Anyone in St. Mary's County or Calvert County use UBER?

swm462

I was curious if they operate down here. How was your experience? Seems like it would be a good idea instead of driving drunk. I know there aren't many taxi's down here.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Quite a a few obviously do..based on my conversations with someone who is a regular uber driver living in Calvert county/Solomons area.

Yes- i used them Thursday night in Lexington Park. The driver was there within 10 minutes. They have a facebook page as well. SOMD UBER.

sexy_pants

I was curious if they operate down here. How was your experience? Seems like it would be a good idea instead of driving drunk. I know there aren't many taxi's down here.

I have used uber 5 times in St. Mary's. Each time has been great with no complaints.

Erk

I've been using Uber for about 4 months now, mostly on trips. I've used it in Savannah, Orlando and Houston. I have yet to have a bad experience. All the cars have been modern and clean, and the drivers friendly. The cash-less no tipping allowed system is great. You just use the app to say 'pick me up here and drop me off there' and once you get dropped off you get billed via paypal or a credit card. No cash.
The app shows all 'live' Uber cars within 20 minutes (their maximum allowable arrival time) in real time, and shows them coming to get you. It also tells you driver's name, shows a picture of the driver, and the make/model/color of their ride.
I've thought about being a driver just for fun and to make some extra cash. Uber takes 20% of what you pay, the rest goes directly into the driver's account.
Using the App, I've only seen Uber cars in St Mary's county on the weekends, and always in Leonardtown.
I'm a fan!

bulldog

I know, not a local story, but just an experience...
There were 4 of us at the Army / Navy game in Philly this past weekend. For the previous 11 years, the hotel had provided transportation options to the game. This year, nothing. I asked the clerk what he recommended and he said either Uber or Lyft. The 4 of us were chatting about it and another game-goer overheard us and chimed in that he actually drives for both Uber and Lyft and that he recommended Lyft for a variety of reasons. We tried Lyft and were very happy with it. For the 4 of us, it was $10.51 total to the game and he picked us up in about 6 minutes after the request. The return ride was the same cost, but took longer to link up due to the crazy amount of traffic. Both of the drivers also said they were dual, Uber and Lyft drivers and they both said they have quit Uber in favor of Lyft simply due to the way Uber was raising prices and cutting the amount paid to the drivers.
I really never considered myself as using such a service, but based on these 2 positive experiences, I'd certainly use them again if needed. Cars were clean, drivers were nice. Unfortunately, I don't see an option for Lyft in our area.

Restitution

I have stopped for late night last minute buys at Walmart recently and have seen the drivers sitting in the lot waiting on "calls." I wonder if the Walmart parking lot is the new taxi stand?