Apollo may have liver cancer....or maybe not

black dog

Free America
We have a quality of life mental checklist for watching the critters and making that hard decision to let them go as peacefully as possible.

I do also with my pets, i've always had labs or the last two are chessies. I don't put them down when they don't want to work or swim any longer.
Its a happy dog that can lounge next to the wood stove with knowlwdge one of those hamburgers or steaks going on the grill is his. And no Montreal on his.
About half of the time its been cancer in the underbelly with the females i've had.
I also have always taken my dogs to the vet once a year for checkups.
Usually the bad starts with a house accident, and with that i'm really watching.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So my next dilemma is how I'm going to punish that vet who freaked me out, tried to shake me down for thousand$, and more importantly had me seriously considering euthanizing Apollo.

I have already imagined various scenes of extreme violence, but that doesn't seem a reasonable way to go. But I might change my mind.

I don't really have anything lawsuit worthy or that would be my first avenue of retribution. I could lodge a complaint with their parent company but that seems like a waste of time - nothing ever gets done about that stuff. I'll certainly detail my experience in a Google review to warn others.

I'm just thinking of someone who trusts "authority" either shelling out unnecessary big bucks or (shudder) mistakenly putting their pet down based on this psychotic's recommendation. She needs to pay for this and be strongly encouraged to never do it again.

Any ideas?

ontheriver

So my next dilemma is how I'm going to punish that vet who freaked me out, tried to shake me down for thousand$, and more importantly had me seriously considering euthanizing Apollo.

I have already imagined various scenes of extreme violence, but that doesn't seem a reasonable way to go. But I might change my mind.

I don't really have anything lawsuit worthy or that would be my first avenue of retribution. I could lodge a complaint with their parent company but that seems like a waste of time - nothing ever gets done about that stuff. I'll certainly detail my experience in a Google review to warn others.

I'm just thinking of someone who trusts "authority" either shelling out unnecessary big bucks or (shudder) mistakenly putting their pet down based on this psychotic's recommendation. She needs to pay for this and be strongly encouraged to never do it again.

Any ideas?

Just take care of Apollo... That vet is just what they do. As much as I would like to lash out, I know I can't change a thing about their (the Vet's) heart. It's mostly about money, and sadly, they don't care about your feelings, or even Apollo. I'm sure some Vets do, but after some time they fall right in line with the money.

stgislander

PREMO Member

Any ideas?
Maybe Black Dog could come down and snipe him from 1 or 2000 yards out.

black dog

Free America

Any ideas?

Your a internet girl... Blow there sh!t up on Facebook....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would get a second opinion and let it go.

I am going to write the review, though. Because if the vet says they have all these things wrong with them, and you euthanize your pet based on their diagnosis, and that diagnosis is BS or there was a viable course of action besides putting the pet down, how would you ever know? You'd just kill a beloved pet that could have been treated with simple medication and be none the wiser.

< rant >

This is why I hate doctors (and car mechanics, and lawyers, and pretty much anyone you have to trust). So many of them are money grubbing sociopaths who don't care who they hurt in order to make a buck. They could sit there and watch a child sob and only be thinking how they can make money off this child's pain. I picture them like the dealership people in that Carvana commercial - "We got your car, sweetie!!!"

Obviously I know some talented and ethical doctors and car mechanics and lawyers and whathaveyou, but I've encountered enough bad ones to form a negative opinion of their professions as a whole. Those lawyer and used car salesman jokes come from somewhere, they don't just materialize out of thin air. Plus I'm predisposed to mistrust anyone who holds power over my happiness or well-being - they have to earn trust from me, they don't just get it for free.

< /rant >

Okay, I think it might be out of my system.....for now.

black dog

Free America
Maybe Black Dog could come down and snipe him from 1 or 2000 yards out.
Be careful, I can still bust steel to 1200 yds.lol

With my Browning 45-90 with cast bulleys and open Verniers....when ones see's the big puff of smoke, its too late....

black dog

Free America
I am going to write the review, though. Because if the vet says they have all these things wrong with them, and you euthanize your pet based on their diagnosis, and that diagnosis is BS or there was a viable course of action besides putting the pet down, how would you ever know? You'd just kill a beloved pet that could have been treated with simple medication and be none the wiser.

< rant >

This is why I hate doctors (and car mechanics, and lawyers, and pretty much anyone you have to trust). So many of them are money grubbing sociopaths who don't care who they hurt in order to make a buck. They could sit there and watch a child sob and only be thinking how they can make money off this child's pain. I picture them like the dealership people in that Carvana commercial - "We got your car, sweetie!!!"

Obviously I know some talented and ethical doctors and car mechanics and lawyers and whathaveyou, but I've encountered enough bad ones to form a negative opinion of their professions as a whole. Those lawyer and used car salesman jokes come from somewhere, they don't just materialize out of thin air. Plus I'm predisposed to mistrust anyone who holds power over my happiness or well-being - they have to earn trust from me, they don't just get it for free.

< /rant >

Okay, I think it might be out of my system.....for now.

Do you believe Apollo is moving forward?

Grumpy

Get your 2nd opinion before your go off on the original vet. Unless I missed something, he/she gave you what was their diagnosis of the blood work. Perhaps they aren't adept at giving you percentages of what may be happening. I've been through this many times with vets that I am not familiar with (emergency situations) and them not knowing me gave blunt observations. I know in a lot of cases, it is about the money, but I have said no and lets give it a few days at home with meds I think you are doing the right thing. I could be all wrong and you have used this vet for awhile, so you can ignore this post if you wish.