Anyplace to buy good bird seed?

onelove6366

Is there ANY PLACE in Charles County to buy good bird seed that is reasonably priced? I can't find anything that is any good anywhere! I bought stuff at Petco and the birds HATED IT. If you buy from the grocery stores, it's small bags and big prices. Big bags decent prices at the other places = crap bird seed. I just want to buy a mix that is ready to go for the birds that is quality stuff! I don't want to have to buy 3 different types of stuff and mix it myself. I know other people down here feed birds too - where do they get their seed?

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Buy just black oil sunflower seed. Don't get food with all the filler seeds as the birds just pick that out. Black oil is better for them, gives them more energy.
You more for your money by just buying good quality seed.
I buy Wetsel, (Wetsel Home) enter zip code and find dealer near you) from Wentworth nursery. It is a clean seed, (not a
lot of stems and junk in the seed) And Wentworth usually has good prices.

Don't buy the "wild bird" mixes, it is a waste of money and seed.

tes218

Is there ANY PLACE in Charles County to buy good bird seed that is reasonably priced? I can't find anything that is any good anywhere! I bought stuff at Petco and the birds HATED IT. If you buy from the grocery stores, it's small bags and big prices. Big bags decent prices at the other places = crap bird seed. I just want to buy a mix that is ready to go for the birds that is quality stuff! I don't want to have to buy 3 different types of stuff and mix it myself. I know other people down here feed birds too - where do they get their seed?

I love to shop at Wild Bird Lovers in Waldorf. They are a small family owned business, have great customer service and knowledgeable employees that seem like they truly love talking to you about any questions you may have. They run great specials on bird seed and we usually order it and they call us when it's in the store. Great place to browse too. Not the cheapest but love to support a local business.
High Quality Wild Bird products, High Quality Pet Food, Natural, Sustainable, Recycled products

Last edited:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I was buying the 40lb bag at Lowes, but it is crap and full of filler, most ends up on the ground. I've been buying Pennington wild bird mix at Walmart.

So, straight up black oil sunflower will be good for all birds? Even though I switched to the Pennington, I still see a lot of it on the ground uneaten. I'm sure the squirrels will be happy the sunflower seed! Right now they empty out the black oil sunflower seed feeder first then roll over to the mix food feeders. I only feed in the evenings now, squirrels get left overs in the morning.

onelove6366

Where is this place you talk about the Wild Bird Lovers in Waldorf? Right now other than the junk food the others posted about on here the best place I am finding seed is Highland Feed Store and that is in Howard County so I'm not getting up that way very often.

Most of the seed available in our county is a lot of junk. Sam's stopped carrying bird seed at all so I'm at a loss. I've bought from Tractor Supply before but don't remember being too impressed.

Buying the sunflower seeds is expensive and not everyone eats them!

I love to shop at Wild Bird Lovers in Waldorf. They are a small family owned business, have great customer service and knowledgeable employees that seem like they truly love talking to you about any questions you may have. They run great specials on bird seed and we usually order it and they call us when it's in the store. Great place to browse too. Not the cheapest but love to support a local business.
High Quality Wild Bird products, High Quality Pet Food, Natural, Sustainable, Recycled products

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I order from DrFostersandSmith.com. If you order over 50.00 it's free shipping so the UPS guys hate me. I order like 80-100 pounds at a time.

onelove6366

Oh I've got enough of those thank you very much! I hate those Starlings and Cow Birds also Grackles. I might be using the wrong name but we all know what I'm referring to.

The other night I look out of my kitchen window to see what's at the feeder hanging out there and what do my wondering eyes see? A raccoon! He had climbed up the metal pole of the hanger thing my husband made for me and was stretched out happily gobbling up everything in the open feeder I have there.

I'm feeding people, cats, birds, fish, raccoons and an occasional possum - sometimes I feel like I am caring for everything on the face of the earth!

Black Oil Sunflower attracts feeder hogs like Starlings.

Lilypad

I usually shop at SS or Tractor Supply; occasionally there will be a special on 40-50# bags-$22.00-25.00. Yesterday a 40# bag cost 24.99.
I just stick w/black oil sunflower seeds; the wild bird food mixed seed is a waste and ends up as "seed-soup." I also buy a Chickadee mix-dried fruit, nuts and black oil seeds...squirrels, chipmunks and a visiting fox like that mix too.
Just 4 years ago at Tractor Supply I got a "managers special" on 50# bags (Morning Star) of black oil seeds for $8.99 ea.!

onelove6366

this looks like just the thing I need! I will definitely be sending this information to my sister and mother in law too! I will start replacing my broken to pieces feeders with these. Just this morning I noticed one of my feeders on the ground. Thank you very much!

I use black oil sunflower seeds and have attracted quite a variety of birds. Alot also depends on the feeder. I found this feeder really works, and squirrels cannot get into it! The RollerFeeder Bird Feeders, Patented Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder.
They are kind of expensive, but I went through too many feeders that the squirrels completely destroyed.

onelove6366

Morningstar is the brand of food that Sam's used to sell - I loved it! The smaller bags they have at the grocery stores (some not many of this brand) are SO expensive! I am more of a one stop shop type of girl for seed and usually don't like to have to create my own concoction but I guess I might have to. Thanks!

I usually shop at SS or Tractor Supply; occasionally there will be a special on 40-50# bags-$22.00-25.00. Yesterday a 40# bag cost 24.99.
I just stick w/black oil sunflower seeds; the wild bird food mixed seed is a waste and ends up as "seed-soup." I also buy a Chickadee mix-dried fruit, nuts and black oil seeds...squirrels, chipmunks and a visiting fox like that mix too.
Just 4 years ago at Tractor Supply I got a "managers special" on 50# bags (Morning Star) of black oil seeds for $8.99 ea.!

onelove6366

Now I see where this place is. didn't click the link before. I will definitely be heading there this weekend! Thanks!

onelove6366

Fed Ex Shipment update says my roller feeder was delivered today. Can't WAIT to try it out! If it is as good as it seems to be - Christmas Presents for my MIL & SIL! I feel a little bad for the deer though. I know with the drought they are hungry and thirsty. I plan on putting a bucket of water out in the yard for them this evening. They eat up my bird seed but I spray my flowers/plants/trees with Liquid Fence so they aren't eating up what I've worked hard to grow! I wish they would eat more of the weeds and such growing up in the woods and yard though! So picky they are!

I'll let you know about the feeder after I've been able to try it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

I use black oil sunflower seeds and have attracted quite a variety of birds. Alot also depends on the feeder. I found this feeder really works, and squirrels cannot get into it! The RollerFeeder Bird Feeders, Patented Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder.
They are kind of expensive, but I went through too many feeders that the squirrels completely destroyed.

Lee Duer

Maclee
Bird Seed

You're right about Wild Bird Lovers. They sell the very best quality and they do care about their customers.

They just put a new feeder on the market this week. It's called the "No Bully" bird feeder and it's just for the small birds. Grackles, starlings and squirrels can't eat from the seed reservoir. Dee's Wild Bird Lovers | Waldorf, Md 20601
They just launched a new web site too. http://www.wildbirdlovers.net/

That's where they publish a monthly newsletter and review products.

Their new "Caption Contest" is hilarious.

Last edited: