using the necessaries.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
:fingerscrossed: Just curious as I know 3 or more of the Skyline buildings (at least) used to be "linked" through that mall and central mail room. If I remember correctly, that is.

Hope it all works out okay and that when you get home, you'll breathe a sigh of relief and be grateful for the extra safety measures taken for your protection. :shrug:

Thoughts your way, VV.

foxnews.com

Sensors at two military mail facilities in the Washington area detected signs of anthrax on two pieces of mail, but the mail had already been irradiated, rendering any anthrax inert, defense officials told FOX News late Monday.

Officials weren't sure if this was an attack. Additional tests and other sensors at the two facilities, one of them at the Pentagon and the other nearby, found no presence of the bacteria, which can be used as a biological weapon. There were no initial reports of illness.

The Pentagon's mail delivery site, which is separate from the main Pentagon building, was evacuated and shut down Monday after sensors triggered an alarm around 10:30 a.m. EST, spokesman Glenn Flood said. It was expected to remain closed until at least Tuesday while the investigation continued.

While subsequent tests proved negative, the appearance of the bacteria is now the target of a criminal investigation by the FBI, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local law enforcement. The substance will be further tested at a facility at Ft. Meade, Md.

It was not clear when sensors at the second Defense Department mailroom were triggered Monday, and Pentagon officials only said a nearby satellite mail facility was closed. But firefighters in nearby Bailey's Crossroads, Va., reported that a military mailroom had been shut down after a hazardous material was detected, and no one was allowed to leave that building.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
morganj614 said:
Seems to me they would have evacuated you :confused:

If we're contaminated we don't want to take anything home with us. They would decontaminate us (oh, oh, now they're tell us to shower head-to-toe when we get home). One floor is being released right now (we have been told we'd be the last of 9). May take 15 minutes per floor so it's gonna be late B-4 we get out of here.

morganj614

Lenny said:
If we're contaminated we don't want to take anything home with us. They would decontaminate us (oh, oh, now they're tell us to shower head-to-toe when we get home). One floor is being released right now (we have been told we'd be the last of 9). May take 15 minutes per floor so it's gonna be late B-4 we get out of here.

I hope everything is okay and you all get home safely!

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
G'morning peeps, I just got home. They kept us a Skyline and made us all bag up our clothing and belongings. Took long showers and got us into paper coveralls and space blankets. Sat around couple hours doing paperwork and waiting for news on what we may have been exposed to. Nothing to report yet but they didn't let us have our clothes, shoes, wallets, watches, etc. back. 'cause I showered with my car key, driver license and credit cards, I was able to drive home.

Now we wait for the lab at Ft Detrick to tell us if it was anthrax or not. Be a couple days. In the meantime they want us back in the city tomorrow to see if we should be taking antibiotics as a precaution. I'll keep ya posted but right now I need to get to bed.