Anyone had cats who suddenly hate each other?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My ex and I suddenly hated each other and we didn't even have cats. We had a dog. Maybe it was the dog's fault.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I was supposed to take Boone to the vet yesterday to see if there was anything that could be done to get him to stop being so paranoid and hiss whenever he "thinks" Gracie is around. He will hiss at the door when she is on the steps I guess. The vet called about 5 minutes before I was about to leave and said they forgot to tell me I had to fill out a questionnaire online and submit it before my appointment. They rescheduled my appointment for Friday. I went online and the questionnaire is 15 pages long. I'd have to draw diagrams of my house's layout too. 99% of the questions were non-applicable to Boone's situation.

Called the vet and canceled the appointment and made one with a different vet. I may call and ask to bring Gracie in too. She seems scared to even venture upstairs even if Boone is locked away somewhere. I worry that if the vet "fixes" Boone, Gracie won't know it's safe because she won't ever come up (or stay up if we bring her up). Plus I am wondering how they'd react to each other in a "neutral" environment.

I wish there was some sort of "boot camp" that I could just leave them at the vet together for a few days until their issues are worked out. Have them bond with each other in a neutral place. If we can ever get them together again, I am definitely planning on keeping the cardboard on the sliding glass door permanently. Removing it thinking the cat was gone was my downfall and caused this whole mess it seems.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Went to Three Notch Vet yesterday. They are going to prescribe anxiety meds for Boone. They didn't have any on hand so it will be delivered to my house in a few days. I hope this works. Been almost 2 months since Boone and Gracie saw each other and while both are fine with the situation, I want them to get along and for Gracie to be able to come upstairs.

PJay

I admit, not a cat person myself, except once one picked me and it's hard to type this without tears rolling down my face. She was more like a dog because she followed me and loved me so much. Her passing tore my heart out of the frame. God I miss her. There will not be another like her.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Put both of them in a dog crate together. They will work it out.
I have actually thought about letting them work it out themselves. Open the door and see what happens. Maybe if I had done that, it would have been over by now. :sshrug: But Boone sprayed the last time they went at it and I really don't want him doing that all over the house until things got worked out.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Saw some progress this morning. Boone was only on anxiety medication for about a week and I stopped it. It was causing him to drool and foam at the mouth. He hasn't had any for a few days now.

Boone and Gracie were playing with each other underneath the door. However when I went to open it to test the water, he started to run away. I am happy to see that he at least seems interested in Gracie now and isn't so triggered by her.

Hopefully this will lead to other things and eventually they can be reunited.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
As of last Friday, Gracie has been freed from the basement and is now living back amongst the rest of us! :bann:Boone and Gracie finally got to the point where they can co-exist with minimal hissing. I think most of the hissing now is Boone trying to play with Gracie like he used to and Gracie still being pissed that she was locked downstairs for the last 2 months. It will take some time but 90% of the time, they are perfectly fine together now. These pictures were taken on Sunday.

Attachments

• boone_gracie1.jpg
    boone_gracie1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 129
  • boone_gracie2.jpg
    boone_gracie2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 123

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'm no expert, but I think cats, and all animals, may no longer have the parts but still have the drive.

Boone probably tried to make a move on Gracie, and she smacked him for it. And she was mad at him for a long time. Now he's calmed down, and they can be friends again.

My cats do the same thing every spring, I just make them work it out. He eventually gives up, and everyone is friends again.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm no expert, but I think cats, and all animals, may no longer have the parts but still have the drive.

Boone probably tried to make a move on Gracie, and she smacked him for it. And she was mad at him for a long time. Now he's calmed down, and they can be friends again.

My cats do the same thing every spring, I just make them work it out. He eventually gives up, and everyone is friends again.
No, that wasn't it. He has never made moves on Gracie whatsoever.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
More success this morning. Gracie used the upstairs litter box with Boone nearby. We were thinking that Boone might consider those boxes "his" now and apparently Gracie did too until this morning. Even with being upstairs since Friday, she would always go back downstairs to use those litter boxes if needed.

I also was able to feed them together this morning. Gracie was too nervous to eat next to Boone so I was having to take her food downstairs so she'd eat. I would keep trying to set her food down near his but she would just walk away. This morning, I put it down and both ate with no issues. I truly hope this means that things will go back to normal again. The whole situation stressed me out 1000 times more than it did the cats. :lol: