Anyone have a pony that needs a good home?

breezy9999

Looking for a pony for my kids that can be trail ridden and loved on. My daughter is taking over my horse and I would love to be able to ride her again LOL. Would be nice to have something small enough she can tack up herself and groom. It's hard for her to pick out hooves and reach with a saddle on my mare. Looking for something free to low cost. Not trying to show or anything fancy with the pony. Let me know if you guys know or hear of anything. No rush, just putting this out there in case something comes along.. Thanks:)

HorseQueen

You should look into "Camelot". They are based out of Southern New Jersey, but you may find a pony that would work fairly cheap if you do not mind going to pick him/her up. They have auctions each week. The horses that end up at Camelot have one week to find a home before going back into the pen to be auctioned off, some to slaughter. Most weeks they have a wide range of ponies. I know people who personally have gotten horses from there and they have turned out great.

breezy9999

I have been thinking about that, just worries me I don't know thier past and my kids would be around them. I guess it's worth looking into though. I looked on rescue websites too.

HorseQueen

That's understandable. If you "like" Camelot Horse Weekly on Facebook there are a couple volunteers who personally make notes of each horse that Camelot takes in. The people personally interact with the horses, and some even come with registration papers.

Good luck with your search!

ewashkow

I forgot about Pine Woods Farm in PA. They have a pony gelding named Moe. 7 hands, 7 years. Here is the youtube video of him-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkvdz-wA05g

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Be very careful dealing with AC$H they misrepresent their horses often. Several Local people got horses from them. DO your Research, They are a scam!

highnote

Be very careful dealing with AC$H they misrepresent their horses often. Several Local people got horses from them. DO your Research, They are a scam!

I agree with CountryLady- many of the "broker" type equine rescues are scams. Anyone can look good on a website or the internet. Unfortunately some less scrupulous so-called animal "rescues" often prey on unsuspecting kind hearted people who love animals. It's an easy way to get money from people... post photos of poor dying horses, and watch the money roll in. Many donors don't even check to see if they are a true 501(c) organization.

It's sad that it has come to this, but please do your own unbiased research. I'm not saying they are all scams, but some are. A draft horse rescue that was very popular on facebook recently had some serious legal trouble. And check out the rabbit "rescue" just reported on the bayNet... they found 265 rabbits, 222 of which were in such bad health & living conditions they had to be seized. Rescue? I think not.

Calvert Police Rescue Rabbits - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

breezy9999

Ugh i heard about the rabbits, i don't get it! I will definitely check out any rescue i go to. Days end is pretty great, have a friend that has adopted and is getting another soon from them. She loves her rescue! Thanks alot guys!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
People are always giving away horses and ponies down here. It's great when they find a home for an unwanted horse. But then you have stories like this.

A Riverview man is facing charges after police say he left his horse to die in a Riverview park.

Eugene Beard was arrested on charges of animal cruelty and abandonment on Aug. 1. Deputies said he failed to feed the horse for an extended period of time, then walked the horse to the Stephen J. Wortham County Park and left her there.

Two days later, on the afternoon of July 17, a jogger found the 14-year-old horse, whose name is Cheri. Cheri was wasting away, her ribs visible. The jogger contacted RVR Horse Rescue in Riverview and volunteers stepped in.

Thoroughbred horse left to die in Riverview park

So glad someone stepped in to help.