Are there any forumites on board that are members of any of the area volunteer rescue squads?

NOTSMC

Or more importantly familiar with who is allowed to ride in an ambulance with the person being transported? My son had a drop attack seizure in the Target parking lot today and was bleeding profusely from several gashes above his eyebrow. He was with his aide from the Center for Life Enrichment who was not allowed in the ambulance. Joe is autistic and slightly verbal to people he knows and uncooperative to the max when placed in a unfamiliar situation. I was on the way, but they weren't waiting for me.

I'm trying to figure out what sense it makes for someone like Joe to be transported w/o support.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Or more importantly familiar with who is allowed to ride in an ambulance with the person being transported? My son had a drop attack seizure in the Target parking lot today and was bleeding profusely from several gashes above his eyebrow. He was with his aide from the Center for Life Enrichment who was not allowed in the ambulance. Joe is autistic and slightly verbal to people he knows and uncooperative to the max when placed in a unfamiliar situation. I was on the way, but they weren't waiting for me.

I'm trying to figure out what sense it makes for someone like Joe to be transported w/o support.

Holy cow - is he okay?

PeoplesElbow

I can't answer your question, but hope he is ok. Are you ok?

NOTSMC

Holy cow - is he okay?
Thank you for asking. He's got a gash above his eyebrow, another in his eyebrow, eight stitches, a goose egg on his forehead, another on his eyelid and a road rash on half of his face. He's a mess.

I had a gotten a call from his aide from the center who told me what happened and the medic I believe got on the phone with me. She said his eye was badly injured and because he banged his head she needed to make an assessment of whether she was going to take him to the ER or the trauma center. I told her I'm on the way, where are you taking him? She said I haven't made my assessment yet, I don't know where he's going. I said well I'm on the way up where should I be going? She said all info she would pass on to Joe's aide and he would call me. Ten minutes later, I call back to his aide and the aide said the ambulance took off and I have no idea where they're going, they didn't bother to tell me. At this point, I'm freaked out.

I mean first she tells me serious eye injury. So I'm thinking his eyeball is hanging out or cut or something. Second I have no idea where he is at this point and I'm imagining the worst.

Yuck. just blah day. Hope you get through the storm okay. Thank you again for asking.

NOTSMC

I can't answer your question, but hope he is ok. Are you ok?
Shook. Thanks for asking and he'll be fine, it's just messy now. Saint Mary's Hospital personnel were just wonderful with him, as was the rescue squad except for the "in charge" medic, but I told her exactly why she upset me and she apologized. I don't normally confront people, I was just upset enough to do it today.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thank you for asking. He's got a gash above his eyebrow, another in his eyebrow, eight stitches, a goose egg on his forehead, another on his eyelid and a road rash on half of his face. He's a mess.

I had a gotten a call from his aide from the center who told me what happened and the medic I believe got on the phone with me. She said his eye was badly injured and because he banged his head she needed to make an assessment of whether she was going to take him to the ER or the trauma center. I told her I'm on the way, where are you taking him? She said I haven't made my assessment yet, I don't know where he's going. I said well I'm on the way up where should I be going? She said all info she would pass on to Joe's aide and he would call me. Ten minutes later, I call back to his aide and the aide said the ambulance took off and I have no idea where they're going, they didn't bother to tell me. At this point, I'm freaked out.

I mean first she tells me serious eye injury. So I'm thinking his eyeball is hanging out or cut or something. Second I have no idea where he is at this point and I'm imagining the worst.

Yuck. just blah day. Hope you get through the storm okay. Thank you again for asking.
Demand answers, J...keeping in mind that so many of our emergency service personnel are volunteers (and we need them!) , there will always be some that don't know protocols, or worse, make them up on the spot.

NOTSMC

Contact the Department of Emergency Services in that county and ask for the director. That person should be able to shed some light on it.
That's a good idea. My oldest son was trying to figure out where they were taking him and called the non emergency center and asked. They said they can't release where a patient is being transported. My son said he's autistic, they wouldn't let anyone accompany him, my mom doesn't know where they're taking him. They said sorry, they couldn't help.

NOTSMC

Demand answers, J...keeping in mind that so many of our emergency service personnel are volunteers (and we need them!) , there will always be some that don't know protocols, or worse, make them up on the spot.
You're right I need to track it down. The same thing happened when COVID hit at SMH they told me I couldn't come in with Joe and that ended in a DOJ lawsuit.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Jennifer Aubert-Utz is the Director of Emergency Services the face book page says the phone # is 301 475-4200. Or ask one of your commissioners (there are at least two that are members on this forum).

Tech

Many years ago back in the hometown, we permitted a family member to ride up front, especially if the patient was young or old. Didn't want them bouncing around in back, bounced off the bulkhead a few times. Encouraged them to go by car so they could get home, maybe with the patient.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Shook. Thanks for asking and he'll be fine, it's just messy now. Saint Mary's Hospital personnel were just wonderful with him, as was the rescue squad except for the "in charge" medic, but I told her exactly why she upset me and she apologized. I don't normally confront people, I was just upset enough to do it today.
Glad you both are ok.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

*hug* That gave me anxiety to read it, I can't even imagine going through it.

PeoplesElbow

They had to come to my house last week for my mom, the medic (young very thin girl) was excellent.

Sounds like you just expressed concerns, doesn't sound like a confrontation.

NOTSMC

They had to come to my house last week for my mom, the medic (young very thin girl) was excellent.

Sounds like you just expressed concerns, doesn't sound like a confrontation.
No, it was confrontational. She approached me with a smile saying are you mom? And I'm thinking, yeah lady, pissed off mom. Before she got anything out, I said you told me over the phone that you were going to let my son's aide know where he was going, you said that all info would go through him. You left without saying a word to either of us. I drove all the way up from Saint Inigoes, not knowing what to expect, not knowing where I was supposed to go., I was trying to remain calm while I cried all the way up, you told me that you needed to do your assessment, and I would then know where he was going through his aide, you told me that, twice you told me that, and you didn't tell either of us, you just left. I said that all at once, hand to God, without stopping to breathe.

Think I caught her off guard. She kinda stuttered I apologize and I said thank you and turned my back on her before she could say anything else.

I like medics for the most part, but I've noticed that sometimes the younger ones are so full of themselves that they forget they're dealing with people. Old, grouchy pissed off people.

Bet she won't mistake the eye for the area above the eye again either.