Anyone else buying a home?

dfonv003

SOMD Photographer
Anyone just buy a home or looking for one? Where did you begin your search? I know of homes database.com, but where else did you look?

sm8

If you are wanting to buy locally and know about where you want your best bet might be to drive thru neighborhoods and look.

TPD

the poor dad
I've been considering something in Florida. Have heard prices were dirt cheap, and with interest rates at all time lows, now is the time! Although I should wait till after Romney is elected. Since he is taking away ss from all the seniors, they will be moving out of Florida and headed to Europe...

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Try FranklyMLS.com Virginia & MD, DC MLS data via Keyword Search. from what I have used when searching it is the closest thing to the MRIS system realtors use. I seen alot of houses on Zillow.com and homes.com that had been under contract for over a month and neither of those sites even mentioned it. Big shocker when talking to our agent and we got excited to see those houses to find out they are no longer available.

We used Home Town Realty for our agent, and 1st mariner for financing. Everything was smooth stress free and we closed on the date we picked 2 months prior. We had Ervin Parker as our agent, Jeffrey Gay was our finance officer.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Yes I use realtor.com and zillow but more importantly a realtor. Not all listings are on these websites or of they are not as quick. Although the market around here is kind of soft I'm getting about 8 viewings a week.

dfonv003

SOMD Photographer
Wow thanks for all the feedback. This will certainly help. I really like the fanklymls site!

Bavarian

I've been considering something in Florida. Have heard prices were dirt cheap, and with interest rates at all time lows, now is the time! Although I should wait till after Romney is elected. Since he is taking away ss from all the seniors, they will be moving out of Florida and headed to Europe...

Anyone 55 or older will keep the existing Medicare and Social Security. Are you one of those mindless Obama zombies?

pelers

If you're a USAA member they have a nice program that'll set you up with a realtor. Also includes cash incentives (or did when we bought 2.5 years ago) :yahoo:

I checked out lots of houses online, primarily sawbuck.com as well as the various realtor sites. Make yourself a list of what all you want in a house (how many beds, bathrooms, etc) and a realtor can probably hook you up with some houses that fit the bill. I know in my neighborhood we have 3 (town)houses or so up for sale right now but I can't for the life of me find listings for them anywhere!

If you're a USAA member they have a nice program that'll set you up with a realtor. Also includes cash incentives (or did when we bought 2.5 years ago) :yahoo:

I checked out lots of houses online, primarily sawbuck.com as well as the various realtor sites. Make yourself a list of what all you want in a house (how many beds, bathrooms, etc) and a realtor can probably hook you up with some houses that fit the bill. I know in my neighborhood we have 3 (town)houses or so up for sale right now but I can't for the life of me find listings for them anywhere!

Did not know that, thanx for the info. I passed this on to my daughter who is also starting the search for a new home.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
We just bought about a month and a half ago, and we used an agent. Trying to keep up with what's actually available through the various websites turned out to be a bit of a pain. In the end, it actually didn't matter since we ended up building, and not buying an existing home, but after having gone through that I would strongly recommend you get yourself a good realtor that's familiar with the area you are interested in.

And it's been my experience that many of the realtors around here specialize in fairly small regions, so if you get an agent that really knows say, Prince Fredrick, that same agent will probably not be very familiar with Great Mills. So find where it is you want to be, then find someone that really knows that area to represent you.

SoMDGirl42

When I bought, my agent gave me some good advice. Told me to drive around areas I was interested in. If I liked the outside, then we made a list and went to look inside. It narrowed down my time I spent looking at houses I didn't even like from outside. Found one I liked, and bought it.

flyingdog

We found our home on Military by Owner. It was a dream come true and at a great rate since we saved on realtor fees. We did use a realtor in the closing process but at a reduced rate since a lot of the work was done. Deprecated Browser Error

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We're using USAA Mover's advantage, which set us up with a Century 21 agent at each end of the move.

For research we get the MLS listing from our agent and also go to Zillow, Refin, and Realtor.com...

Used the classifieds here on SoMD forums to find a couple of possibles on short term rentals as I move out there on Friday to join my wife.

acommondisaster

franklymls was a HUGE helper when my son was looking. the filter is so granular, you really can zero right in on what you want. We thought we'd exhausted all the houses they'd be interested in until we used the search feature that allowed us to put in a work address and filter by how far away a property was from his work. It gave us location options we'd never considered - and he found his dream house. IN VIRGINIA.

We built, getting to be so much cheaper than the houses on the market. We went conventional with 10 percent down and paid off the mortgage insurance up front. If you don't have a lot to put down, look into the USDA loan program.