AR Build

Tech

About to tackle my first AR build, is there any special tools needed or can this be accomplished with "household" tools?

Inkd

About to tackle my first AR build, is there any special tools needed or can this be accomplished with "household" tools?

There are a couple tools that are specific for the AR?

A vise block to hold the upper in place to torque the barrel. Torque wrench and armorers wrench.

A mag block is nice to hold the lower in a vise but not a requirement.

Other than that, good heavy duty masking tape and an assortment of pin punches should do it. Also maybe so me allen heads depending on which foregrip you get.

Be careful putting the front detent and spring for the takedown point in the lower. It's tricky and you can fling some detents. You can put the lower in a large clear plastic bag to catch them, or order extras.

Chris0nllyn

Are you doing a complete upper, and just building the lower?

Either way, when hammeringh in the pin holding the trigger guard in, prop up the tang that has the hole for the pin.

They are known to break off very easily if you don't support it from the underside.

Chris0nllyn

As long as he had the lower completed before October 1st he's good to go. I got two stripped lowers in my safe ready to be built.

That's if he got an 80% lower.

100% stripped lower is what you're talking about, I believe.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm thinking the 80% lower craze has about run its course. Finishing one is not a trivial task and for a while there, 80% lowers were bringing as much as finished ones normally would cost.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what is still legal and what is not as far as rifles go in MD now..still quite a selection of "scary black rifles" for sale at Bob's, for example.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Finishing one is not a trivial task and for a while there, 80% lowers were bringing as much as finished ones normally would cost.

really ?

I know you do machine work, with the JIGS is it really that difficult to mill out the center and drill 3 holes ?

maybe a AK Flat would be an easier project ?

Chris0nllyn

I'm thinking the 80% lower craze has about run its course. Finishing one is not a trivial task and for a while there, 80% lowers were bringing as much as finished ones normally would cost.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what is still legal and what is not as far as rifles go in MD now..still quite a selection of "scary black rifles" for sale at Bob's, for example.

80% Polymer lowers can be finished with a dremel. Plus, it's shipped right to your door, and you don't have to worry about transfer fees, paperwork, and all that jazz.

AR-10s and Colt HBAR Sportster are still legal. And also cash and carry, like a shotgun.

Chris0nllyn

maybe a AK Flat would be an easier project ?

No way.

You have to weld, heat treat, fold, and drill an AK receiver (depending on which one you get).

Once the reciver is done, it's simple. Rivet on the trunnions and put it all back together from a de-milled parts kit.

Chris0nllyn

Unfortunately, it all doesn't matter, because both AR-15 and AK receivers 80% or 100% are illegal now anyway.

Chris0nllyn

SB281.

Sure, you could buy an 80%, because in the eyes of the ATF, it's a paperweight made of aluminum or polymer.

But as soon as you drill a hole, the ATF considers it a firearm (like a 100% lower).

SB281 made "assault weapons" illegal on Oct.1. 100% lowers can't be bought anymore, and if you drill a hole into your 80% lower/receiver you technically made your paperweight into a firearm after they were banned.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
SB281.

Sure, you could buy an 80%, because in the eyes of the ATF, it's a paperweight made of aluminum or polymer.

did MD stipulate you cannot manufacture your own Firearm ... the whole point of 80% lowers, is the law [Federal] does not restrict a person from making their own NON Class II or III Firearm

Chris0nllyn

did MD stipulate you cannot manufacture your own Firearm ... the whole point of 80% lowers, is the law [Federal] does not restrict a person from making their own NON Class II or III Firearm

We all know the laws written were so vague that one can't figure out what is or isn't illegal.

I understand what you are saying, but you are essentially turning a paperweight into a banned firearm. Doesn't exactly sound legal, nor do I want to pay for litigation to figure it out.

If you had the receiver prior to 10/1. You should have drilled one (or more) hole (fire control group hole(s)) to turn it into a "firearm" before the first.

That being said, the state has the burden of proof. They have to prove you completed it after 10/1. Seems like a long shot, but again, nothing I want to find out, or pay for.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
really ?

I know you do machine work, with the JIGS is it really that difficult to mill out the center and drill 3 holes ?

On the Lagun FTV mill, with DRO, it took me about an hour and a half to complete one that is 100% exactly in accordance with the mfrs drawing, including all tolerances. Requires two setups, one to complete all the pocket milling for the trigger group and a second to put the holes through it.

I've seen pictures of the hogged out messes that people have created using a drill press and hand tools......to each their own, I guess.