anyone goto the hay auction???

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
just wondering what kind of hay they hay and what price it brought...

All types of hay from alfalfa, orchard, timothy, lespedeza. NOTHING under six dollars a bale. I got some really nice bales at $6. Big and heavy; I only took forty of the lot but am kicking myself because I should have bought the entire lot.

The large square bales went $132 each (canary grass alf mixed kiln dried in Canada). I got some of those too. They were SUPER long and I couldn't fit them in my barn door (which is 8 foot long). I brought them home and broke them in two then rachet strapped each side. Makes two round bale size square bales so I can use them in my feeder. I also found that they stack SUPER nice like that. I just may not use rounds any more because it was so easy to do and cheaper than I can get rounds for right now.

No round bales for the first sale. Should have some the next sale. I will do the high/low report when I get a chance. Hopefully later today.

ElliesMom

I heard those HUGE ubersquare bales were really nice and that there were a few left on the lot? If so what do they do with them?? Are they available for purchase, or stuff that people couldnt haul at that moment?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
I heard those HUGE ubersquare bales were really nice and that there were a few left on the lot? If so what do they do with them?? Are they available for purchase, or stuff that people couldnt haul at that moment?

The rest will be sold at the next auction which is on the thrid Sat. If you need something before then, PM me and I can set you up. If you want to see what they look like on the inside, you can come on over to my place in Mechanicsville and I'll show you.

They are EXTREMELY nice. I opened up mine and they are very leafy. More grass than alfalfa which is what I like. The absolute BEST hay.

natbugs

can you haul them on a 1 ton pick up truck or do you need a fork lift or tractor to load on a trailer?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
can you haul them on a 1 ton pick up truck or do you need a fork lift or tractor to load on a trailer?

They have a fork lift to load it for you. Folks have taken as many as two in the back of a F250 for short distances. One on top of the other. Not sure how they got them out of the truck. Probably broke them apart. They peal off in flakes just like small square bales.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The rest will be sold at the next auction which is on the thrid Sat. If you need something before then, PM me and I can set you up. If you want to see what they look like on the inside, you can come on over to my place in Mechanicsville and I'll show you.

They are EXTREMELY nice. I opened up mine and they are very leafy. More grass than alfalfa which is what I like. The absolute BEST hay.
i thought you weren't suppose to sell it outside of the sale?

Finofan

Here there and everywhere
That batch was bought by the auction to ensure the sale would have plenty of hay. The auction can decide to sell its hay as the board sees fit. Since I'm a board member, well . . . .

And there you have it :banana:

Busterduck how is your ass doing?

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
gotta love the perks on being on the 'ins' with the right folks! (its a good thing)

Sale Date Product Name Low Price High Price Average Price
11/3/2007 Alfalfa $6.00 $6.25 $6.16
11/3/2007 Alfalfa Mixed $6.30 $6.30 $6.30
11/3/2007 Large 1000# Sq $132.00 $132.00 $132.00
11/3/2007 Oats (100# Bag) $11.00 $13.00 $12.00
11/3/2007 Orchard Grass $6.00 $8.35 $7.15
11/3/2007 Sweet Potatos (box) $6.00 $6.00 $6.00
11/3/2007 Shelled Corn (bushel) $4.50 $5.50 $5.00
11/3/2007 Straw $2.00 $3.00 $2.50
11/3/2007 Timothy Mixed $6.30 $6.30 $6.30

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
WOW, I cant imagine what the prices are going to be come Febuary for hay...if there is any. Loveville henyard had hay for $10.00 a bale.:yikes:

I remember when I was a kid my daddy would buy a truck load delivered and put in the high hay loft (no elevator, mind ya) for 1 $ a bale.

natbugs

I live in Clavert and as a kid Judge Bowen would bring me a truck load of of beautiful , heavy orchard grass hay ...I had to bake him a batch of Chocolate Chip cookies....those were the days

ElliesMom

Luckily now we have the internet and a whole slew of local connections. You'll be able to come by stuff, price negotiable.

Thanks busterduck for keeping me able to dissiminate hay info to my pals.

goofy-grape

WOW, I cant imagine what the prices are going to be come Febuary for hay...if there is any. Loveville henyard had hay for $10.00 a bale.:yikes:

I remember when I was a kid my daddy would buy a truck load delivered and put in the high hay loft (no elevator, mind ya) for 1 $ a bale.

those were the days! :lmao:

10.00 for a bale of hay is nuts!

Carefulone

How heavy are the 6 dollar bales. I'm in Ca. pay from 12 to 15 dollars a bale, but they usually weigh about 130 lbs? What are heavy bales? I have property in the poconos, in Pa. and may move some of my horses there this summer, want to know what to expect.
I actually have never heard of a hay auction. I usually take a truck and a long bed to Nevada and buy 4 to 6 tons to get the price down?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
How heavy are the 6 dollar bales. I'm in Ca. pay from 12 to 15 dollars a bale, but they usually weigh about 130 lbs? What are heavy bales? I have property in the poconos, in Pa. and may move some of my horses there this summer, want to know what to expect.
I actually have never heard of a hay auction. I usually take a truck and a long bed to Nevada and buy 4 to 6 tons to get the price down?
130lb squares?? are they "small" bales? WOW, they are huge.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
That batch was bought by the auction to ensure the sale would have plenty of hay. The auction can decide to sell its hay as the board sees fit. Since I'm a board member, well . . . .

I'm not sure i understand what you mean "since you're a board member". It is an individual board members decision or option to sell it as he/she sees fit or did they as a group decide to sell it outside of the auction?

Is the Auction house is now a hay reseller, and the hay left over will sell for the previous auction prices until the NEXT auction date? Or just that particular load?

At what price? The highest? Lowest? Median? That would be a great thing, provided there is any left over.

Last edited:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
I'm not sure i understand what you mean "since you're a board member". It is an individual board members decision or option to sell it as he/she sees fit or did they as a group decide to sell it outside of the auction?

Is the Auction house is now a hay reseller, and the hay left over will sell for the previous auction prices until the NEXT auction date? Or just that particular load?

At what price? The highest? Lowest? Median? That would be a great thing, provided there is any left over.

What is your problem?

Anyone interested in buying some large squares can either wait until the next auction or pm me.

Happy, if you TRULY want to know the inner workings of the auction then just give me a call; you have my number.

Thanks

Juicey

What is your problem?

Anyone interested in buying some large squares can either wait until the next auction or pm me.

Happy, if you TRULY want to know the inner workings of the auction then just give me a call; you have my number.

Thanks

I usually keep to myself and just watch the threads but I have got to say this..... :whistle::whistle: IS HAPPY EVER HAPPY ABOUT ANYTHING:whistle: